• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Sheds and Deads

Jammintree

SH Member
With some snow on the ground my post
Season scouting is underway. After seeing a bunch of buck tracks around one of my hunting areas it was clearly time to take up the track. And what do you know they led me right to a bedding area that I knew was there but hadn’t been able to pinpoint. Lo and behold right next to a fresh bed was a 2 year old shed from a big old buck. 2024 and I’m on the board.

IMG_6050.png

Well I’ve struck again. Today I found a shed that I’ve been looking for for 3 years. It completes a matched pair - I found the other side a few years ago by back tracking faint blood drops along a buck track. IMG_6059.jpegIMG_6060.jpegIMG_6061.jpeg

One side of his rack was broken from fighting and appears that he may have had a drop tine or other non typical tines before they broke off.

IMG_6064.jpegIMG_6062.jpeg

I’ve had a long history with this deer, seeing him repeatedly and almost had a couple shot opportunities with a trad bow. I even got his picture, shortly after he shed these antlers. The coolest part of it was that back in 2021 I found his shed by back tracking him and his blood drops in the snow. In the process I bumped him and got his pic on a trail camera - you can see his Bloody Peticles:

IMG_6065.png

Last edited:
My dad found a small 4 point side the week after Christmas, but it was from last year, we were looking for a deer my grandfather shot at and he about stepping on it. I’m chomping at the bit to go, but wanted to give them a little more time to start dropping. Most of my spots are public land, go too early and bump the deer to a new area before they drop, wait too late and other people find them. Any other guys picking up sheds yet this year?

My dad found a small 4 point side the week after Christmas, but it was from last year, we were looking for a deer my grandfather shot at and he about stepping on it. I’m chomping at the bit to go, but wanted to give them a little more time to start dropping. Most of my spots are public land, go too early and bump the deer to a new area before they drop, wait too late and other people find them. Any other guys picking up sheds yet this year?
Just started dropping where I am in Iowa in the last couple weeks. Was too cold to take my son for a bit and I pretty much just try to go for a few weeks now in this time frame when he can go with me and we can carry the .410 and see if a rabbit or squirrel doesn’t meet its demise at the same time. Keeps it interesting for him on more levels. Couple years ago we almost got ourselves a coyote, I just didn’t have much interest in skinning it, don’t right now either honestly but he’s into the idea so I’d probably do it if the chance presented itself again.

Have been thinking it’s a good way to let the dog run and letting him help out.

I hunted over the weekend mid teens with a lot of wind and the only deer I saw was nice buck who had already dropped. I would not have shot him if given the chance. Changing winds were wreaking havoc on bow distance. So, I decided to do some scouting/shed hunting on Sunday.
Looking for the sheds of one particular buck I never got the opportunity with. Every decent set of tracks I found had coyote tracks and in numbers close by or on top of. I was walking scouting the top benches of one side of a ravine and the opposite side had coyotes barking/howling my direction briefly at ~1pm in afternoon. Pretty eerie as you never hear them middle of the day. I believe my rubber boots moving slowy on the crusty snow prob sounded like deer to them off in the distance the other side. On my return trip a couple hrs later I could see where they had circled me downwind on my back trail.

Didn't pick up any sheds but did thoroughly scour many turned over areas like this beneath singular white oaks that had produced acorns. I've got some dropped pins to mark these areas to revisit as the mast producing trees are few and far between and the deer numbers are thin.

One more week of late season then I'll be putting in some more miles scouting/scouring for sheds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123-232510_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123-232510_Gallery.jpg
    902 KB · Views: 49
This one's been on the ground since last year. RI
Similar to yours @Jammintree with hole in horn prob caused by tick or parasite while in velvet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127-125813_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127-125813_Gallery.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240127-125821_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127-125821_Gallery.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240127-125829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127-125829_Gallery.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 29
Found these today. My buddy found the one on the left. All on the same property.

Attachments

• IMG_5538.jpeg
    IMG_5538.jpeg
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    804.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5516.jpeg
    IMG_5516.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5515.jpeg
    IMG_5515.jpeg
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5537.jpeg
    IMG_5537.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5536.jpeg
    IMG_5536.jpeg
    925 KB · Views: 35
The middle one I believe is last years shed it has some knaw marks on it.

Hey if you guys don’t mind,( hope it’s not intruding) would you post what state your finding sheds, it would be interesting in seeing what states start dropping already, and which ones hold the longest. I’ve only been out once yesterday and walked 2 miles, no shed but am starting to get pics locally of bucks that had antlers earlier this week that now have dropped here in central PA

Hey if you guys don’t mind,( hope it’s not intruding) would you post what state your finding sheds, it would be interesting in seeing what states start dropping already, and which ones hold the longest. I’ve only been out once yesterday and walked 2 miles, no shed but am starting to get pics locally of bucks that had antlers earlier this week that now have dropped here in central PA
I’m sure people will, I can tell you it can even vary by area of the state and what happens weather wise though. My old stomping ground in northern Iowa, darn near Minnesota, have a large variance from where I’m at in the same state.

I think it's a nice to know not an intrusion. I suggested it in the 23' thread.

I don’t mind either mine are in WNY, WMU 9.

Back