• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Climbing Sticks?

Personally, I feel like the double step on top allows you to work more comfortably. A couple times I've fiddled with a ROS or camming a platform and it took more than the typical few seconds.....my legs were starting to scream at me. It's just a comfort thing to me. I also don't need to think about what foot I'm using when coming down in the dark.

Personally, I feel like the double step on top allows you to work more comfortably. A couple times I've fiddled with a ROS or camming a platform and it took more than the typical few seconds.....my legs were starting to scream at me. It's just a comfort thing to me. I also don't need to think about what foot I'm using when coming down in the dark.

I’d rather have the double step on the bottom, given an either or.

I’d rather have the double step on the bottom, given an either or.
Same here, I set the next stick or platform from the bottom step of stick. I find that when I do it from the top it is more awkward for me as I find myself a bit in the way. I'm not tall but a tad over 6'. I have no problem setting the next stick where I need it.

I miss the days you either had Lone Wolf, XOP or some home made sticks. Such simpler times. More about tactics than products.

My .02 is Beast 20” sticks if you favor tree bite, standoff distance and simplicity. Tether One if you favor ultra-lightweight & packability. Pick one or the other, or both if you want.. and make mobile setups based off of that. Tethered One with a saddle setup for long distance packs, Beast with a Hang On for closer, and/or all day sits.

My thoughts.

I wasn’t insulting you btw. Just describing Beast Sticks, as I see them. Reliability is high on my own ladder of priorities as well. The best choice is often well inside the margins, well-rounded so to speak.
No offense taken, sir. Did you make a personal recommendation on a stick choice on this thread? One that you have used and checks all the boxes?

I miss the days you either had Lone Wolf, XOP or some home made sticks. Such simpler times. More about tactics than products.

My .02 is Beast 20” sticks if you favor tree bite, standoff distance and simplicity. Tether One if you favor ultra-lightweight & packability. Pick one or the other, or both if you want.. and make mobile setups based off of that. Tethered One with a saddle setup for long distance packs, Beast with a Hang On for closer, and/or all day sits.

My thoughts.

Products either facilitate a hunter‘s tactics or don’t. With all the product options available on the market, a hunter has a greater selection of tools to support a more diverse tactical approach than ever, I’d say.

But neither of those sticks are really ideal for folks with bigger feet, imo. Standoff distances are 3&5/8” and 3&1/2” (at the tips of the ONE’s). That’s in front of the balls of the foot on probably a booted size 11 and above. A strike against both, imo. But that’s up to the individual to decide.

Products either facilitate a hunter‘s tactics or don’t. With all the product options available on the market, a hunter has a greater selection of tools to support a more diverse tactical approach than ever, I’d say.

But neither of those sticks are really ideal for folks with bigger feet, imo. Standoff distances are 3&5/8” and 3&1/2” (at the tips of the ONE’s). That’s in front of the balls of the foot on probably a booted size 11 and above. A strike against both, imo. But that’s up to the individual to decide.
Haha we can sit here and compare stand-off distances, weight difference in ounces, and all these other measurements under the sun. I promise you, whether I had Beast, XOP, Hawk, LW or Tethrd sticks the “tactical approach” was no different. I strapped them to my stand or pack and went to walking.

Do not overthink it. Focus on scouting, exercising, shooting and time with your family.

Haha we can sit here and compare stand-off distances, weight difference in ounces, and all these other measurements under the sun. I promise you, whether I had Beast, XOP, Hawk, LW or Tethrd sticks the “tactical approach” was no different. I strapped them to my stand or pack and went to walking.

Do not overthink it. Focus on scouting, exercising, shooting and time with your family.

Was walking long before I had a stand or sticks. I enjoyed those days as much as I enjoy these. All sorts of ways to kill a deer.

Personally I like to be standing on 2 feet when setting my next stick.
Double steps is a must or #1 for me and I 1 stick. I want both feet level on a hard surface when I move up my tether and set my platform…….plus I KNOW my stick is most secure that way with pretty much no chance of kicking out. A single step aider is an ez DIY with them and can be made with pretty much any lengthy material Like rope, amsteel, webbing etc..
Second, probably the true #1 or first for me and the other lower budget saddle hunters is Price! Thank you Hawk for letting us get in the game! Hawk sticks IMHO are worth way more than the price. Of course they get modified but which sticks don’t? But even then, I think that is when Hawk sticks shine! They are so easy to modify and for me personally they have held up well to the abuse I put them through.
FWIW-I use a full size Helium with a Schaefer cam cleat, amsteel attachment cord, single step aider, and a giant nite-ize gear tie on top for a handle.
You can quote me if you’d like……lol

I keep hearing all this talk about standoffs and swapping them out. I only wear a size 11, so I’m ignorant on the issues with y’all wearing like 13s etc.… But I don’t even think my feet(toes) touch the tree when I’m on my Helium with stock standoffs. I’ve never noticed it anyway. Do y’all bigfoots have issues with stock Helium’s standoffs?

I keep hearing all this talk about standoffs and swapping them out. I only wear a size 11, so I’m ignorant on the issues with y’all wearing like 13s etc.… But I don’t even think my feet(toes) touch the tree when I’m on my Helium with stock standoffs. I’ve never noticed it anyway. Do y’all bigfoots have issues with stock Helium’s standoffs?

Yea they are terrible. I am good with my size 13s until late season when the heavy insulated boots come out. I can use whatever… gives a calf workout hanging a stand from some sticks but toe room plays into being a factor the later into the season it gets. Atleast for me.

Yea they are terrible. I am good with my size 13s until late season when the heavy insulated boots come out. I can use whatever… gives a calf workout hanging a stand from some sticks but toe room plays into being a factor the later into the season it gets. Atleast for me.
I agree. I'm only a size 11 but when them big heavy clodhoppers come out in the late season, I think that's when a lot of guys realize the importance of standoff distance.

I agree. I'm only a size 11 but when them big heavy clodhoppers come out in the late season, I think that's when a lot of guys realize the importance of standoff distance.

Yup. My first year doing this and I can tell a difference, and I don't even wear the huge insulated boots like the northern guys do. Size 12 and they're only 800gm but a bit more chunky than my early season boots.

BT

Ive been using hawk minis for 3 years now but have been always researching other sticks the whole time 1stly for foot room (3.5" toe space) , 2ndly for weight- the only things I wish to improve. Sz 12.5 boots my calves are cramping beginning of every season. If Im just climbing preset sticks not nearly the problem. After 15 to 20 climbs, calves are built up and more tolerant. I keep looking at EWO's Ultralight but just cant justify $400-450 for 4 sticks coming from 4 Hawks for $100!

Wow, did I open a can of worms.
I would have been better off saying, 2TC or Die :)
I own some double step sticks. I need them with a swaider. But they don't pack as well and packability is important for me.
I started climbing on tree steps. Then went to 4 steps and 3 LW sticks. I am not the most skilled climber on this site. In fact I am a little clumsy.
But I don't feel a big need for double steps without aiders.
Whatever works for you is OK with me. I wasn't trying to upset the crew.
Man, dont feel bad, I'm trying to figure out why most everyone wants to bother with sticks of any dang kind. Set your platform and/or stand up to climb with and leave the extra noise makers and weight in the classifieds. I feel like the guy on instagram, "You mean to tell me for 40 years I could have been doing this" lol.

Back