• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Next step

Hillbillyfab

SH Member
My 15 year old son has started to get more serious about bow hunting the past few months. He realizes how much time he’s missed out in our whitetail season waiting on muzzle loader season open. He likes shooting trad bows. A local bow hunter’s club gave him this bow when we took bow hunter’s safety a few years ago. I tried searching for more limbs for it, but didn’t have much luck. Any suggestions on what direction to go to stay shooting traditional but able to step up to minimum of 45lbs for hunting?

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1894.jpeg
    IMG_1894.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 33
I've bought several lt. wt. used recurves on E Bay and Marketplace. Some are pretty cheap if not a collectors item.

This deal on Amazon is really hard to beat, I say get one in 35lbs and 30lbs so you BOTH have bows. I would drink the ILF system and then empty your hobbies fund for a custom bow down the road if you/him decide that you like trad bows. But the honest truth is a $1000 custom handcrafted bow is not that much better at killing deer than this CNC bow that is 1 of 50,000 made by a machine within a year. Its all about what you want to spend money on. Same as getting a Savage Axis or a Christensen Arms rifle.

This is from a guy who has 9 bows ranging from $50 to $1100.

You can also pick up a Samick Sage or Black Hunter for around $100. If you search those two bows on here you will see they are mentioned a lot. I'm personally a wood bow fan myself and although ILF setups have some advantages I like the looks and simplicity of takedown or one piece wood bows. Or if your son likes the nostalgia of old bows you can pickup some used older bows like mentioned above. Just look them over well and pay attention to things like twisted limbs.

What is your sons current draw length? Jumping from 25# to 45# is a big jump and something he may struggle with. I regretted jumping my 14 yr old from 30lbs to 40lbs. He struggled with the 40# weight just enough that it made shooting less fun and made him not want to shoot as much.

Back