• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Sheds and Deads

The sheds i posted are from MA

In my area the mature bucks were dropping mid to late december and the rest of the bucks seemed to drop late December to early january.

@DroptineKrazy i wonder if your later drop times are due to the warmer ocean air?

The sheds i posted are from MA

In my area the mature bucks were dropping mid to late december and the rest of the bucks seemed to drop late December to early january.

@DroptineKrazy i wonder if your later drop times are due to the warmer ocean air?
This is just a very unscientific anecdotal observation but it seems like when there are more consistent temps over a long duration of time, all the bucks seem to hold their antlers longer. Fluctuating temps seem to have them all dropping earlier. Typically the peak of the bell curve has them dropping more mid February but after that cold snap and then it bumped back up to almost 50 It seems like they dropped right after it warmed up here.

They are usually dropping here by the middle to the end of January in Southern Maine but a little earlier in Northern Maine hence why I think their running a little late this year.

Found this one today , unfortunately he was chewed really bad, I guess I’ll add another pic. I think it was a EHD kill from last year or the year prior.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpeg
    IMG_1216.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1221.jpeg
    IMG_1221.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Saw a 1 1/2 old 6pt last eve and a nice mature buck in N Central Oh. Two scrapes had just been worked and some rubs were very fresh. Later in the eve the bigger one chased a doe past. Just seems really unusual since they should be ready to shed.

Saw a 1 1/2 old 6pt last eve and a nice mature buck in N Central Oh. Two scrapes had just been worked and some rubs were very fresh. Later in the eve the bigger one chased a doe past. Just seems really unusual since they should be ready to shed.
I got the same 2 8 pointers that I got on camera sparring last week sparring again last night. Still haven't dropped yet. Seems late this year. I think I read a study once that said they drop later in the year if there is a good acorn crop the fall before ensuring they go into winter with plenty of fat reserves. Makes sense to me.

I'm not far from you Blacksmith and I've been seeing a few bucks here lately too. I jumped one last year the last week of February last year while shed hunting that had both sides still. Buddy has a trail cam pic last year of a smaller buck breeding a doe on valentine's day...crazy.

Not really close here. Typically Daytona 500 time is when to start. Our deer can and will carry into March.
The big boy that came home after not seeing him all year may be early though. I had his pic on September 18th and he was fully out of velvet. I'm betting he sheds very soon.

Back