• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why has this happened?

I use a velcro rest and it wears similar to what you have happening. I shoot cock feather in so the wear is on the outer part of the shelf. I agree with the others that brace height need to be adjusted and it is probably time for a new string if you shoot a fair bit.

Ok, just so I understand. Because brace height was way off, this caused the nock point to move up, causing fletching contact. But I'm missing something or am not understanding something. Wouldn't that cause contact at the BACK side of the riser, not the BELLY side which is what appears to be from the picture. Or does string stretch move nock point up AND down depending on string?

1708443575359.png

Ok, just so I understand. Because brace height was way off, this caused the nock point to move up, causing fletching contact. But I'm missing something or am not understanding something. Wouldn't that cause contact at the BACK side of the riser, not the BELLY side which is what appears to be from the picture. Or does string stretch move nock point up AND down depending on string?

View attachment 100017
If the nock height is set when the brace height is correct, and then the string stretches, yes the nock height goes higher. But there's more to it than that. An incorrect brace can cause all sorts of tuning issues. I'm not saying that either of these corrections will fix her problem, but she can't rely that any adjustment will be consistent and dependable if the brace height is off. Gotta get brace and nock corrected before you can reliably troubleshoot the other problems.
Nock tightness on the string can be an underlying issue with determining correct brace, too. Nocks that are too tight generally cause all sorts of issues.

Last edited:

View attachment 100017
Also when a string stretches the brace height becomes lower. Lower brace height can stiffen the dynamic spine of an arrow potentially causing wear to the front outer corner of your shelf.

Once my brace height is set I will nock an arrow then put a straight edge against the back of the riser and across the arrow and mark that spot. Then I will use a Sharpie to make a crest line on the arrow, helps to check your brace height in the field.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 28
Finally got a chance to shoot. I cranked the brace height to 7.5. Put some lip stick on the outside hen feather. It shot very well, much better than before. There was a little lipstick on the back outside edge of the shelf.

I practice every day so once a week minimum I'm going to check BH on my bows. And order a new string.

I'm thinking that was the problem though. Nock height is good.

Really appreciate the advice and help y'all.
God bless.

Last edited:
Back