• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for a cheap recurve - FOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
Hey guys & gals, I've been thinking of buying a cheap recurve to play around with in the yard just to have fun flinging arrows. Anybody got a used one collecting dust. I'd like to keep it at $100 or less if possible. I'm thinking 30 pounds at 28" maybe. My draw is 29.5 with my compound and I shoot right handed. Any suggestions on a new bow are also welcome. Thanks.

I'd suggest looking into the "Black Hunter" recurve or longbow. They can be had under $100, are available on Amazon and Ebay as well as other archery shops but are usually re-branded at a higher price.
They're glass back/belly and a bamboo core and shoot very nice.
I believe there are some knock offs out there but if you stick with the Obert, Mandrin Duck, Glurak and various others (you'll have to do some research here) you'll probably get a good one.
I'd suggest making sure the riser and limbs match up if ordering extra limbs because there's a squared off limb design vs. a tapered limb design where they bolt up to the riser. Both will fit and doesn't effect performance just esthetics.
The recurve vs the longbow perform about the same due to the thinner profile of the limbs on the longbow.
There are reviews all over doing a quick Google search and several videos on YouTube of this bow.

Last edited:
I'd suggest looking into the "Black Hunter" recurve or longbow. They can be had under $100, are available on Amazon and Ebay as well as other archery shops but are usually re-branded at a higher price.
They're glass back/belly and a bamboo core and shoot very nice.
I believe there are some knock offs out there but if you stick with the Obert, Mandrin Duck, Glurak and various others (you'll have to do some research here) you'll probably get a good one.
I'd suggest making sure the riser and limbs match up if ordering extra limbs because there's a squared off limb design vs. a tapered limb design where they bolt up to the riser. Both will fit and doesn't effect performance just esthetics.
The recurve vs the longbow perform about the same due to the thinner profile of the limbs on the longbow.
There are reviews all over doing a quick Google search and several videos on YouTube of this bow.
Sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'll check em out. Thanks.

Sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'll check em out. Thanks.
So if you are willing to spend just a little more. Big Jim's stock a high end Black Hunter model for $130. Big Jim is a big name(pun intended) in the trad community. His custom bows are on like.....12+ months waitlist. But he speak highly of the Black Hunter and have these special order directly from the manufacturer for him.

Or you can go a little more and get the Elite riser and limbs separately. Riser is $69 and limbs are $69. So $140ish total?

I would personally get the Elite Riser because its aesthetically very nice.

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist and Goodwill. You can often find older high quality bows cheap.

Just got a deal on a brand new recurve for less than $96 bucks. I can also upgrade the limbs if need be. Thanks for the help guys.

So if you are willing to spend just a little more. Big Jim's stock a high end Black Hunter model for $130.
Quick question. What makes big Jim's black hunter different from the black hunters off Amazon or other places? Does he do anything special to them prior to selling?

Quick question. What makes big Jim's black hunter different from the black hunters off Amazon or other places? Does he do anything special to them prior to selling?
I don't think he does anything special to them except quality control and he offer a one year warranty. But he offer them with longbow limbs too.

The bow themselves are more well put together in general based on what the guys over at leatherwall are saying. While they are design from the BH form, I think they are made by Deerseeker and are originally called the Mesa.

I have a black hunter from Big Jim and can say its an awesome bow compared to the Sammick Sage I got from Amazon. Just waiting on the shipping notice on the Thunder Child any day now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back