• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone use John Eberharts scent control methods?

I don't follow his regimen 100% - it's way too much for me, but I have found a level I can live with, and is producing good results. I don't follow any special practices with my vehicle - the dog and wife regularly ride with me during hunting season. I refuse to do any special shaving for hunting season, or change my diet. I handle my sticks and platform with my bare hands.

I do wear ScentLok clothing. I do shower in unscented soap. My boots are never worn in the truck.

There are some things I do that Eberhart does not - I spray my sticks with one of the various scent eliminators (usually whatever is on sale), and I do use a cover scent (usually Code Blue Calming Zone). I transport my backpack and everything inside in a sealed tub with a small ozone generator running. (I do not treat my saddle or any straps or ropes that will support my life)

I have had deer cross my entry path - this happens a lot, since both deer and I like to take the easiest path to travel. I have had a deer spot me in my tree and circle downwind to try and catch my scent without spooking. I have had deer directly below my tree, sniffing my bottom stick. I often have deer hanging out downwind for long periods of time.

I doubt these things would happen while using no scent control practices.

I’ve gone and forth on this a few times. When I started hunting I held every word John said as gospel but I couldn’t afford scent lok at the time so I made due with what I had. Scent free detergent for everything- camo, ropes, saddle, pouches, back pack, underlayers, rubber boots, etc. All immediately stored in an airtight container with scent free dryer sheets and all garments handled with rubber gloves. Scent free showers before every hunt and changed outside my truck in the parking lot. Then I sprayed myself in scent free spray and walked to my tree. I can only speak for myself but trying to learn deer behavior, scouting, how and where to setup (and when) while juggling the scent control thing as a newb to that extent was extremely stressful and unenjoyable.

I continued doing this until I was busted a couple times and then I heard “the other guy” talk about only playing wind and thermals and how you’ll never beat a deers nose. Like many others, the locations I need to trek into to get on deer in my area requires either long or difficult hikes and there was no way I wasn’t breaking a sweat at some point. I abandoned the whole scent control idea and really learned how to use wind and thermals to my advantage and started seeing more and better deer. A lot of this probably had to do with the fact that I was getting better as a hunter but after experiencing good results not paying attention to scent control it’s tough to make the switch back.

I will say that I believe there might be a way to reduce your scent enough that the deer thinks the danger is further away or came through well before them and I’m not opposed to taking up some level of precaution but that leads me to an important question - if a deers best defense against danger is their nose, and assuming I can eliminate 99.6% of my scent which is what I believe he says, why would I want to take that away from them? To me it’s a personal decision and I don’t care what other people do as long as no one is making anyone else “wrong” for their choice. But for me I really enjoy being able to beat them in their turf at their game. The idea of taking away their greatest defense (or attempting to) is conflicting to me. I’m not in this to break records or for glory for me this is a spiritual and primal journey going up against wild animals. Just my two cents no offense to anyone I’m open to being wrong and to hear other people’s experiences.

Edit: just wanted to add John has paved the way for so many of us and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for the guy even if I don’t follow him 100%.

I’ve gone and forth on this a few times. When I started hunting I held every word John said as gospel but I couldn’t afford scent lok at the time so I made due with what I had. Scent free detergent for everything- camo, ropes, saddle, pouches, back pack, underlayers, rubber boots, etc. All immediately stored in an airtight container with scent free dryer sheets and all garments handled with rubber gloves. Scent free showers before every hunt and changed outside my truck in the parking lot. Then I sprayed myself in scent free spray and walked to my tree. I can only speak for myself but trying to learn deer behavior, scouting, how and where to setup (and when) while juggling the scent control thing as a newb to that extent was extremely stressful and unenjoyable.

I continued doing this until I was busted a couple times and then I heard “the other guy” talk about only playing wind and thermals and how you’ll never beat a deers nose. Like many others, the locations I need to trek into to get on deer in my area requires either long or difficult hikes and there was no way I wasn’t breaking a sweat at some point. I abandoned the whole scent control idea and really learned how to use wind and thermals to my advantage and started seeing more and better deer. A lot of this probably had to do with the fact that I was getting better as a hunter but after experiencing good results not paying attention to scent control it’s tough to make the switch back.

I will say that I believe there might be a way to reduce your scent enough that the deer thinks the danger is further away or came through well before them and I’m not opposed to taking up some level of precaution but that leads me to an important question - if a deers best defense against danger is their nose, and assuming I can eliminate 99.6% of my scent which is what I believe he says, why would I want to take that away from them? To me it’s a personal decision and I don’t care what other people do as long as no one is making anyone else “wrong” for their choice. But for me I really enjoy being able to beat them in their turf at their game. The idea of taking away their greatest defense (or attempting to) is conflicting to me. I’m not in this to break records or for glory for me this is a spiritual and primal journey going up against wild animals. Just my two cents no offense to anyone I’m open to being wrong and to hear other people’s experiences.

