• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Custom Gear Modifications Cobra Saddle

MKERN1285

Has anyone had experience with the Custom Gear Modifications Cobra saddle? It looks like a Cruzr XC but with more adjustability and can pack down better. Here a like to the saddle

Has anyone had experience with the Custom Gear Modifications Cobra saddle? It looks like a Cruzr XC but with more adjustability and can pack down better. Here a like to the saddle
It’s a great saddle. Comfy, lots of unique features and a great price point. Best thing is you can reach out to @always89y if you need any pointers, have concerns or if you maybe want some modifications done to it.

It rocks. Used it every tree hunt this fall. Endless adjustablity. Price is good. Get the rope belt. Few minor complaints. The removable leg strap attachment to the saddle can come loose easily and cause confusion in the AM. I tied mine in so it won't fall out. You could take it off all together.
The adjustable bridge can be hard to adjusted after loaded. But I believe that is true for most adjustable bridges. If your bridge is short and you lean to one side to far, your carbiner will pop over the hitch at some point. So never run a short bridge and lean hard one way.
That's all I got to complain about.

Agreed, switched to one (from an OG latitude method) this season, wonderful. My only minor gripe is sometimes I have a hard time getting the g hook to go through the webbing loop for the one on my back that keeps it in the "closed"/folded up position when walking out... But that's easily fixed by popping off the leg loop g hooks and giving it a spin. It's more of a dexterity issue being my back with a pack on than a saddle issue I think. Even with that minor thing, 100% recommend this saddle.

Agreed, switched to one (from an OG latitude method) this season, wonderful. My only minor gripe is sometimes I have a hard time getting the g hook to go through the webbing loop for the one on my back that keeps it in the "closed"/folded up position when walking out... But that's easily fixed by popping off the leg loop g hooks and giving it a spin. It's more of a dexterity issue being my back with a pack on than a saddle issue I think. Even with that minor thing, 100% recommend this saddle.
I'm interested in seeing pictures of the differences between the prime features and one without....Anyone got any pics?

Bumping this back up.

I think it's time to move on from my OG Method. I'm torn between the Cobra and the Sidewinder. The price point on the Sidewinder is tempting me but I'd like to hear more about the Cobra. Any further insights, pics, etc?

I did the same move mid season from OG method to cobra, couldn't be happier.

I do have some struggles getting the ghook that keeps it folded up re-hooked behind my back, but that's more of a minor thing (I use the leg straps, if I didn't it would be simple to spin it, as is I either struggle behind my back or unhook/hook the leg straps as well). 100% recommend, it's much more comfortable in the tree and equal on walk in/out than the method for me. I do a combo of sitting/standing and have put multiple 12+ hr days in with either setup.

Bumping this back up.

I think it's time to move on from my OG Method. I'm torn between the Cobra and the Sidewinder. The price point on the Sidewinder is tempting me but I'd like to hear more about the Cobra. Any further insights, pics, etc?

Madhunt does a great review on it. I don’t think you’ll find many people that don’t like everything about the cobra. It can be used as a single panel if you’d like, just don’t spread the pleat open. It stays closed very well unlike other pleated saddles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Sidewinder for two years. Great saddle, arguably the most comfortable I’ve ever used.

I'm interested in seeing pictures of the differences between the prime features and one without....Anyone got any pics?
1st one is fully loaded with Orion Camo and Prime molle (with custom pouches...not included)
Black one is just with Prime Molle
3rd is pain ol vanilla. No sprinkles or nithin.
34b1bec99cbe30dd4a6700305ef2bfdd.jpg
34564b192e15688eb3cdd647054ff00c.jpg
717e1110d2cae5da3555ce3c6fcc6afc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I switched to the Cobra last year and let me tell you, I love it. Having all of the adjustments lets me set it so I have no hip pinch or hot spots. The transport mode is the bees knees for walking in and out. LOVE, LOVE, My Cobra. My daughter is running one as well.

As a 2nd yr saddle hunter, I upgraded from my hawk helium to a cobra Cannot wait to try it out. Does anyone have experience with the 2TC system from custom gear?
Funny, I just did a similar change after a few years of saddle hunting. I bought the CGM 2TC kit a few weeks ago and actually just ordered the Cobra today after talking to Jerry for a bit on the phone a bit about 2TC. I'm excited to try both out and plan to use a rappel line for my top tether.

As a 2nd yr saddle hunter, I upgraded from my hawk helium to a cobra Cannot wait to try it out. Does anyone have experience with the 2TC system from custom gear?
I started playing around with the 2TC system late last year and am working on dialing it in now. I’m really liking it. The moves are about the most straight forward of any of the tree climbing techniques, there’s no metal stick to fall down on if something were to go wrong, and it’s so compact and lightweight to carry. Give it a go, I think you’ll like it. Just have to give it a fair shake, not one outing.

Back