• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My challenge to you

Sladder only hunting purchase last year besides consumables for me.

Offloaded all the gear I accumulated in the name of why found this site in 2018 in the first place. Get comfortable way to sit in a tree without packing a climber or 30lbs of hangon and sticks and packs.

Gen 1 hybrid Frankenstein, jx3 top stick, sladder or titanium bolts, let’s ride.

The scouting time will be the issue. My kid weighs 27lbs at 10 months. Even if she’s walking great by next season, I’m still going to have to carry her some. Toting a 35lb angry tired elf for miles won’t be fun. Unless I get that new exo pack…

Offloaded all the gear I accumulated in the name of why found this site in 2018 in the first place. Get comfortable way to sit in a tree without packing a climber or 30lbs of hangon and sticks and packs.

Gen 1 hybrid Frankenstein, jx3 top stick, sladder or titanium bolts, let’s ride.

The scouting time will be the issue. My kid weighs 27lbs at 10 months. Even if she’s walking great by next season, I’m still going to have to carry her some. Toting a 35lb angry tired elf for miles won’t be fun. Unless I get that new exo pack…
I think my kidneys are still bruised from carrying my kicking daughter in a backpack while scouting when she was a kid . . . she turns 30 this year. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

I’m pretty sure that would make the Exo pack a child care purchase and not a hunting purchase. Just saying……

I challenge you to not buy a new piece of gear this season. More likely than not you have equipment that is better than you had even 5 years ago and more than good enough to help you kill whitetails.

In place of new gear purchases I propose you spend an extra XX number of days in the woods this post season scouting. This will bring you more success next fall than your next purchase.

*Replacement items like arrows, broadheads, strings, new boots for the ones that leak are permitted, etc.

Best of luck!
Love the sentiment of your message. But...

I'm going to do what I want.

If I find a deal on something I've had my eye on... I'm buying it.

If someone ( maybe a little guy like me ) comes up with a brilliant idea that makes my life easier or streamlines my performance out there, I'm supporting him/her.

I'm in a position in my life where I can do that AND spend more time in the woods this off-season.

The first two orders of business for ME?

First. Practice and improve my 2TC skills and setting platforms.
- This place has already saved me A LOT of weight to trek into the woods and if you guys open my eyes to more, I'm using that
knowledge.

Second. Meet up with people who are smarter than me when it comes to finding Bucks. BIG Bucks.
- I have a business associate who is REALLY, REALLY good at this and he wants to help. GREAT guy.

AGAIN. I love the sentiment of you message OP.

ETA: I have NO idea why this was bolded...

It’s pretty sweet. Much less flex than the version 1…. And is the perfect little foot rest to use in conjunction with a ROS
I saw their video on FB explaining why the V1 flexed as well as offered to replace all V1 platforms in the field. I thought that with a 2TC setup would be a great lightweight setup. Especially for how I hunt.

For everyone who is laughing or saying they bought something already so they're out, you're missing the point. The idea is if you get out and put more time in the woods it will do more for your success than that next gear purchase.
I posted before reading the thread.

Ok I’ll bite but only in spirit of the law not by the letter. I don’t need another oz of saddle gear or gizmos. I’ll commit to upping my scouting game & put less energy into the hobby of researching/ buying gear. That said some of the goals I have more myself are to have more adventure experiences & less focus on shooting the biggest buck on the planet. I want to put more emphasis on enjoying the experience & not solely the kill. I want to plan & do more backpack trips to long term hone my skills for successful western hunts but also to get more enjoyment from some semi local opportunities. I have MOST of what I need for this, pack & camping wise & doesn’t require saddle upgrades. If I need small stuff to facilitate this I’m gonna get it. But otherwise fully commit to the proposed challenge!

In regards to your challenge, does a new 20' Jet boat count? I'm selling my 18'r and upgrading to a 20' cause I have 3 G-kids and wife that love to fish. Not enough room in the 18'r. Plus who doesn't want a 150HP instead of a 65HP? I've been known to use it quite a bit to get to some public islands and landlocked state land that has no other access. That may classify it as Hunting gear.

As far post season scouting, On said islands, I have already scouted 2 of them this post season. Located 2 trees that are prime spots for SW wind and and a N wind tree. Last week I prepped 2 of those trees. Today we have fresh snow, so I will be out on a private piece seeing what intel I can gather and possibly trim out one or two trees that didn't get done last year. Tomorrow I plan to check out 2 more islands and possibly prep 1 or 2 trees depending on what I see.

Possibly in the next couple weeks I plan to get to those landlocked state grounds and thoroughly check them out. Hopefully there will be snow on the ground still.

Just got back in from the woods and a 2 hour scouting trip. It was a super productive 2 hours. I found my first shed of the year and I added 2 great looking ambush locations to my rotation for next year.

5904978c77cc236e6ad1a13e376085bd.jpg

cd0b6350c14f1365f9a560a6ff81e263.jpg

I challenge you to not buy a new piece of gear this season. More likely than not you have equipment that is better than you had even 5 years ago and more than good enough to help you kill whitetails.

In place of new gear purchases I propose you spend an extra XX number of days in the woods this post season scouting. This will bring you more success next fall than your next purchase.

*Replacement items like arrows, broadheads, strings, new boots for the ones that leak are permitted, etc.

Best of luck!
Are arrows for TAC on this list? Otherwise I got this challenge licked.

In regards to your challenge, does a new 20' Jet boat count? I'm selling my 18'r and upgrading to a 20' cause I have 3 G-kids and wife that love to fish. Not enough room in the 18'r. Plus who doesn't want a 150HP instead of a 65HP? I've been known to use it quite a bit to get to some public islands and landlocked state land that has no other access. That may classify it as Hunting gear.

As far post season scouting, On said islands, I have already scouted 2 of them this post season. Located 2 trees that are prime spots for SW wind and and a N wind tree. Last week I prepped 2 of those trees. Today we have fresh snow, so I will be out on a private piece seeing what intel I can gather and possibly trim out one or two trees that didn't get done last year. Tomorrow I plan to check out 2 more islands and possibly prep 1 or 2 trees depending on what I see.

Possibly in the next couple weeks I plan to get to those landlocked state grounds and thoroughly check them out. Hopefully there will be snow on the ground still.
Where are you located?
Have a buyer for your 18’ er?

Back