Edit: just wanted to add John has paved the way for so many of us and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for the guy even if I don’t follow him 100%.

I’ve never understood this argument. We try not to make noise so that we can beat their sense of hearing. We don’t move and wear camo so that we can beat their sense of sight. Why would their sense of smell be different? To me this argument is like saying, “I wave my arms on stand because it’s not fair that I take away a deers sense of sight”.

I’ve never understood this argument. We try not to make noise so that we can beat their sense of hearing. We don’t move and wear camo so that we can beat their sense of sight. Why would their sense of smell be different? To me this argument is like saying, “I wave my arms on stand because it’s not fair that I take away a deers sense of sight”.
I think maybe he’s saying simply utilizing technology to evade a deers senses is not the same as doing so via strategy and hard won experience. John constantly talks smack on other hunters and how easy they have it compared to him. But if his scentlok works as well as he claims it does he is in fact gaining a huge advantage solely through using technology while at the same time criticizing everyone else for “hunting managed lands” ect.

That’s definitely a good counterpoint. I totally understand where you’re coming from I just think it comes down to personal choice. I shared what my own personal feelings were and tried to make it clear that I wasn’t saying anyone else was wrong for feeling the opposite. I don’t even know if I’m going to feel the same way a year from now. For me, and this is for me only, if I can take everything away from them (which I don’t believe I can) it just feels conflicting to me. It’s not wrong or right it’s just something I can’t put my finger on. I guess I enjoy the game and giving them a thing that I’m not going to try to take away. At the end of the day we’re taking a life so the only one we really have to answer to is ourselves and God if that’s your thing. I currently don’t use any form of scent control and try to use wind and thermals to my advantage. If I work my ass off, scout, get my setup, travel predictions and the wind right and a deer gives me a shot then I really feel like I earned it. Obviously camo helps and being still is required to take close encounter shots which is the game for bow hunting. But if the wind begins to swirl or I overlooked the terrain and wind mapped something wrong and I get busted then the deer wins. Which has happened to me several times whether I was using scent control methods or not. I’m still learning and trying to be open to different ideas but as of now this is just how I feel. Again, I may totally change my mind next year. That was a good point you made though and I’ll take that into consideration. I’m only 4 years in so I’m still developing

Last edited:
I think maybe he’s saying simply utilizing technology to evade a deers senses is not the same as doing so via strategy and hard won experience. John constantly talks smack on other hunters and how easy they have it compared to him. But if his scentlok works as well as he claims it does he is in fact gaining a huge advantage solely through using technology while at the same time criticizing everyone else for “hunting managed lands” ect.
Yes. I try to tread carefully as I don’t want to come off the wrong way and that “I choose to work harder”. It’s a personal decision but for me I’d rather lean that way opposed to technology to beat a deers nose. Everyone gets to do what they want though and no one is wrong. Can’t stress that enough.

Hunts with a bow when he could use a gun though. Least I thought I heard that.

Hunts with a bow when he could use a gun though. Least I thought I heard that.
Maybe so. I do know he has a bad tremor in his hands but still manages to bow hunt despite that. I actually think he’s a very knowledgeable and accomplished bow hunter Im just sayin he’s throwing stones in a glass house constantly calling out other hunters. Infalt has a comparable track record of success accomplished without using any scent control so maybe he’s the better hunter… But then again those Michigan deer are practically mythical creatures of legendary intelligence haha.

Last edited:
John.. Dan.. Scentlok… no Scentlok… these guys are all great hunters and like to let people know it.. a lot.. there is something to be learned from each and everyone of them despite how their personality may rub some the wrong way, that’s part of the deal with being so public with what they do.. work ethic, access to certain property, regional differences in quality of game taken… having lots of time.. all those play bigger factors in the end result often times over a certain product they use or promote.

I do think the anti-scent control crowd have the upper hand from a logical standpoint. Because the burden of proof lies on the pro-scent control crowd to prove X or Y works - which they can’t “prove”.

It’s obvious that using certain clothes, bathing in scent-free soap, climbing to 20 or 30+’, etc. probably do help, they can’t hurt, and all have stories of it working or theories as to why. But that’s just what they are: theories and stories.

no one has ever done controlled studies testing the variables and such. So we never really know whether the Scent-Lok is working, or if it’s the bathing, or if it’s the certain hunting height - we just accept they all work together in some way that seems to help.

Even arguments about what we know activated carbon can do are limited because we don’t know exactly how good a deer can smell, nor know what threshold causes them to freak out, etc.

