• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Genius-Arrow Tuning

I've tried this and also have a DIY spine tester. I buy more expensive arrows (straighter), cut equally from both ends because the middle is the straightest, square the front back and insert after gluing, align the spine so that the arrow wants to bend straight up, and use a high quality pin nock.

I can spin my arrows and my bareshafts don't move and I've never had to nock or insert tune. I think half of nock tuning is just getting the nock lined up with the middle plane of the arrow (aligning the deviations from square until they cancel somewhat) because people don't pay much attention to the back of the arrow for some reason (odd because that's where the power is applied).

Last edited:
Spine aligning arrows is very old news. Like mentioned about I find it better to cut an inch from
The back of the arrow.

Spine aligning arrows is very old news. Like mentioned about I find it better to cut an inch from
The back of the arrow.
It may be very old news but this is a quicker and less cost method of finding the spine of the shaft compared to shooting each shaft through paper, turning the nock 90degrees and then shooting again and possibly again until you get a bullet hole. It’s also much lower cost and potentially provides you more overall utility than a dedicated spine tester tool.

It may be very old news but this is a quicker and less cost method of finding the spine of the shaft compared to shooting each shaft through paper, turning the nock 90degrees and then shooting again and possibly again until you get a bullet hole. It’s also much lower cost and potentially provides you more overall utility than a dedicated spine tester tool.
There is a quicker way than that. Make 2 small dimples in your bow press if you have one. Put a tip in the nock end. Just press the press enough to flex the arrow and it will show you the spine in a second.

There is a quicker way than that. Make 2 small dimples in your bow press if you have one. Put a tip in the nock end. Just press the press enough to flex the arrow and it will show you the spine in a second.
Great idea but I wouldn’t want to drill into my press. It’s my OCD!!

It’s basically. Just take a metal punch and ding it one time. You can spine a dozen arrows in a matter of minutes.

Spine is not new. To answer his question on how to explain the added weight; the shaft shortened when the weight stack is added and stiffened it up. Mic Drop!

Last edited:
Back