• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Off-Season Getting/Staying In Shape Motivation Thread

@GreginPA thats a heck of a time/ PR drop, particularly with the bad weather. Keep it up @Horn , I bet you could do 2-3 miles no problem if you slowed yourself down some. We ran our 5k sunday AM, i was surprised with the old man(68) , he and a friend ran together and i stuck with them the whole way, so that likely awakened the old competitive spirit a bit for them... we finished in 28:45 after they said they were aiming to break 30 minutes. perfect weather, i felt great, but it wasn't really a race at all for me, it was a great memory with my dad. My kids had a great time watching us with my mom as well so a good morning was had by all. Been keeping active with hikes and pickleball and swimming etc, but tomorrow's our last full day down here so we're taking the kids to the beach to finish off my sunburn with a final crisp, and then I head home with the kids on Wednesday. Looking forward to getting back to the normal routine somewhat, hoping to kick it back off on the treadmill weds evening if we don't get back too late.
thanks ! It's my lungs man, my lungs! They are not cooperative.... yet :tearsofjoy:

Edit: TDT, honest question. Why slow down? 9.5 isn't killing it by any stretch as far as I know

Last edited:
Had to do an ACFT (army combat fitness test) makeup today:
340- DL (max score)
12.9m standing power throw 10lb ball (max)
60 hand release push-ups (max score)
Sprint,drag, carry 1:25 (max for my age is 1:33)
Plank 04:00 (max for age is 03:25)
2 mile run 15:30 (93% score for my age)

593 out of possible 600, Not my best but not my worst.

Last edited:
@GreginPA thats a heck of a time/ PR drop, particularly with the bad weather. Keep it up @Horn , I bet you could do 2-3 miles no problem if you slowed yourself down some. We ran our 5k sunday AM, i was surprised with the old man(68) , he and a friend ran together and i stuck with them the whole way, so that likely awakened the old competitive spirit a bit for them... we finished in 28:45 after they said they were aiming to break 30 minutes. perfect weather, i felt great, but it wasn't really a race at all for me, it was a great memory with my dad. My kids had a great time watching us with my mom as well so a good morning was had by all. Been keeping active with hikes and pickleball and swimming etc, but tomorrow's our last full day down here so we're taking the kids to the beach to finish off my sunburn with a final crisp, and then I head home with the kids on Wednesday. Looking forward to getting back to the normal routine somewhat, hoping to kick it back off on the treadmill weds evening if we don't get back too late.
Thanks. also forgot to mention I got first in my age group (45-49). :sunglasses:
That's awesome that you are making memories with the family while being active
thanks ! It's my lungs man, my lungs! They are not cooperative.... yet :tearsofjoy:
The crazy part is - when you feel like you are going to die, don't stop. You actually don't die. (I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice and you may have medical problems you aren't aware of).

A lot of your distance limitations can be mental (it was for me). I remember the feeling of "there is no way I can do 2 miles straight". Just increase slowly, and you don't have to increase the distance on EVERY run. Also, you don't have to go crazy on the increase - just go to the next telephone pole or mailbox.

Edit: TDT, honest question. Why slow down? 9.5 isn't killing it by any stretch as far as I know
In my opinion it's likely your heart rate/lactate threshhold- if you slow down, you can keep your heart rate below your lactate threshold, which allows you to do more work/longer, rather than having the out of breath feelings. Meaning like running 2 11 minute miles burns more calories/gets your cardiovascular system adjusted to "handling" more exercise than running 1 9 minute mile. It's somewhat counter I tuotive (and I still struggle to do it sometimes). Check out this article from runnersworld- iny opinion the 80/20 rule is for people training for a race, for the getting back in shape crowd (myself included) it can be 100/0 https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a776622/how-slowing-down-can-help-you-speed-up/

In my opinion it's likely your heart rate/lactate threshhold- if you slow down, you can keep your heart rate below your lactate threshold, which allows you to do more work/longer, rather than having the out of breath feelings. Meaning like running 2 11 minute miles burns more calories/gets your cardiovascular system adjusted to "handling" more exercise than running 1 9 minute mile. It's somewhat counter I tuotive (and I still struggle to do it sometimes). Check out this article from runnersworld- iny opinion the 80/20 rule is for people training for a race, for the getting back in shape crowd (myself included) it can be 100/0 https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a776622/how-slowing-down-can-help-you-speed-up/
I will check that out later, thanks!