But. Regardless of whichever camp whomever falls into, a good hunter can make the most of whatever opportunity is presented.

Btw. I have a full scent lok suit in my cart with a discount code. $220. Really tempted to pull the trigger.

Maybe so. I do know he has a bad tremor in his hands but still manages to bow hunt despite that. I actually think he’s a very knowledgeable and accomplished bow hunter Im just sayin he’s throwing stones in a glass house constantly calling out other hunters. Infalt has a comparable track record of success accomplished without using any scent control so maybe he’s the better hunter… But then again those Michigan deer are practically mythical creatures of legendary intelligence haha.
I've heard Infalt crap on other's methods too.

I don't know if those clothes work or not.... There is no way to hunt here local without turning into a sweaty mess... period. U will be taking clothes off and wringing out sweat and hanging to dry up in the tree. The warming and cooling of the ocean will make the wind switch directions/swirl everyday. People still kill deer around here despite the heat, wind, dog hunters,recreational users, etc. Rather be lucky than good and hunting public land around here, IMO, it's 95% luck and 5% skill. His methods sure seem like a bunch of extra crap to have to remember to do/OCD....

Has there been any type of thought on if the carbon clothes still work correctly after u cover them in permethrin?

I‘m not a staunch JE apologist or anything. My comment was more geared towards the technology rabbit hole. 300+FPS bows, 100yd crossbows, trail cameras, cell cameras, range finding scopes, 50x power optics, deer recovery drones, pods, etc. etc.

Most don’t seem to think Scentlok works, so arguing the ethics of it as a crutch for killing deer is peculiar to begin with.

And on the presumption it does work, should we not consider a bigger picture too?

(Ok, one thought on JE’s hot take on hard to hunt states. It seems he has no problem getting big deer outside of MI in states where he says big buck hunting is more favorable. I really don’t think the problem is with what he’s saying, but how he says it perhaps).

I‘m not a staunch JE apologist or anything. My comment was more geared towards the technology rabbit hole. 300+FPS bows, 100yd crossbows, trail cameras, cell cameras, range finding scopes, 50x power optics, deer recovery drones, pods, etc. etc.

Most don’t seem to think Scentlok works, so arguing the ethics of it as a crutch for killing deer is peculiar to begin with.

And on the presumption it does work, should we not consider a bigger picture too?

(Ok, one thought on JE’s hot take on hard to hunt states. It seems he has no problem getting big deer outside of MI in states where he says big buck hunting is more favorable. I really don’t think the problem is with what he’s saying, but how he says it perhaps).
All those things you mentioned are crutches people use to make hunting easier and they all create controversy and get argued about. If scentlok actually works then it is no different than cell cams, crossbows ect. If deer can’t smell you than you have eliminated their most vital sense they rely on. That being said I do actually enjoy JE’s videos and pod cast appearances. I recall when he was on the huntr podcast he went after Don Higgens and basically said he was an idiot lol.

Last edited:
All those things you mentioned are crutches people use to make hunting easier and they all create controversy and get argued about. If scentlok actually works then it is no different than cell cams, crossbows ect. If deer can’t smell you than you have eliminated their most vital sense they rely on. That being said I do actually JE’s videos and pod cast appearances. I recall when he was on the huntr podcast he went after Don Higgens and basically said he was an idiot lol.

There are fine lines for sure which is why I wrote what I did. What is a tool and when is it simply not sporting anymore?

Like climbing a tree to avoid a deer’s line of sight/avoid detection. Is that cheating?

If anyone knows of accounts of techniques and styles frontiersmen and Native Americans used to hunt, I'm super curious to learn more on their methods - and in particular, how they dealt with their scent.

I would not be surprised if climbing trees to higher than 20' was common to ambush deer. I think it's generally accepted that at heights over 20-24', you can get away with a lot in terms of movement, sound and scent mitigation.

Do Europeans use ScentLok to hunt roe deer? Random tangential question as well.

There are fine lines for sure which is why I wrote what I did. What is a tool and when is it simply not sporting anymore?

Like climbing a tree to avoid a deer’s line of sight/avoid detection. Is that cheating?
It could be considered cheating some people only hunt from the ground because they think it’s more exciting and more of a “real” hunting experience. You just have to decide for yourself. Being up in a tree definitely makes it easier to draw your bow without being busted.

If anyone knows of accounts of techniques and styles frontiersmen and Native Americans used to hunt, I'm super curious to learn more on their methods - and in particular, how they dealt with their scent.
From stuff I've read the most common practice was to get a big group of ur buddies and run down critters till they are exhausted or set fire to an area and wait at the downwind side from critters running away

Back