• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Understanding wind and thermals in the mountains

A little creepy side observation...
I said earlier that I'd never heard the term "Bernoulli effect". I typed the word a couple times in this thread. This morning, I turned on Youtube and what do you think was the 2nd recommended video?? Yep, a video on Bernoulli principal.
Are they watching everything we do on our devices? That was too much of a coincidence for my liking.

I said earlier that I'd never heard the term "Bernoulli effect". I typed the word a couple times in this thread. This morning, I turned on Youtube and what do you think was the 2nd recommended video?? Yep, a video on Bernoulli principal.
Are they watching everything we do on our devices? That was too much of a coincidence for my liking.

absolutely they are....i get emails in my gmail all the time based upon a random web search that google picked up and then sold my data to someone or something

it won't stop until a better alternative exists and everyone jumps ship, it will be impossible to regulate without violating intellectual property or even at all because all this stuff can be hidden deep in an algorithm that only someone at the offending tech company will see and understand

heck, i'll put something in a shoppping cart online where i've never been and don't enter my name and email and leave, i'll then get a gmail email from the company telling me to finish my order, but there is no way for them to know my email unless google is connecting the dots for them

it's all sick and scary

don't let anyone virtue signal to you that "well why do you care if you don't have anything to hide?"

I like Snowden's quote "saying you don't need privacy because you have nothing to hide is like saying you don't need freedom of speech because you have nothing to say."

Yes they are. That's why I do not use Google or Microsoft.
I use Duck Duck go web browser.

Yeah it’s getting rediculous. I’ve had a number of experiences lately where I get adds for things that I never even searched for - but related to conversations I had in person in the presence of my phone. It’s gone too far. I’m at a point where I’d consider going back to a laptop at home and a flip phone for text and calls. The only thing I’d really miss is having a mapping app for hunting.

The thing is it sounds like one can become too consumed by the analytics of it all and lose or never grow that gut instinct. There’s definitely some things those guys swear by that I don’t pay attention to but whenever I try a new aspect to hunting (like with this) my first reaction is to load up on as much info as possible so I have a decent reference point when I’m in the woods. I think it can be limiting though to overly rely on that stuff so I think I’m gonna take the vocal majority advice here and just go hunt and gain experience.
I think the real key is learning to do both, understand the details and how to apply them to a given situation but also trusting your gut in that application. The better we understand how the individual specifics(food, air movement, proximity to rut, bedding, water, terrain) affect deer movement at particular times of the season, the more accurate our gut decisions on the location to hang get. Let's say you find a buck you want to hunt, the 10 days to 2 week leading up to peak breeding, as a general statement, are arguably the best time to catch him on his feet. Again as a general statement, his core area is likely to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 acres. Could be more or less but we are just trying to narrow down our decisions. The does are going to be moving from bed to food. The buck is going to be moving from doe group to doe group. If we know where the food and does are we can then look at the maps to try to isolate or pick out any spots that pinch the bucks travel. Let's say we spot 5 potential locations, can we or how do we hunt them? Now we are down to factoring in air movement, access, and weather conditions. This is where gut instinct is going to come in. For a bowhunter, we have reduced 600 acres to five 20-25 yard circles we expect our target buck to walk through in daylight, the gut call is picking the one based on all known information we think gives us the highest odds for any particular day. What we cant account for are things like new hunter pressure, bears or coyotes interupting travel, a doe comes in that he locks down with, etc. It's playing 3d chess with a third party joining in that can just randomly change one or more of the pieces without notice.

Or we can just go sit a food source or a random pinch point, etc. and wait. That works too, sometimes. It's not about right or wrong. At the end of the day it is about what brings you the most enjoyment for your time in the woods. If killing a mature buck or a specific buck isnt a priority, getting into the weeds of the details wont be as important to having enjoyable hunts. If it is though, the details matter. The more of them we can learn and understand, the more we can improve our odds of being in the right place at the right time.

I think the real key is learning to do both, understand the details and how to apply them to a given situation but also trusting your gut in that application. The better we understand how the individual specifics(food, air movement, proximity to rut, bedding, water, terrain) affect deer movement at particular times of the season, the more accurate our gut decisions on the location to hang get. Let's say you find a buck you want to hunt, the 10 days to 2 week leading up to peak breeding, as a general statement, are arguably the best time to catch him on his feet. Again as a general statement, his core area is likely to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 acres. Could be more or less but we are just trying to narrow down our decisions. The does are going to be moving from bed to food. The buck is going to be moving from doe group to doe group. If we know where the food and does are we can then look at the maps to try to isolate or pick out any spots that pinch the bucks travel. Let's say we spot 5 potential locations, can we or how do we hunt them? Now we are down to factoring in air movement, access, and weather conditions. This is where gut instinct is going to come in. For a bowhunter, we have reduced 600 acres to five 20-25 yard circles we expect our target buck to walk through in daylight, the gut call is picking the one based on all known information we think gives us the highest odds for any particular day. What we cant account for are things like new hunter pressure, bears or coyotes interupting travel, a doe comes in that he locks down with, etc. It's playing 3d chess with a third party joining in that can just randomly change one or more of the pieces without notice.

Or we can just go sit a food source or a random pinch point, etc. and wait. That works too, sometimes. It's not about right or wrong. At the end of the day it is about what brings you the most enjoyment for your time in the woods. If killing a mature buck or a specific buck isnt a priority, getting into the weeds of the details wont be as important to having enjoyable hunts. If it is though, the details matter. The more of them we can learn and understand, the more we can improve our odds of being in the right place at the right time.

good call....if I don't have full intel on an area, then I always default to the travel routes that will compress down the most movement between 2 or more areas that just "seem good" to me and bonus points if there is a lot of sign (particularly big, fresh rubs) in the given area

and like you said, it is hugely dependent upon your areas, here in WV, I never get to hunt over or near definite food (like crops) and acorns and browse are everywhere, I have not had good luck hunting food sources and more try to find their "highways", even if I'm not always 100% sure why they are using those highways

good call....if I don't have full intel on an area, then I always default to the travel routes that will compress down the most movement between 2 or more areas that just "seem good" to me and bonus points if there is a lot of sign (particularly big, fresh rubs) in the given area

and like you said, it is hugely dependent upon your areas, here in WV, I never get to hunt over or near definite food (like crops) and acorns and browse are everywhere, I have not had good luck hunting food sources and more try to find their "highways", even if I'm not always 100% sure why they are using those highways
Hung a cam on a spot last year that was a "gut" decision. Even though there was no sign there, it just seemed like deer should move up through this spot. All of the up/down travel that I put the cam there for was doe's and bears. The surprise was the bucks I got on cam there and their travel. It was largely perpendicular to the does during the rut. Going back and looking at the map after pulling the cam, there is terrain there that makes sense for the buck travel, it just isnt anything I would have ever keyed on otherwise. Need to get back in there and spend more time looking at the general area and start putting a plan together for how to hunt it. Problem is the nearest access is 2 miles and the likely smartest access is closer to 3. Not going to be an easy spot to hunt but that's why there are multiple mature deer in there.

My motto~strategy this year is going to be: “Scout more think less.” They’re deer, with a brain a third the size of ours at the most. Respect their senses and survival instincts, love the species, but scout, scout, scout, hunt! Did you notice the extra scout?

Last edited:
Back