• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Custom Gear Modifications Cobra Saddle

Funny, I just did a similar change after a few years of saddle hunting. I bought the CGM 2TC kit a few weeks ago and actually just ordered the Cobra today after talking to Jerry for a bit on the phone a bit about 2TC. I'm excited to try both out and plan to use a rappel line for my top tether.
Jerry’s awesome and always to offer some advise. I also use the rappel rope as my tether for the 2TC and just rappel down, works great. Although I am toying with using just a tether and doing the whole reverse 2TC to get down for those times I’m scouting my way in and really want a minimalist way to climb and hunt.

Jerry’s awesome and always to offer some advise. I also use the rappel rope as my tether for the 2TC and just rappel down, works great. Although I am toying with using just a tether and doing the whole reverse 2TC to get down for those times I’m scouting my way in and really want a minimalist way to climb and hunt.

Jerry is an awesome dude.

I also just ordered the 2TC kit, and plan to use my rapel rope as my top tether. One thing I will be changing, is climbing with my madrock. Every time I loosen my tether to move it up, the weight of that madrock pulls it down the tree and I end up fighting it. I believe I'll climb with a Schwabisch or another hitch, then switch to the madrock once at height.

BT

Jerry is an awesome dude.

I also just ordered the 2TC kit, and plan to use my rapel rope as my top tether. One thing I will be changing, is climbing with my madrock. Every time I loosen my tether to move it up, the weight of that madrock pulls it down the tree and I end up fighting it. I believe I'll climb with a Schwabisch or another hitch, then switch to the madrock once at height.

BT

Is the Madrock sliding down your rope, or is it the weight of it pulling your tether down the tree? If I’m reading it correctly, then the second is what I think you’re describing. I’ve found that to be an issue. However, when using the thigh loop in conjunction with the safeguard I put the friction hitch above the Madrock and it seems to help mitigate that problem. Once I have the tether set at the height I want it at I slide up the friction hitch for the thigh loop until it is holding the tether in place. Especially once I weight it with my leg, it’s not going anywhere.

Is the Madrock sliding down your rope, or is it the weight of it pulling your tether down the tree? If I’m reading it correctly, then the second is what I think you’re describing. I’ve found that to be an issue. However, when using the thigh loop in conjunction with the safeguard I put the friction hitch above the Madrock and it seems to help mitigate that problem. Once I have the tether set at the height I want it at I slide up the friction hitch for the thigh loop until it is holding the tether in place. Especially once I weight it with my leg, it’s not going anywhere.

Yeah its the second. I haven't received my 2TC kit yet, but that happens on any of the ways I've tried climbing with the madrock, so assumed it would happen with 2TC as well.

I'll try that once I get the 2TC kit in. I'm still unclear on how it all works but I'm interested in it, and even if I don't use it primarily, it's another tool in the climbing arsenal I've started to collect lol. One stick, 4 sticks, 2TC, platform, climber, etc.

BT

Yeah its the second. I haven't received my 2TC kit yet, but that happens on any of the ways I've tried climbing with the madrock, so assumed it would happen with 2TC as well.

I'll try that once I get the 2TC kit in. I'm still unclear on how it all works but I'm interested in it, and even if I don't use it primarily, it's another tool in the climbing arsenal I've started to collect lol. One stick, 4 sticks, 2TC, platform, climber, etc.

BT
That happened to me while one sticking as well. And I was using my rappel rope to pull up my backpack, so the weight of the rope was pulling it down too. The slipping was reduced by using an OHM tether locker, but it's still extra weight/movement while pulling up the tether. I was thinking about using a friction hitch too on the top tether/rappel rope on way up.

Last edited:
I just got the cobra saddle, it is my first saddle never saddle hunted before . I tried it on the tree it feels comfortable need to figure out what way I am going up the tree. wouldn't going the 2TC way be on the noisy side? Being that I am new to this but is definitely peeking my interest.

I just got the cobra saddle, it is my first saddle never saddle hunted before . I tried it on the tree it feels comfortable need to figure out what way I am going up the tree. wouldn't going the 2TC way be on the noisy side? Being that I am new to this but is definitely peeking my interest.
Honestly it can be very quiet. Now if you’re trying to climb a shag bark hickory not so much. Go slow is the key, methodical moves. One of the great things about the 2TC method is there is almost no metal involved to clank against any other metal, unlike 1-stick climbing.

Practice now til hunting season and you will have it down by go time.

In addition I would add, if you’ve already familiar with a climbing method, such as sticks, I would start with that just to get used to hunting from a saddle. Once you’ve got that all till it’s second nature then look into either 1-stick or 2TC. All climbing methods have a learning curve, same as with simply being in a saddle and getting it all adjusted right. Good luck and don’t hesitate to ask questions.

I was thinking about ordering the 2TC system at CGM. Now, do you guys put something around the tether that goes around the tree? like a protective tube or something? I would think the tree would be a little abrasive and rope or webbing wouldn’t last as long.

I was thinking about ordering the 2TC system at CGM. Now, do you guys put something around the tether that goes around the tree? like a protective tube or something? I would think the tree would be a little abrasive and rope or webbing wouldn’t last as long.
I don’t but I know some do. Honestly the wear is not that bad. No worse than a regular tether.

Back