• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Share a smoking deal

imstihlaguy

I just left my local fabric store (which is closing) but they had a sweet deal and I talked the guy down a bit. Ended up getting 11 yards of rip stop nylon for $8.50 a yard! 110 bucks total with 4 zippers. Can't get cheaper then that.

Maybe a hammock, there was an old thread on here where a guy made a saddle, combined with a rch. Might want to try that. Bags or rain flys. Who knows. Was a good deal and the store will be gone next week

Lol that's hilarious. I've had this username across all sorts of platforms for years. No ones ever noticed. Yeah exactly that haha. But still os stihl as in their chainsaws and weed eaters and other power equipment. Love my stihl chainsaws
I hear you , I am a big STIHL fan also. They make great stuff, well I haven't had to buy anything in the last 6 years so I assume they are still great quality. Keep us posted on what you decide to make.

But still os stihl as in their chainsaws and weed eaters and other power equipment. Love my stihl chainsaws
What do you have? I’ve got a 361, 362CM, and a 251 Woodboss. All great saws. I’d like a 462 at some point and a 260. The 361 and 362 are pro series saws. They are all great saws.

What do you have? I’ve got a 361, 362CM, and a 251 Woodboss. All great saws. I’d like a 462 at some point and a 260. The 361 and 362 are pro series saws. They are all great saws.
Try a 500i first before you buy any new saws, the power to weight ratio is like nothing you can imagine, they absolutely scream, expensive but if you look around deals can be had if your patient on a nice used one, for general firewood cutting the Stihl 400 is also in a class of it’s own, another screamer that weighs nothing, 462’s are great saws but the 400 and 500i really take it to another level, I generally hate new saws but those 2 are legit.

We have a store near us that regularly sells off-cuts at $3/yard. I've bought so much nylon it's ridiculous. I've skinned 3 16 foot kayaks, made half a dozen hammocks, some tarps, some rain pants, and a bunch of other small products all for a couple hundred bucks total. The only problem is nothing is ever labelled so you never know exactly what the material is. I've been doing this long enough to have a decent idea though so we've been very fortunate.

Came for the diy, stayed for the chainsaw talk. My uncle was a lumberjack, growing up all he and my dad ran were Stihl. I didn’t even know there were other brands of saws till I left the house. My pop came to visit me awhile back and I had a Lowes saw in my garage I picked up for like $15 bucks at a yard sale. He saw it and was properly offended. Gave me his best Hank Hill impersonation, damnit boy I thought I raised you right. I left for work, when I came home my Lowe’s was sticking out the top of the garbage bin. I was like dad it was cheap, he’s like good it’s where it belongs then. lol.

Maybe a hammock, there was an old thread on here where a guy made a saddle, combined with a rch. Might want to try that. Bags or rain flys. Who knows. Was a good deal and the store will be gone next week
Just curious, what material do you use for a rain fly.
I don't have any sewing experience or even know what brand my wife has. However, I priced a rain fly and under quilt a while back that may have me trying this. Trying my own is just hilarious if you understood how many irons I have the fire.... but it fun to think about it.

Just curious, what material do you use for a rain fly.
I don't have any sewing experience or even know what brand my wife has. However, I priced a rain fly and under quilt a while back that may have me trying this. Trying my own is just hilarious if you understood how many irons I have the fire.... but it fun to think about it.
Pretty much any silpoly or silnylon will work well as a rain fly. If I remember correctly, the poly has less stretch than nylon but I've never had a big issue with either one. If you're looking for ultralight, cuben fiber (dyneema fabric) is also pretty popular. It's more expensive and harder to sew, though lots of people just buy the tape and don't bother with sewing it. Homemade underquilts aren't that hard either. I modified some small down throw blankets from Costco that we bought for $16 each. Work great down to 15 F or so. Unfortunately Costco no longer sells them. You can buy kits, though, from places like ripstopbytheroll.com and people seem to like the kits a lot. They're a lot easier/faster than sourcing materials and designing your own.

My uncle used to have a Homelite shop back in the day when they were all USA made saws. I just gave my wife’s uncle my last Homelite, a beast of a saw with 88cc of displacement it was their last USA made saw the 8800 which was made in 1996. Too big and heavy for what I do anymore but that thing runs. I like my Stihls but it’s sad there are no more USA saw manufacturers.

I like the older 0 series.
I have a 034, 36, and share a 28 with my brother.
Id love an 088 or 066. But they are getting harder and harder to find

The company I worked for mostly ran Husky’s so the only Stihl saws I’ve had a lot of time on were the 020T and MS200T since those were my personal saws. Of those two big saws, unless you’re just getting it for fun I’d be more inclined to buy the 066 over an 088, much more useable saw IMO. I know it’s sacrilege for a Stihl fan but another big saw of the same vintage I’ve spent some time on is the Husky 3120. If you found a used one for sale I don’t think you’d be disappointed :D

Another one that I’m sure would be quite spendy if you came across one is the Stihl 090. I never used it personally but one of our offices had one and brought it over occasionally for some big cuts. Had an 84” bar IIRC and a stinger handle

My uncle used to have a Homelite shop back in the day when they were all USA made saws. I just gave my wife’s uncle my last Homelite, a beast of a saw with 88cc of displacement it was their last USA made saw the 8800 which was made in 1996. Too big and heavy for what I do anymore but that thing runs. I like my Stihls but it’s sad there are no more USA saw manufacturers.
My dad had one of those old Homelites, ran like a top for years and years.

I’ve been happy with my 545 mk ii… one day I’ll get something with a longer bar for the Alaskan sawmill.

Back