• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What did you do today that’s related to saddle hunting?

Forgot I also ordered 50’ of 1/8” amsteel…..it never ends

Researching “parts and pieces” online and running a spreadsheet to find the cheapest and safest way to build a full DIY kit for new hunters to get into the saddle. I’ve been bugged since last summer by a question an eager teenager asked me “How much does it cost to start saddle hunting?” and I didn’t have a good answer because I knew I was spending way more for bells and whistles than was absolutely necessary. Some people do puzzles in the winter, this is mine!

This is always a fun type thread. I know I’m always doing something related to the outdoors and this saddle thing has completely consumed me. I learned to tie some knots last night
View attachment 60963View attachment 60964
Oh yeah, his new self tending ascender hitch is the bomb! That thing works sooo smooth for me. Canyon c-iv and sterling 6mm trc. No more tender!

Slept in my EWO tent setup last night/tonight...we got a good cold snap....use some SH technology to make my underquilt...take regular rectangle sleeping bag and make a paracord bridge...like making a fleece saddle on both ends of the bag...hook ur sleeping bag saddle to the biners attaching the hammock to the tree straps....no way I'm paying 100-200 bucks for a "specialized" hammock cocoon.....Screenshot_20220129-115212~2.png

Slept in my EWO tent setup last night/tonight...we got a good cold snap....use some SH technology to make my underquilt...take regular rectangle sleeping bag and make a paracord bridge...like making a fleece saddle on both ends of the bag...hook ur sleeping bag saddle to the biners attaching the hammock to the tree straps....no way I'm paying 100-200 bucks for a "specialized" hammock cocoon.....View attachment 60972
I was Just thinking you must be going Beast mode! But I guess that figures now don’t it….that’s freaking cool right there!

Working on a new ROS from a 4" and/ or 6" foam roller. Good results so far! Light and quiet!
What the heck is that? Pretty neat looking but what is it’s former intended use? Don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.

What the heck is that? Pretty neat looking but what is it’s former intended use? Don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.
Physical therapy. Or massage mussels. Recommend a big one for your back if you have some issues. For me it was better than the chiropractor and inversion table.
They are kinda expensive. Did you aquire them for a good price @Samcirrus ?? I would think some PVC wrapped with something might work as well. Got me interested.

Physical therapy. Or massage mussels. Recommend a big one for your back if you have some issues. For me it was better than the chiropractor and inversion table.
They are kinda expensive. Did you aquire them for a good price @Samcirrus ?? I would think some PVC wrapped with something might work as well. Got me interested.
29.99(4") 34.99(6") at target. But 2.99 at Savers across the street! They are way lighter than pvc, can hold 300 lbs. And I put them out in -5°F for awhile then stood on them.... still strong. Plus I dont plan on hunting below 0° more than once or twice at the end of season. I'm thinking to have 4(cut in half) around the tree with my platform. They make almost no sound when setting up on the tree and aren't too big. Ive only curved out 1 of them so they sit flat/solid on the tree...Am with my daughter atm, but will do more work later.

Ordered a retractable bow rope because I can never remember to pull mine up.

Used pruning shears for the first time yesterday, need to modify a place for them on my dump pouch.

Back