Well. I got my butt kicked at work today. 33 zone minutes there.

Then I went to my new trainer today. Great guy(s)! Boy did I get that butt whopping I asked for!!! :tearsofjoy: :sweatsmile: 99 zone now. Pretty sure I'll be walking funny tomorrow lol. You get out what you put in, right :smile:

Ok. I'm going to stretch, shower and go die now. If I survive I'm looking forward to next week!

I made a big double batch of brownies last night. We are having a bake sale at work today. I did stand at a podium from 8:45 til 4 yesterday though. I called that saddle training. Amazing how much you can feel standing that long when you dont do it all the time. Has me re-thinking my workout for this evening cause I have another all dayer Thursday.

any recs on exercises to strength knees and general stability?
I like to think of myself as a fairly in-shape dude - lift regularly, can bench bodyweight/deadlift x2/squat bodyweight. run once a week. but i did 6 miles walking yesterday and felt a tinge sore in my knees afterwards. I'm approaching 30 so the body is in decline... but any thoughts on addressing that are appreciated.

any recs on exercises to strength knees and general stability?
I like to think of myself as a fairly in-shape dude - lift regularly, can bench bodyweight/deadlift x2/squat bodyweight. run once a week. but i did 6 miles walking yesterday and felt a tinge sore in my knees afterwards. I'm approaching 30 so the body is in decline... but any thoughts on addressing that are appreciated.

Anything knees over toes guys putting out, sled pulls are probably the best thing for knees. Also, If your not 30 yet body shouldn’t be declining at all so I’d look into why that is ultimately lol

I chose beer and hockey yesterday. Ton of fun but not smart. Would do over lol. But my quads are still torched :sweatsmile: this is especially funny because my trainer commented " let's see how this feels on your quads after those 16k steps today" lol, good dude. Probably just stretch today

So yesterday I thought I would see about this running non-sense some of yall seem to love. Just couldnt make myself run the whole time though. did 30 minutes running on the treadmill at 6mph and hopped off every 5 minutes for 20 pushups. Think it ended up being somewhere between 2.25 and 2.5 for distance with 100 pushups.

Treadmill stinks - weather is improving, get outdoors!

Did 4 Miles yesterday
3 this morning and then another 3+ this evening but on trails. Still feeling sore from my race

Found a bunch of smaller road/"trail" races near me through bishop events seem to have 5k/10k/half marathon races locally pretty regularly so I'm thinking about signing up for some 5/10k races here and there and an end of May/ beginning of June half to give myself a bit of a benchmark as that'll be roughly when I switch from "just running" to starting a training plan for fall marathon. May also start experimenting with throwing in some doubles and trying to do 4 miles before work/at lunch and another 4-6 at night, having trouble already finding time blocks for longer runs other than waiting til late at night on the treadmill, and my mileage will hopefully only be increasing.

But for all those plans to work I need to run. Got lazy/couldn't find the motivation last night after getting in late (delayed flight). Everything is finally settling down for today so it's time for some 'mill miles to get back after it. Let's go.

Edit: did 5 miles easy (10 min pace) felt great, avg hr in low 130s. Progress.

Last edited:
I’m 53 and 260 lbs and noticeably not in good shape. My family recently joined a local gym and I’m going at least 2x per week. Focusing mostly on losing around 40 lbs and getting my endurance up. I’m not trying to become a body builder, I just want to be able to walk through the woods here in East TN without getting so winded. Good luck to everyone on their journey.

Treadmill stinks - weather is improving, get outdoors!

Did 4 Miles yesterday
3 this morning and then another 3+ this evening but on trails. Still feeling sore from my race
Wife loves to run, has for years. We had to go to the gym though cause she's nursing achilles tendonitis. :rolleyes:

Wife loves to run, has for years. We had to go to the gym though cause she's nursing achilles tendonitis. :rolleyes:

Yeahh my wife when we met was a ametuer bikini competitor but shortly after we met she broke her foot and a botched surgery gave her permanent nerve damage in said foot, can still walk but running and a lot of workouts are out of the question for her as it irritates it badly, luckily she’s got the eating down pact and even after 7 kids and 34 still fine as heck and only 100#.

Back