• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Archery Target

mschultz373

SH Member
wondering if there's a decent cost-effective DIY archery target anyone has tried? I am not against getting a nice Morrell or Rhinehard, just trying to be frugal and be able to practice more.

this is how i have been making a cheap one:

Basically used your schematic but filled the box with 1” foam board. Cracks filled with spray foam. Going to try it in the morning.

$36 total.

fcbcb972785b40519bac659f527d5922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically used your schematic but filled the box with 1” foam board. Cracks filled with spray foam. Going to try it in the morning.

$36 total.

fcbcb972785b40519bac659f527d5922.jpg

Be careful....lube your arrows....I did a similar project with 2" foam core and my arrow got stuck so tight I had to cut away the target to free the arrow. Long story short, I skewered my hand trying the remove the arrow (with sharpened Magnus stinger)

For field points I made a 40x40x16 inch box, filled it with old clothes (buttons and zippers removed), wrap in chicken wire, black landscape fabric, and third hand 48x48 inch target cover. Lifetime target

The foam box def works, arrows do get lodged in there pretty good but I just pull em out and stay patient. I’ll be shooting my small backyard with neighbors all around so I am confident pass thru will not happen which is a major concern. I have a large sheet of 3/4” ply as a backstop in case but it’s working as well as I would have hoped!

for backstops, the horse mats work well from what i hear and wouldnt be as rough on your arrows as the plywood....ive bought hay bales and stacked them which works well but eventually still allows them through if you shoot enough.

Heard the same, just conserving my money. The arrows weren’t close to pass thru the box as of yet so I think I have plenty of time.

The Morrell M48 is just a frame filled with clothes and fabrics. You could build one of easy. Buy a cover or make a cover.

For really cheap (but effective) target, get a feed bag and stuff it tightly with old clothes (any material will do) and zip tie the top shut.
You can also fill it with plastic bags and stretch wrap or all of the above together !!

For field points I made a 40x40x16 inch box, filled it with old clothes (buttons and zippers removed), wrap in chicken wire, black landscape fabric, and third hand 48x48 inch target cover. Lifetime target
Old rags and clothes is all I used in the 80's before I had money for targets. They would stop any field point with no issue and do it forever. The only trouble was if you left it in the rain. I never used a box but used old feed sacks like @JC3.
Another great target but not real practical is using flattened cardboard boxes. I took the old cardboard boxes that I got from stocking Piggly Wiggles shelves at night. I stacked them horizontally on a pallet until it was about 4 foot high and ratchet it down. That thing lasted forever, with tin over it.
Heck, I may do both of those type targets again.

Old rags and clothes is all I used in the 80's before I had money for targets. They would stop any field point with no issue and do it forever. The only trouble was if you left it in the rain. I never used a box but used old feed sacks like @JC3.
Another great target but not real practical is using flattened cardboard boxes. I took the old cardboard boxes that I got from stocking Piggly Wiggles shelves at night. I stacked them horizontally on a pallet until it was about 4 foot high and ratchet it down. That thing lasted forever, with tin over it.
Crap, can't believe I spelled Piggly Wiggly wrong!!!!
Where is the edit feature?!?!?

I call my fiancé Piggly Wiggles…

This foam target is loosening up a bit which is nice. I may make another with rags and all.

I made a 3ft x 3ft x 1 ft frame and stuffed it with the insides of two old bag targets I shot to pieces and some additional fabric and foam pieces I had laying around. I was going to buy the front and back material from Third Hand Archery, but then I ran across and old post on here that suggested picking up lumber wrap from a lumber yard that they were going to throw away. They looked at me kind of funny when I asked for the used lumber wrap, but they let me have it. The lumber wrap won't last as long as a commercial product since the holes don't close up, but it's working fine so far and I can get another one for free if this one gets too shot up. Screenshot_20230909-070946-320.png

What he said X2. I’ve made them with plastic Walmart bags and repurposed plastic wrap.

My fiancé gave me an unwanted old rug that I’m gonna make a target from. Cut it up and stuff in a box. But how should I orient the cut rug? Should I orient the pieces parallel to the ground, or perpendicular? I assume the latter but figured I’d ask…

Back