• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Archery Target

Old rags and clothes is all I used in the 80's before I had money for targets. They would stop any field point with no issue and do it forever. The only trouble was if you left it in the rain. I never used a box but used old feed sacks like @JC3.
Another great target but not real practical is using flattened cardboard boxes. I took the old cardboard boxes that I got from stocking Piggly Wiggles shelves at night. I stacked them horizontally on a pallet until it was about 4 foot high and ratchet it down. That thing lasted forever, with tin over it.
Heck, I may do both of those type targets again.

Another material that you can use, instead of cardboard boxes, is carpet padding from a rip-out. My buddy does flooring... take (2) 2'x3' pieces of 3/4" plywood (one top and one bottom) and layer the padding until you reach your preferred height. We used ratchet straps or threaded rods to tighten everything down. Maybe not the easiest to pull arrows out of, but...

Feed bags stuffed to old clothes or walmart bags works as well

what would be the standard target size for 20, 30, 40yards? in terms of diameter?

I've been using cut-outs traced from my iphone for 20 yards which is not the best shape and maybe a tad big.

I stuffed my backstop with plastic store bags and covered it with doubled reinforced vinyl tarp. It's only 4 inches deep with a 1/4 inch plywood back and I packed it really tight. I have only had 2 broadheads make it into the plywood and no field points.

what would be the standard target size for 20, 30, 40yards? in terms of diameter?

I've been using cut-outs traced from my iphone for 20 yards which is not the best shape and maybe a tad big.
Use a sharpie or markalot and circle the inside of a roll of teflon tape. If that is smaller than you want, use the inside of a roll of duck tape.

There's some old posts on using foam floor mats from Harbor Freight for targets. Might not be as budget as you're looking for but they're well-reviewed.

There's some old posts on using foam floor mats from Harbor Freight for targets. Might not be as budget as you're looking for but they're well-reviewed.

I built one. It works great for my target bow that only shoots a 50 pound draw and uses 23 sized arrows, but my hunting arrows went pretty far through it. If it weren't for my stall mat back stop I would have probably lost some fletchings. This was from my Enkore shooting a 475gr victory rip xv arrow. I can't remember the fps.

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_212947_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_212947_Gallery.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240126_212959_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_212959_Gallery.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240126_213009_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_213009_Gallery.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240126_213019_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_213019_Gallery.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 17
For really cheap (but effective) target, get a feed bag and stuff it tightly with old clothes (any material will do) and zip tie the top shut.
You can also fill it with plastic bags and stretch wrap or all of the above together !!
I made one with a giant rice bag stuffed with plastic bags and some shrink wrap. I would suggest avoiding the shrink wrap. It really grabs the arrow when you’re retrieving it and also leaves a sticky residue on the arrow shaft.

The grain bag full of plastic bags works great. Over time I add more bags to account for the shredding caused by the arrows in the center of the target. It’s also good to use grain bag that you have access others of identical size. This way, when your bag gets too shredded you can simply slip it inside an identical one and continue using it.

I put a shoulder strap on my bag so that I can carry it into the woods to practice shooting through and around obstacles.

I made one with a giant rice bag stuffed with plastic bags and some shrink wrap. I would suggest avoiding the shrink wrap. It really grabs the arrow when you’re retrieving it and also leaves a sticky residue on the arrow shaft.

The grain bag full of plastic bags works great. Over time I add more bags to account for the shredding caused by the arrows in the center of the target. It’s also good to use grain bag that you have access others of identical size. This way, when your bag gets too shredded you can simply slip it inside an identical one and continue using it.

I put a shoulder strap on my bag so that I can carry it into the woods to practice shooting through and around obstacles.

I stuffed one of these target bags with old plastic shopping bags, plastic wrap, some shrink wrap, etc and it works great. Took awhile though to save up enough bags to stuff it full and keep it all compressed, but we'll worth it in my opinion. Id stuff a bunch of bags down in there and stomp around inside the bag to compress it, then fill it again. Self checkout helps to double bag allvyour groceries lol.

SO much lighter than the bags stuffed with old rags/clothes and does just as good a job at stopping the arrows. I got these bags for $20 for a 2 pack but can't find them anymore. It's the one on the bottom.

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_213331_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_213331_Gallery.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 18
I stuffed one of these target bags with old plastic shopping bags, plastic wrap, some shrink wrap, etc and it works great. Took awhile though to save up enough bags to stuff it full and keep it all compressed, but we'll worth it in my opinion. Id stuff a bunch of bags down in there and stomp around inside the bag to compress it, then fill it again. Self checkout helps to double bag allvyour groceries lol.

SO much lighter than the bags stuffed with old rags/clothes and does just as good a job at stopping the arrows. I got these bags for $20 for a 2 pack but can't find them anymore. It's the one on the bottom.

BT
It does take a while. Though once i built the first one I started saving bags for a second one. I’m now saving toward a third one - my goal is to build a 3D course / have a backyard shooting range with targets at different distances.

There’s some cool ideas.

Is any of this saving anyone any actual money though?

I bought a morrel bag target four seasons ago, and it stops 550gr arrows moving 280fps today. It sits in the sun and rain in the backyard.

