• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Off-Season Getting/Staying In Shape Motivation Thread

today was a rest day for me, but still did some walking on the treadmill and some light yoga.

Tomorrow is 13 miles
Do you have a yoga/stretching routine that you follow? I know the basic stretches from running track back in the day but generally skimp on them/get bored and stop so am thinking a routine/video to follow along might be better

For running related stretching I do a dynamic warm up routine Dynamic Stretching
and a myrtle cool down if I run more than 5 miles (narrator is annoying) Myrtle Routine

For Yoga - My health insurance gives me free Apple Fitness Plus. I just pick a random routine from their recent releases. Since it's "free" I just hold my nose and get through the poor music choices and annoying other things about apple fitness plus.

today I did learn a new move though that hit my back just right. no idea what it's called.

Last edited:
For running related stretching I do a dynamic warm up routine Dynamic Stretching
and a myrtle cool down if I run more than 5 miles (narrator is annoying) Myrtle Routine

For Yoga - My health insurance gives me free Apple Fitness Plus. I just pick a random routine from their recent releases. Since it's "free" I just hold my nose and get through the poor music choices and annoying other things about apple fitness plus.

today I did learn a new move though that hit my back just right. no idea what it's called.
Thanks. Both of those links go to Myrtle, did you mean this one for dynamic stretching?

sorry about that. I edited the link to show the warm up dynamic I use.
My favorite are the "soldiers" and the high knees just get my blood pumping

Didn’t quite hit the pacing I wanted but still happy

4803d64074b74a5bef6428aca21155da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slow and steady wins the race!

Your self eval says moderate effort and you feel very strong, so next time, take it up a little.

Treadmill work sucks. I'd rather run 10 miles outside than 2 on the treadmill. But congrats on getting the workout in!

Today for me is 7 miles, no pace goal. gonna take it easy. running with a friend will help me keep the pace at a conversational level.

slow and steady wins the race!

Your self eval says moderate effort and you feel very strong, so next time, take it up a little.

Treadmill work sucks. I'd rather run 10 miles outside than 2 on the treadmill. But congrats on getting the workout in!

Today for me is 7 miles, no pace goal. gonna take it easy. running with a friend will help me keep the pace at a conversational level.
Thanks. The treadmill definitely seems easier physically, just because of the somewhat effortless even pacing I think, but yes it is boring lol. Thankfully I'm able to "turn my brain off" somewhat so it is bearable, since single dad with young kids doesn't translate to going for long runs on the days I have them with me, so... There will be plenty of treadmill runs in my future lol.

yeah any work out is better than no work out!

I used to think that treadmill was easier physically since the ground is literally moving and I'm just raising my leg and dropping it back down. However, I find it very difficult to run both slow and fast on a treadmill - it's like there is a sweet spot for pacing and that's it.

I've recently gotten in to trail running too. Amazing. I plan to do more of it after my March road race is over.

yeah any work out is better than no work out!

I used to think that treadmill was easier physically since the ground is literally moving and I'm just raising my leg and dropping it back down. However, I find it very difficult to run both slow and fast on a treadmill - it's like there is a sweet spot for pacing and that's it.

I've recently gotten in to trail running too. Amazing. I plan to do more of it after my March road race is over.
don't wanna derail anything here but since you are in the Lancaster area, you should check out the Conestoga trail race. It's an awesome, very difficult and picturesque 10 mile race every year in September in the river hills. This year will be my 4th year. They don't seem to have this year's signup and date yet, but here is the link: https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/Holtwood/ConestogaTrailRun

Lacrosse starts this week. A little less gym, and more time running with the kiddos. I'm going to appreciate the rest. Parts of my body feel like they're going to explode. Chest, shoulders and arms mostly. Time to get serious on some mobility movements.

don't wanna derail anything here but since you are in the Lancaster area, you should check out the Conestoga trail race. It's an awesome, very difficult and picturesque 10 mile race every year in September in the river hills. This year will be my 4th year. They don't seem to have this year's signup and date yet, but here is the link: https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/Holtwood/ConestogaTrailRun
awesome, thanks. I recently joined the LRRC so I'm sure I'll hear about it from them at some point too.
I will definitely do this as long as the date doesn't overlap with the 5C doe hunt I do with UBOP around that same time.

4 @ goal MP? today. Still haven't settled on a pace/time goal, likely waiting til June-ish when I'm ~20 weeks out and start training instead of just running , somewhere below 4 hours is possibly the goal at this point, it's my "second" marathon, did one in 2009 very poorly trained and finished but fell apart so not sure if it "counts" lol.
Screenshot_20240226-165406.png

Last edited:
Back