• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HFAS, USA Pro, etc - issues?

Black Titan

Hey guys,

I recently got the HFAS to use with my EDP, but having some issues getting it locked solidly to the tree. @mattpsu1 mentioned having similar issues in another thread, so I figured I would throw up a dedicated thread to try and get some feedback or advice on using this platform attachment method.

When I first hung it, I set it at chest height, wrapped around left side of the tree, came back, put the prusik look on the button, and tightened straight back like the instructions suggest. I then cammed the platform down, and it was not very secure. I retightened the prussik and I pulled some more, still no good. I then put weight on the top of the post, uncammed the platform while pushing down on the post, and recammed the platform. Simulating a toe hook the best I could. This tightened it up considerably, but when I pushed on the side, it easily tipped over.

1000003093.jpg

1000003094.jpg

So thinking I didn't get enough pressure when I "toe hooked", I moved it down low enough to where I could step on it and put my weight on it. I tightened, cammed, then toe hooked with my actual weight, and then recammed. Felt secure while standing, but when I stepped off and then put my foot on the side, with just a small push I was able to kick it out.

This doesn't lead to confidence in this attachment method. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I thought about trying to use the HFAS like a daisy chain, and using the truckers hitch. Leaving the prussik on the right side of the tree after wrapping from the left, going under the button then down through the prussik, tightening, and hitching behind the button. I don't think it's designed to be used this way though, and not sure if that would be safe.

BT

Get yourself another prussic and use it as a truckers hitch. Been using one like Screenshot_20240325_121604_Gallery.jpgthis for 3 seasons and have never had an issue getting it tight

I wasnt super impressed when i got mine for my predator platform...you have to really loosen that hitch before you put it on the tree which does help tightening it. toe hooking it is also mandatory. Once set and im on it, its solid and handles side pressure but if you happen to hook it from the bottom with your toe or something and lift up,its coming off.

Get yourself another prussic and use it as a truckers hitch. Been using one like View attachment 101162this for 3 seasons and have never had an issue getting it tight

Would you care to detail how this setup works? I've got some amsteel I can likely make a prusik loop with but can't really tell what's going on there from your picture.

BT

Does anyone tighten the USA/HFAS with the platform post rotated some? Then rotate back to vertical before camming?

Would you care to detail how this setup works? I've got some amsteel I can likely make a prusik loop with but can't really tell what's going on there from your picture.

BT
It's just like @Dope on a Rope post. I don't have any better pics of one in action but I use a 4 to 2 swabisch on the first one and leave the line ran through it so all you have to do is put that part of amsteel around the post and pull it tight and cinch down the hfas

I also have one of these from Custom Amsteel Products. I received it first. I didn't like the "pop it under the button" step. When I would do this, the platform would come up.

Now, I'm wondering, if I could take the prusik and tender off the HFAS, run it onto the truckers hitch from Custom Amsteel, and have the best of both worlds. I may try this tomorrow.

I'm also going to try double wrapping the tree like in the one video you posted above with the HFAS before I try taking the prusik off.

BT

When I am hanging my Fix with a USAPro, I keep the amsteel level around the tree, Fix partially opened and tighten it that way as tight as I can get it. When I finish opening the platform it’s rock solid. It’s so tight, that if I attempted to hang it without the platform partially opened I would be unable to open the platform.

When I am hanging my Fix with a USAPro, I keep the amsteel level around the tree, Fix partially opened and tighten it that way as tight as I can get it. When I finish opening the platform it’s rock solid. It’s so tight, that if I attempted to hang it without the platform partially opened I would be unable to open the platform.
Same. I’m convinced those who have tried and don’t like Amsteel attachments are not keeping it level around the tree. And I think on soft bark trees the narrower Amsteel profile sinks in more readily than a cam strap so if it’s loose you’ll know right away and not after standing in it for an hour.

I used the tree attachment system from JRB Tree Climbing channel on mine last year. It worked very well

I do the same when I use the timber hitch with amsteel on my EDP. I hold the platform (folded) up against the tree with the amsteel horizontal while I pull the slack out. Then when it's cammed over it is set really tight. Since the amsteel doesn't stretch, if it's set tight to start it will stay tight for the entire hunt.

I think I may have found the answer.

This is the Custom Amsteel Products truckers daisy stand attachment, and the HFAS Schwabisch and tender on the slack end. I wrap the CAP daisy around the tree and thread through the daisy loop like normal, and instead of popping the slack end under the button, I utilize the HFAS loop and go around the button, and tighten the Schwabisch.

1000003137.jpg

Out of the three methods I've tried so far, combining these two has gotten me the tightest connection to the tree.

In the meantime, I also ordered the RDA Truckers Elite, which I think works the same way as what I just made. It may prove more handy though, as the only issue I ran into so far with my Frankenstein daisy is when tightening the slack, the Schwabisch tightened all the way to the daisy loop, as it's a fixed loop. The RDA should allow me multiple loops to choose from.

BT

Got the RDA Truckers Elite yesterday. Finally got a chance to hook it up today and test it out.

This thing is rock solid. Out of the 4 or 5 methods I've tried so far, this is the most secure, with the custom amsteel products daisy/hang free prussik and tender combo a close second.

I hung it up, stepped up on it, and it did pull away from the tree a bit. After toe hooking, it locked up like it was welded to a steel post. I put side pressure on it the best I could without being saddled in, then got down and gave it a shove with my foot directly from the side, and it did not detach from the tree. I'm really impressed with this attachment method.

1000003173.jpg1000003174.jpg

BT

Winner, Winner, Deer Dinner!

I think I have my final iteration on this platform attachment method.

The RDA was a success. But, due to my weight, I wanted a bigger rope than 1/8th. Yeah I know, 1/8 is plenty, but it's a mental thing. Being the size I am, I feel better on thicker ropes. So I decided to move up to 3/16th amsteel. I first messaged RDA, and he doesn't make a daisy in 3/16th, so I ended up going back to HangFree. I ordered a standard 3/16th amsteel daisy chain.

When it arrived, I took the HFAS attachment off my CAP hitch that I made before, and moved it over to the Hangfree 3/16th daisy.

I like the RDA hitch a little better than the prusik I'm tying with the HFAS attachment, but it will do I suppose.

Using the 3/16th daisy with the truckers hitch, and HFAS, it's perfection. Rock solid no movement off the tree. The RDA was perfect as well, and im sure good enough for most of you, and probably good enough for me too, but like I said, it's a mental thing. I prefer the bigger rope for my comfort.

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240413_124345_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240413_124345_Gallery.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 12
There's so many different ones I lose track of which is which. I don't know what this amalgamation I've created is closest to.

BT
I believe it’s called a Rube Goldberg

Edit: hope the humor came through sans emojis, I like the inventiveness, it does seem like too much going on for me. But we’re all doing things our own way, which is the best part of this place. Thanks for sharing the experiments.

Last edited:
I believe it’s called a Rube Goldberg

Edit: hope the humor came through sans emojis, I like the inventiveness, it does seem like too much going on for me. But we’re all doing things our own way, which is the best part of this place. Thanks for sharing the experiments.

Lol nah your good.

I didn't intend for it to be complicated, I just wanted to find the best option for me and what made me comfortable. I guess in the end it's just the RDA Truckers Elite with thicker rope. Looks more complicated than it is.

I had to look up that USA Pro thing. I have an extra amsteel HFAS prusik and a piece of full bury 3/8 I could probably make one of those too and try it out. Might do it.

BT

Back