• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any one used this to tune arrows?

I've owned bar clamps for years, I'm going to test some arrows that I already have marked directionally for best flight.
Please let us know how it goes. I put a pipe clamp kit in my cart and I'm waiting to hear from one of yall on whether this is legit or not. Certainly seems it would save a lot of time if it turned out to be true.

Also... he says he's wanting the arrows to flex downward because that's the way a compound naturally pushed arrows. Would it be the same for a traditional riser? Or would we want it to flex away from the riser? Or toward it?

Also... he says he's wanting the arrows to flex downward because that's the way a compound naturally pushed arrows. Would it be the same for a traditional riser? Or would we want it to flex away from the riser? Or toward it?
I was wondering the same thing it should be to the riser with cock feather out. Some guys were talking about it in the comments for long bows.

I was wondering the same thing it should be to the riser with cock feather out. Some guys were talking about it in the comments for long bows.
Seems based on this picture that an arrow naturally flexes TOWARD the riser upon release. In my pea brain, it makes sense that we'd want to combat as much of that flex as possible to start the arrow on a straight path sooner. If this is correct, wouldn’t we want the arrow to flex AWAY from the riser at first movement?
Screenshot_20230511-142849_Samsung Internet.jpg

Seems based on this picture that an arrow naturally flexes TOWARD the riser upon release. In my pea brain, it makes sense that we'd want to combat as much of that flex as possible to start the arrow on a straight path sooner. If this is correct, wouldn’t we want the arrow to flex AWAY from the riser at first movement?
View attachment 97504

I always thought with a stick bow, the arrow should flex away from the rest/ riser.

For right handed fingers shooter you want the stiff end toward the riser and just the opposite for a left handed fingers shooter.

String oscillation will begin to the left for a right handed fingers shooter forcing the arrow into the riser. Everything wants to come to the center of the pressure point. By placing the stiff end of the arrow toward the riser you are helping to minimize the amount of flex caused by the string oscillating to the left taking the nock to the left as it rolls off of your fingers during the shot sequence. Of course this assumes you’re using the correct spine arrows to begin with.

View attachment 97504

I have used this method for my last two sets of arrows. I put field points in both ends, turn it till it flexes downward and mark the top of the shaft with a paint pen. I’m all about this method. However… there are times where I rotate it and it will keep flexing different with each turn of the arrow. I think it may be because there is some slop in the device. The tolerances are not tight and it wobbles on the cranking end. I wonder if one of those ratcheting clamps would be better. Eventually I get it to flex consistently by playing with different length field points and trying with and without inserts. I don’t remember what worked best but there is a golden ticket!

I picked up a used spine tester on this forum last summer and it works good to get my carbon arrows spined close. There is a knack to it though I admit that.

I have used this method for my last two sets of arrows. I put field points in both ends, turn it till it flexes downward and mark the top of the shaft with a paint pen. I’m all about this method. However… there are times where I rotate it and it will keep flexing different with each turn of the arrow. I think it may be because there is some slop in the device. The tolerances are not tight and it wobbles on the cranking end. I wonder if one of those ratcheting clamps would be better. Eventually I get it to flex consistently by playing with different length field points and trying with and without inserts. I don’t remember what worked best but there is a golden ticket!
Did you drill holes for the arrow tips to lock in?

Back