• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What does your arrow cost?

About $59 rough estimate
- Victory RIP TKO Elite shafts
- G5 Megameat broadhead
- Nockturnal Lighted Nock
- Easton Brass HIT insert
- Iron Will Impact Collar
- AAE Max Stealth Vanes
Highjacked; @Freddybowhunter now that the season is over, how did you like this arrow build? Sounds money. If you give it good ratings I might have to build a few and see how she tunes

Just did the math, I’m sitting at 33.75 with expandables and around 29.00 with Magnus heads.

Black eagle carnivore shafts
Ethics 200 gr inserts
G5 dead meat heads
4 boening heat vanes
Vinyl wrap from Amazon
Nock off nokturnal nocks

Highjacked; @Freddybowhunter now that the season is over, how did you like this arrow build? Sounds money. If you give it good ratings I might have to build a few and see how she tunes
I still love it. Wouldn’t change a thing about it. I’ve yet to break a G5 Megameat blade on an animal. I’ve only broken 1 RIP TKO Elite shaft and that was lodged in an offside shoulder. I really think the iron will impact collars help big time with arrow shaft durability.

Can’t recommended this setup enough

Good enough! Heading to the classified section to see if I can find a few to mess with.
I still love it. Wouldn’t change a thing about it. I’ve yet to break a G5 Megameat blade on an animal. I’ve only broken 1 RIP TKO Elite shaft and that was lodged in an offside shoulder. I really think the iron will impact collars help big time with arrow shaft durability.

Can’t recommended this setup enough

Good enough! Heading to the classified section to see if I can find a few to mess with.
I have a fairly similar arrow setup and love it.

- RIP TKO Elite
- AAE Max Stealth set up with a left helical
- AAE IP #5 (don’t like lighted nocks)
- IW 50gr insert
- IW Ti 10gr collar
- IW SBL 100

One thing I found to work better for me personally was gluing the entire head and insert in as a single piece rather than setting the insert and then screwing the broadhead in. I struggled a bit with the HIT tool getting it seated to the right depth and couldn’t get my broadheads indexed the way I wanted them.

My process is is basically:
- Prep shaft
- Screw head into insert
- Heat up with heat gun
- Roll in blue glue
- Insert and index
- Wipe off excess
- Let it cool

If you need to change something I will heat up some water, dip the front of the arrow in and pull the whole assembly out. Zero issues with broadheads pulling out even on the toughest/most dense targets. Indexing and getting them to spin true is way easier for me this way.

So does an an expensive arrow fly better than a “budget” arrow if both are properly tuned?
Not in my experience. I used to buy clearance arrows from Walmart at the end of the year. $2 arrows were awesome to fling and destroy. I’d cut them from both ends and use good components. They flew fine. However, the more expensive arrows are way more consistent and require less work. Plus the more expensive arrows are much more durable.

With a Target point I am looking at less than 14.00 per arrow. Jump to a good single bevel broadhead & buying black Friday specials I'm under $40.00 per arrow with a good broadhead. Jump that to a premium S7 broadhead we are looking at closer to 55.00 per arrow

Last edited:
Well let's see if I can add this up since I've just decided to build all new arrows for this season.

RIP TKO Elites - 190/12 = 15.83
IW HIT Inserts 25g- 25/6 = 4.17
IW Collars 10g - 35/6 = 5.83
AAE Hunter Hybrid vanes - 20/13 = 1.54
WWA 4" wraps - $20/12 = 1.67
AAE IP nocks - 11/12 = 0.92
IW 125g Single Bevels - 120/3 = 40

That's $69.96 per built arrow +/- a few cents, before tax. If I add the 9.75% sales tax if comes to $76.78. Ugh.

I remember justifying getting into archery to SAVE money over shooting and reloading because I could reuse the arrows and wouldn't have to get more very often.

I've since gone through 3 different brands of arrows, 3 different spine weights, and 4 different shaft models.

I've saved nothing lol.

BT

Well let's see if I can add this up since I've just decided to build all new arrows for this season.

That's $69.96 per built arrow +/- a few cents, before tax. If I add the 9.75% sales tax if comes to $76.78. Ugh.

I remember justifying getting into archery to SAVE money over shooting and reloading because I could reuse the arrows and wouldn't have to get more very often.

I've since gone through 3 different brands of arrows, 3 different spine weights, and 4 different shaft models.

I've saved nothing lol.

BT
9.75%! Boy that's a tough pill to swallow! Ugh!

I've saved nothing lol.

BT
Are you still hanging out over on AT or did we convert you?... :sweatsmile: sure didn't take you long to figure us out lol

9.75%! Boy that's a tough pill to swallow! Ugh!

Tell me about it. We get a couple of "tax free" days a year for certain things. School supplies are tax free and a couple of other things i thimk. Last year I think there was a week or so that was tax free for groceries.

But, we do not have a state income tax so I guess it evens out.

BT

Are you still hanging out over on AT or did we convert you?... :sweatsmile: sure didn't take you long to figure us out lol

Lol I still post over there from time to time. Mostly just browse the general archery forum and the Elite brand specific forum. Sometimes checkout the classifieds.

BT

Aluminum arrow 4-fletched with 2 or 3” feathers, plus glue on adapter and ace broadhead puts me right about at $20 for a hunting arrow and just over half that with a field point. Last batch of shafts I got on clearance, $35/doz so those would be less yet. Also less when I fletch with feathers from turkeys I shot.

Want to share this in this thread incase anyone in the "trial shafts" thread didn't see it - sale ends last day of April. I saved quite a bit on my dozen TKO shafts. This is at Extreme Outfitters.

1000003781.jpg

BT

Back