• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Can cleat half hitch at hunting height?

bbarron

Was watching a video recently and saw a guy tie a half hitch on the rope after running it through the cam cleat once at hunting height. I have the EWO one stick. Should I start using a knot after the can cleat?

I use a cam cleat on my stick but separate platform. But I’d tie a half hitch if I were standing on the cam cleat all day.

I wrap the tag end around the stick and tie a half hitch at hunting height. Only takes a few seconds to do and undo and gives me an extra peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

If the cam cleat fails while your climbing line is slacked, a knot won't matter much. It's going to hurt

If the cam cleat fails while there's no slack in your climbing line, a knot won't matter much. It's not going to hurt

I’d be more worried about it failing while climbing up and having slack in the rappel rope. If it fails while hunting, I’m hooked in to my rappel rope so no problem. I don’t see any need in tying a knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back