• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What did you do today that’s related to saddle hunting?

I was running a couple errands with my wife this morning and we ended up at an antique mall place she loves. While going from booth to booth, she pointed out a bunch of knitting needles for sale. I borrowed a #6 and #7 from her while doing a DIY Amsteel daisy chain set of 4 early in January. ....and took this as a not so subtle hint. They were a whole $2.25 per pair, so I found a set of short #7's in a "manly" bronze color and bought them for my man cave.

I was running a couple errands with my wife this morning and we ended up at an antique mall place she loves. While going from booth to booth, she pointed out a bunch of knitting needles for sale. I borrowed a #6 and #7 from her while doing a DIY Amsteel daisy chain set of 4 early in January. ....and took this as a not so subtle hint. They were a whole $2.25 per pair, so I found a set of short #7's in a "manly" bronze color and bought them for my man cave.

I haven't used knitting needles. I've been using a fid for paracord. Works good for 1/8th amsteel that I've made gear hangers from but probably wouldn't work for anything bigger.

I did order some knitting needles but was confused on the sizing system and ended up getting something about the diameter of an uncooked spaghetti needle.

What I'd really like to get is a good loop turner. I don't have any fine flexible wire good enough to use.

BT

I haven't used knitting needles. I've been using a fid for paracord. Works good for 1/8th amsteel that I've made gear hangers from but probably wouldn't work for anything bigger.

I did order some knitting needles but was confused on the sizing system and ended up getting something about the diameter of an uncooked spaghetti needle.

What I'd really like to get is a good loop turner. I don't have any fine flexible wire good enough to use.

BT
Both my wife and MIL (who lives with us) knit, so I had some expert advice regarding needle sizing when starting my DIY daisy chain project. I used 1/8" Amsteel and the primary video I consulted as my learning guide used a knitting needle as a fid. I almost felt the need to tell the lady at the counter that I wasn't taking up knitting.....LOL.....but just remained silent to speculation. After completing my four daisy chains, I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with Amsteel DIY.....but now I must.

I spent even more money on new gear and successfully diverted my wifes attention away from the fedex and UPS tracking emails....now all i gotta do is figure out how to get that stuff delivered without her seeing it.
Hasnt that stuff been on backorder since early last year and is just now showing up??? :cool:

I spent even more money on new gear and successfully diverted my wifes attention away from the fedex and UPS tracking emails....now all i gotta do is figure out how to get that stuff delivered without her seeing it.

When I ordered my LCA bow press, I went into my UPS account and chose to have it held for pickup at the local hub.

Cost me an extra day waiting on it, but was worth it.

BT

No Pack Seat Tonight! Just Laid in the Corn Rows on a Blue Tarp. Saw 12 but no shots. We Will be Offering These Blue Tarps For Ground Hunting @ $39.99 TYD. They are Quiet, Light Wt, and Blue Camo. Get in on the lightest Solution for Ground Hunting Ever! Get Your Order in Early Before the SH Group Finds These! Pay Pal...

Attachments

• Resized_20240223_173509_388.jpeg
    Resized_20240223_173509_388.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 27
A used Predator platform and 1/8" elastic shock cord arrived today from a couple purchases earlier this week. The shock cord is the finishing touch on a set of four DIY Amsteel daisy chains I crafted last month for my new 20" Beast Gear sticks. The Predator is an addition to my plan of having some private land preset sticks in place and leaving the platform up for easy access morning hunts with the saddle. Mid-week, I removed the Ropeman 1 from my saddle tether and replaced it with a Longhorn Agile hitch that performed well in initial testing. As soon as the winter cold is over, some spring woods time is in order to test these improvements out in more depth.

Spent some time stealth stripping my one stick, then stealthstripped my new TL sticks, installed cable aiders, trucker daisies, and an ultimaider for my bottom TL stick. Ordered some more Strata dip film to do the steps on the sticks, and my EDP when it gets here.

1000003066.jpg

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240318_145347_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_145347_Gallery.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 14
I hate buckle straps.

Yesterday I decided to test out my trophyline sticks and EDP platform. I had already installed the amsteel trucker daisies on the sticks, but still waiting on my HFAS for the platform. I hate buckle straps.

All in all a good experience, but I now realize how the last 4 months of being somewhat sedentary has got me back out of shape.

The sticks worked well, along with the daisies. Took me a bit to get used to the standoffs rotating. Not sure yet how I feel about the cable aiders. I have a wide foot, and got some pinch into the sides of my foot when climbing.

The platform seems pretty good. I hate buckle straps. I can't wait till I get the HFAS. I was able to get it attached with the strap, stepped on the top and toe hooked it. Seems to hold up well. I didn't get crazy with it because of how I had it set up. Didn't try to turn around on it just yet. Not sure if it will be big enough.

Did I mention I hate buckle straps?

BT

Back