I bought a rhinehart 18-1 octagonal block target 6 seasons ago, that sits in the snow at 9000’ in Colorado the last four seasons. Same excellent working condition.

I spent 300.00 combined on these two targets. I can shoot out to 80 yards with no concern of a need for a backstop, and I’m guessing I’ve shot 2000+ into the bag, and 2000+ into the block. Both of those number may be low.

7 cents a shot. With zero time spent thinking about it, or not making money or hanging with my kid.

Not putting down the DIY aspect.

But 40.00 for a cardboard box with perfectly good building materials being chopped up and glued in, that in no way will last 600 shots (the break even for 7 cents per shot, NOT including the time and effort to think about and build).

We’ve got some stuff figgered out already!

There’s some cool ideas.

I bought a morrel bag target four seasons ago, and it stops 550gr arrows moving 280fps today. It sits in the sun and rain in the backyard.

I bought a rhinehart 18-1 octagonal block target 6 seasons ago, that sits in the snow at 9000’ in Colorado the last four seasons. Same excellent working condition.

I spent 300.00 combined on these two targets. I can shoot out to 80 yards with no concern of a need for a backstop, and I’m guessing I’ve shot 2000+ into the bag, and 2000+ into the block. Both of those number may be low.

7 cents a shot. With zero time spent thinking about it, or not making money or hanging with my kid.

But 40.00 for a cardboard box with perfectly good building materials being chopped up and glued in, that in no way will last 600 shots (the break even for 7 cents per shot, NOT including the time and effort to think about and build).

I think in a sense of wanting multiple targets without breaking the bank, it helps. I can have a target set up at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards. I'm not going to shoot the 60 yard target as much, so it won't get as much abuse, so a DIY option just fits better. The 20 yard target, on the other hand, is that bulldog target. It will take years of abuse and has a warranty.

My main reason for doing the foam mat target was to have a flat backer to attach paper targets to, for my spot practice with my target bow. I tried putting those targets up on bag targets, but the pins wouldn't hold or they would be curled/curved at the edges.

BT

I picked up some arrow grease somewhere - probably the same goop as my string wax, in a different label - and it seems to help. Arrows pull out easier, and don't get as much plastic residue on them.

There’s some cool ideas.

I know I have saved a lot of money. I have less than 100 USD in mine and have thousands of shots on it. She is really big and heavy as I used old clothes. The ongoing costs are a rattle can to paint dots on it, and the Third Hand target covers. I am still on my originals. My bag target only lasted a few hundred shots and I got very frustrated taking the target down and standing on the target to pull out my arrows.

I don't shoot broadheads into my target, but I can easily pull my arrows. I am well under 7 cents per shot :)

I know I have saved a lot of money. I have less than 100 USD in mine and have thousands of shots on it. She is really big and heavy as I used old clothes. The ongoing costs are a rattle can to paint dots on it, and the Third Hand target covers. I am still on my originals. My bag target only lasted a few hundred shots and I got very frustrated taking the target down and standing on the target to pull out my arrows.

I don't shoot broadheads into my target, but I can easily pull my arrows. I am well under 7 cents per shot :)

How long did it take you to build? Not just actual build time, but the time spent researching it, thinking about it, and then execution.

What is the cost of that to you?

I’m at 7c per shot yesterday. I’ll be at 5c a shot by the end of the year. I’ll probably replace both targets at beginning of next season, where I’m around 3-4 c per shot.

Money isn’t everything. But time, money, effort, focus just seems out of whack.

It feels good to make things. But the proposal was that the point of making it DIY was to save money.

How long did it take you to build? Not just actual build time, but the time spent researching it, thinking about it, and then execution.

I’m at 7c per shot yesterday. I’ll be at 5c a shot by the end of the year. I’ll probably replace both targets at beginning of next season, where I’m around 3-4 c per shot.

It feels good to make things. But the proposal was that the point of making it DIY was to save money.
You bring up a great point! I likely have a dozen or two hours into it. However, the bag target I bought was costing me much time and frustration trying to pull my arrows out.

I just have our receiving guys at work stuff empty rag boxes (30x20 ish) full of shrink wrap that they take off of incoming pallets of freight. Zero cost to me only time is loading and off loading them from my truck. Have about 12 plus a few Morrels most of the time. Just replace the DIY ones when needed.

I'm not trying to discount what you're saying here (I just bought a new target this week) but for many of the folks here, it's not just about the money.

I can't speak for everyone but I certainly enjoy the problem solving and research aspects of doing DIY even more than the actual building (which I enjoy) and saving money. I started DIY ostensibly to save money (about 35 years ago) but the real pleasure of it is designing/making something and knowing that I did it myself. Sure, these days I'm fortunate enough that I can generally buy what I want but I still make all of my soft hunting gear myself and much of my other gear as well. It's simply fun for me so I don't consider the cost of my time. If I did, I'd be spending/losing far more money than if I just bought something. There's also a "teach by example" aspect for my kids, who have learned a lot about "doing for yourself" and how to figure out/design & build something rather than just learning how to be consumers. That's worth more than my weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.

Back