• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Off-Season Getting/Staying In Shape Motivation Thread

Started tapering for my race. But did a fartlek tonight for the first time. (3min hard, 3 min easy, and continue through 2/2, 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 2/2, 1/1)

excited for the race but the weather keeps going downhill. current prediction is 10-20mph winds, .75" of rain which is scheduled to end shortly after the race and about 45 degrees. yuck

Yesterday was what I call my box circut. Used 18" box. Each side of the box is a movement station. Yesterday was pullups, push ups, KB swings 70#, and DB rows 75#. 10 reps at each station and 10 weighted box step ups per station 2x25 dbs for 5 rounds. It's a completely taxing workout and maybe my favorite.

Just a walk yesterday. I don't see distance but I'm guessing 3 miles, maybe a little less. Then I pigged out like I can't remember when I ate that much. Oops lol.

Reached out to some trainers, have an appointment tomorrow afternoon with one. I am going to run a mile and maybe try to sneak a yoga class in after that tonight

1.02 miles in 9:52 today. Kinda did HIIT. Mixed in some sprints with walk/jog. Lungs are the current barrier. Still gassing lol. Booked that yoga @6. It's breath work and I'm sure I'll dislike it but it's keeping me from a real good looking mistake :sweatsmile: :tearsofjoy: I love a terrible idea. Why am I going to yoga??!

What's the tip on lungs? Hiit? Slow n steady? Just keep on keeping on?

Slow n steady? Just keep on keeping on?
both. no need to rush your training. just keep running and it will naturally improve. sometimes do slow runs, sometimes do faster runs. sometimes do both in the same run. I've read that zone 2 running is good for building endurance, I haven't tried much of it.

Let myself be lazy yesterday. Real lazy.

Put up 9:27 on only .95 miles, not sure where I lost distance. Steady pace today. Kinda bummed I didn't get the full mile to get an accurate time. Oh well, I didn't skip it when I wanted to.

Met with a second trainer today. I'm super excited for the second guy I just met. Pumped. I'm gonna get my rear end kicked lol. The first place was pretty focused on weights, the second place is much more big picture. Just really excited for this place.

Keep it up everyone. I'm on vacation with my kids/sister and family at my parents so running time has been traded for general active swimming/tennis/pickleball/walks/beach time, but I did manage to get away and bang out a 10k yesterday. Running a 5k with my dad tomorrow, should be fun but slow. Looking forward to making up for lost time when I get back, can't remember if I've posted this before but I'm at the point where not running regularly feels weird, so I guess thats good. One day at a time.

Nice work @thedutchtouch !!

Did my Half Marathon today. Weather was ****. windy, cold and raining the entire time. However, I beat my previous (and only) record for a half marathon by 10 minutes! Super happy since it has only been 6~ months between them.

Official time was 1:42:08

Thanks for the encouragement. Now to figure out what's next.

1.07 in 9:58. Mile/lap 1 was 9'21" ? I highly doubt that's right, 30+ seconds for that other little bit? No way. Running is better first thing rather than after work lol.

First formal workout tomorrow

@GreginPA thats a heck of a time/ PR drop, particularly with the bad weather. Keep it up @Horn , I bet you could do 2-3 miles no problem if you slowed yourself down some. We ran our 5k sunday AM, i was surprised with the old man(68) , he and a friend ran together and i stuck with them the whole way, so that likely awakened the old competitive spirit a bit for them... we finished in 28:45 after they said they were aiming to break 30 minutes. perfect weather, i felt great, but it wasn't really a race at all for me, it was a great memory with my dad. My kids had a great time watching us with my mom as well so a good morning was had by all. Been keeping active with hikes and pickleball and swimming etc, but tomorrow's our last full day down here so we're taking the kids to the beach to finish off my sunburn with a final crisp, and then I head home with the kids on Wednesday. Looking forward to getting back to the normal routine somewhat, hoping to kick it back off on the treadmill weds evening if we don't get back too late.

Back