• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting trad bow poundage?

What bow did you end up ordering?
Well.....I end up ordering ILF limbs from Javaman. After much inquiries to a dozens bowyers, Gregg Coffey was the most responsive and offered me the most confident in his work based on my interaction with him. After many conversation about what I want, he actually recommended ordering limbs instead of a whole bow. That with a 42#, I can dial it back to 37-38# to practice my form and slowly move up once I'm more confident in my skill. That's how he baited me, then he finally hooked me when he said he built limbs in batches, and that he is starting a batch soon and I should get them before May instead of the 12 months wait time for a whole bow.

Then he finally bashed my head once he got me on the boat by offering a free veneer upgrade on some Myrtle Burl he has in stock.

So...Elkheart XL limbs in time for the Baltimore Traditional Classic.

How can I say no to this????
1709560792585.png

When I was recurve only, 45# bow @28 inches, and pulled to 29 inches, so whatever that is...probably right around 47 or 48 pounds. Anymore than that and I'd feel too much of a subconscious urge to dump the string while at full draw, and my shot process required me to hold at full draw for a bit.

Well.....I end up ordering ILF limbs from Javaman. After much inquiries to a dozens bowyers, Gregg Coffey was the most responsive and offered me the most confident in his work based on my interaction with him. After many conversation about what I want, he actually recommended ordering limbs instead of a whole bow. That with a 42#, I can dial it back to 37-38# to practice my form and slowly move up once I'm more confident in my skill. That's how he baited me, then he finally hooked me when he said he built limbs in batches, and that he is starting a batch soon and I should get them before May instead of the 12 months wait time for a whole bow.

Then he finally bashed my head once he got me on the boat by offering a free veneer upgrade on some Myrtle Burl he has in stock.

So...Elkheart XL limbs in time for the Baltimore Traditional Classic.

How can I say no to this????
View attachment 100419
Wow! I never seen anything like that! Gregg's bows are some of the prettiest bows i've seen.

55# recurve and 65# longbow. I usually end up taking 10 yard shots on deer with traditional, so it would probably be better to prioritize accuracy/control over speed. You definitely don’t want to over bow yourself. As mentioned above, even a 30# traditional bow would do the trick, as reflected by MD’s minimum draw weight requirement.

DAS Gen 1 50 lbs. @ 29.25" 30" Gold tip Hunter XT 610 gr. arrow 250gr. VPA double bevel.
But like everyone advises, start with low poundage, and develop correct form.

Back