• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mystery Ranch Ewwwwwwww

My zojirushi has a lock on it, has never leaked. I can throw it in a pack and not think twice about, and it keeps coffee almost too hot!

On the Zojirushi - Open the lid, set the mug down, knock the mug over and result is spilled liquid.

On the contigo - press the button to open the lid, set the mug down (opening automatically closes), knock the mug over and this results in NO spilled liquid.

I have only seen Stanley and Contigo have the “dead man” opener. And I used to use a Stanley. It is not as robust as the Contigo.

I have Zojirushi and use it for outdoors. Never near my laptop though.

On the Zojirushi - Open the lid, set the mug down, knock the mug over and result is spilled liquid.

On the contigo - press the button to open the lid, set the mug down (opening automatically closes), knock the mug over and this results in NO spilled liquid.

I have only seen Stanley and Contigo have the “dead man” opener. And I used to use a Stanley. It is not as robust as the Contigo.

I have Zojirushi and use it for outdoors. Never near my laptop though.
I have one for my every day coffee and multiple ones for cold drinks kept in various locations.

Office.
RV.
Golf Bag.
Truck.
Extras in the Kitchen & RV.

I. Do. Not. Have. A. Problem. I can quit any time.

Any. Time.

The American Dream. Start a small, scrappy startup selling a quality product and treating people right. Advertise that you're not like those big, soulless companies that sell cheap crap made in China and only care about the money. Grow it to the point that it's a raging PITA to manage. Quietly sell it to a large, soulless company. Company fires all the employees, exports production, keeps the price the same. Makes bank until folks figure it out. People move onto the next scrappy company. Soulless company bleeds acquisition for what it's worth, discards the husk, and waits for the next acquisition.

Ouch, You’re not wrong.

But…when Dana Gleason started Mystery Ranch in 2000, it wasn’t really a small start up. He founded Dana Designs prior to Mystery Ranch and that company was already well known as the only company producing backpacks that could comfortably carry loads over 100 pounds (Astraplane and Terraplane).

Mystery Ranch has been a massive player in the industry for over 20 years with three main lines (hunting/backpacking/hiking).

It is sad to see them sell to Yeti, I fear it’s only a matter of time before quality takes a dive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Yeti buying MR they will probably maintain quality as they want to be a premium brand. Innovation in the hunting segment will probably suffer as they will probably be looking to come up with a "must have", Instagram worthy, premium pack that the general public will think they need instead of a new hunting specific. If the hunting segment stagnates it could leave room for an innovative startup.

They talk more about the integration and their vision for MR in their latest quarterly call with analysts.

Ouch, You’re not wrong.

But…when Dana Gleason started Mystery Ranch in 2000, it wasn’t really a small start up. He founded Dana Designs prior to Mystery Ranch and that company was already well known as the only company producing backpacks that could comfortably carry loads over 100 pounds (Astraplane and Terraplane).

Mystery Ranch has been a massive player in the industry for over 20 years with three main lines (hunting/backpacking/hiking).

It is sad to see them sell to Yeti, I fear it’s only a matter of time before quality takes a dive.

I haven’t been up on MR much or Yeti but isn’t Yeti well regarded for its coolers?

I haven’t been up on MR much or Yeti but isn’t Yeti well regarded for its coolers?

I’m not the OP but yes, they certainly are. I think the OP’s point was that the consolidation of large American companies (Bass Pro gobbled up Cabelas) is rarely good for the consumer.

I heard Gucci is in talks with Kifaru

Someone may have to fix the joke I don't even know if Gucci is cool anymore. Actually Kifaru may be cooler for the fashionistas now.
That’s almost as bad as Sitka going to Calvin Klein.

Doesn't Yeti know that other companies already have backpack coolers? They planning to make the first 50+ pound cooler backpack? BTW, my Yeti cooler sucks compared to other brands.

The American Dream. Start a small, scrappy startup selling a quality product and treating people right. Advertise that you're not like those big, soulless companies that sell cheap crap made in China and only care about the money. Grow it to the point that it's a raging PITA to manage. Quietly sell it to a large, soulless company. Company fires all the employees, exports production, keeps the price the same. Makes bank until folks figure it out. People move onto the next scrappy company. Soulless company bleeds acquisition for what it's worth, discards the husk, and waits for the next acquisition.

Reminds me of the story of the retired shareholders (their pension was somewhat based upon stock value) that sued their former company to force them to screw over and lay off half the company they had just retired from....to do otherwise would be considered a breach of fiduciary responsibility.

Glad I bought a second Scree when they were on sale.

Doesn't Yeti know that other companies already have backpack coolers? They planning to make the first 50+ pound cooler backpack? BTW, my Yeti cooler sucks compared to other brands.
Just out of curiosity what other brands would you say are better? Genuinely just asking cause my yeti 65 has been pretty bullet proof the last 10 or so years I’ve had it. The RTIC’s I have don’t quite compare but they aren’t far off.

Just out of curiosity what other brands would you say are better? Genuinely just asking cause my yeti 65 has been pretty bullet proof the last 10 or so years I’ve had it. The RTIC’s I have don’t quite compare but they aren’t far off.
My RTICs have won in every test I've done between them as well as my old Colman Extreme. Plus the Yeti weights at least twice as much empty as the others. I'm pretty sure you could run over the Yeti with a 4wheeler and it would be fine though.

My mother in law god bless her bought me a Yeti bucket a few Christmases ago and it came with a leak in it. I didn't say anything, it actually makes a nice rope bucket that way for my rigging gear. The webbing carry strap is a nice touch as far as bucket tech goes.

She bought me Yeti stuff like 4 years in a row and it's all not great.

The soft sided cooler has a zipper only a tard that's never used a soft cooler would design. It's physically painful to reach into one handed.

Another was a fancy 6 pack cooler that is fine but so is the box of free ones I have.

And the other was an accessory pouch for my dumb soft cooler.

So yeah my Yeti experiences are less than impressive.

And my Coleman marine keeps walleyes on ice for 3 days which is hardcore enough for me.

My RTICs have won in every test I've done between them as well as my old Colman Extreme. Plus the Yeti weights at least twice as much empty as the others. I'm pretty sure you could run over the Yeti with a 4wheeler and it would be fine though.
Interesting I do use the coolers in different applications so my opinion is definitely skewed, I’ve never tested them head to head. And the weight difference is very noticeable that’s a fact.

Back