• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My first PA hunt ever.. and it was a pretty good one!

Topdog

SH Member
I tagged out early last season in the Adirondacks, because my season ended quick I decided to try a new state, I picked PA based on all my research and close proximity to NY, the forecast looked good for some snow the first week of rifle so I booked a hotel and decided to go, solo. My plan was to miss opening day completely, I hate crowds, do some scouting from my truck on Sunday, start hunting Monday, and basically wait for snow, I track for those that don’t know already. Having never been to PA hunting before I wasn’t sure how bad the crowds would be, everything I had heard was correct and it was completely nuts on public land, people everywhere, I have never seen anything like that in my life and I won’t lie… I contemplated going home the next day… as I was unloading my truck just before dark, in the evening, on opening day, while checking into my room, the hardwood ridge across from the hotel was ringing with gun fire. Sunday I spent almost the whole day in my truck checking a few places I had marked on ONX, learning the roads, taking it all in, Sunday night I finally found a piece of woods that looked good, less people, more remote, and more my style, my plan was to hunt it Monday. Monday I spent the whole day still hunting, scouting, poking around, and I saw 11 deer if my memory is correct, all does, lots of good, big buck sign. Snow was coming and I found the right piece of woods for how I hunt, so I was set for Tuesday or so I thought. Tuesday morning I woke up to bare ground and my entire plan was shot, I had to start over.. look for snow, so back in the truck I go driving like a mad man to find good tracking snow and big public land. Sometime late morning I finally found what I was looking for, good tracking snow, so I started looking for a track.. I checked many, nothing looked special, when I look for a big buck track there’s quite a few things I look for, this PA country wasn’t producing that so finally I decided to park the truck and head in somewhere, travel on foot and see what I could find. I made a couple mile loop if I remember correct, same old thing nothing special, I tracked one buck for a bit, I jumped him quick and never got a look at him, it wasn’t this bucks first rodeo I could tell and I had let my guard down, he won.. Wednesday I was up early and on a mission, I knew where the good tracking snow was already and I headed there immediately, my plan was to not settle for anything less than a big, classic, mature buck track. Once again this PA mountain country was not producing anything that interested me, all the tracks looked the same, nothing special, I found quite a few decent buck tracks but nothing that got me excited. After checking several roads I ran into a couple locals doing the same thing, looking at tracks, I asked them a few questions, told them my deal, I hunt and track on snow, and haven’t found any big ones, they assured me they were here and off they went. As luck would have it I ran into those gents a little while later on another road, they stopped me and said… hey you wana see a big PA buck track, walk down that trail right there about a 100 yards, a monster buck crossed there sometime last night… was their best guess… I said are your serious… absolutely you can’t miss it, so off I went to check this track, after thanking them for the help. I couldn’t help but wonder if those guys were laughing on their way out of there.. about some guy from NY complaining about not finding any big buck tracks lol, I know if I was in their shoes I would have been lol, some of out towner chasing a buck all day on snow getting soaking wet and tore up by berry briars, super nice guys and I still appreciate the help if by chance they ever read this, I wish I had gotten their phone number because the excitement in that guys voice about the size of the track he had found and shared with me.. I know he would have liked the picture I would have sent him that night.. So off I go, yup it was a nice track, a hair bigger than anything I had found yet, I won’t lie it still wasn’t impressive, but here I was with fresh snow, a good track, just after daylight, it was time to send it.. A couple hours later down the track, a mile or so in, I can’t completely remember it’s been a few months.. the buck started feeding, zig zagging around through an old clear cut, I knew I was getting close, so I started creeping along, one step at a time, crawling through those briar patches, my head was on a swivel, I got burned the day before on that other buck, today I was more tuned up and ready. He made a small rub, nibbled on some browse, stopped a couple times, he was close.. and I knew it, so I was in full stealth mode at that point. If you have never tracked a buck on snow, the next 15-30 minutes is what generally separates those that kill deer versus educate them, it’s not easy, and difficult to explain, it takes many blown opportunities to learn from to get there, where your confident enough to finish the job. So I’m basically at this point taking baby steps down this buck track waiting at any moment for the brush to explode in from of me and hopefully catch a glimpse of him, I’m 100% ready, finally after about 10 minutes that’s exactly what happened except it was a partridge and it just about gave me a heart attack, I reached for my GoPro, as I film all my hunts, but false alarm. So I waited probably 15 minutes or so, I let the woods die down again before moving, I was sure that buck heard that bird, I don’t look at my watch, but know when enough time has passed, the woods went quiet again, so back I go down that track, one step at a time, my head was on a swivel, slowly pulling briars off my retro 1990’s blaze orange fleece jacket. I would guess maybe 100 yards or so, from where I jumped that partridge, once again the brush exploded except this time it was that buck coming out of his bed, he was close, I would have to guess under 30 yards, super thick with briars and small saplings, anyways I sent one his way and immediately I knew I mite have made a bad shot, with the small brush/briars and hard quartering away angle I had about one second to get on him, it’s never easy when your tracking, Sure enough I had him hit, the bullet hit back and traveled up through the middle of the deer and broke his shoulder blade, and a small chunk of lead exited his shoulder, so the chase was back on, he wasn’t bleeding much but with snow I knew it was a matter of time and something would happen. I spent the rest of the day working that deer up and through those clear cuts and hardwood ridges, hoping a tree stand hunter or anyone really wouldn’t get a shot at him before me, I knew he was dead if I had enough time to catch him, finally just before dark and in a more normal piece of open hardwoods I caught up with him and the hunt was over. The buck that made the track those 2 locals had showed me was dead, my first time ever hunting PA, solo, with almost no help, I was pretty happy. I crossed several seasonal roads while chasing that deer, I checked my ONX after he was down and I believe it was 4 miles total from my truck, I never seen another hunter while in the woods all day, the walk back was not fun, had I not been alone I easily could have been picked up closer by a friend in a truck, as it was I had to walk all the way back out, tired, wet, through those briars, pitch black, I was beat when I got to my rig. I dressed that deer out and covered him up with my contractor bag I always carry, along with a pair of my Kuiu base layers, to keep the coyotes at bay, I knew the next day I could get closer with my truck and it would be easier in daylight to finish getting him out, so that’s exactly what I did at first light. One coyote had circled my deer that night but never got within a 100 yards or so, I’ve done this many times over the years while hunting solo and never had a problem yet. I had a great time, and will probably be back someday, assuming the conditions are right and depending on how my season at home goes. He green scored at 131 3/8 gross, scored as an 8, nice long tines, one completely broken off brow and the other one was super short, he had a nice big frame and would have scored a lot better had those brow tines matched the rest of the rack, it was a great hunt with a super nice buck and I have no complaints, the locals were nice and the country was just like I had imagined, I will be back! Jon
A2B529E3-2D83-4B0B-9153-ED0006C16BB9.jpeg
@woodsdog2 @Plebe @bigmike23 @Bigterp

Awesome! I find tracking so interesting and exciting. I hope to try it some day. These are the kind of stories that make me want to do it more.
Congratulations!
Do it! It was a long learning curve, and the ironic thing is once I got older and could no longer walk as many miles a day versus 20 years ago…when I pounded through the woods… I started killing stuff instead of just chasing things, if I could get all those years back what I would give, some of the mistakes I made and bucks that got away still keep me up at night. All my best stand/saddle spots, for when there’s no snow, I found while tracking!

@Topdog sweet buck Brother! Great story and thank you for taking the time to share. This indeed instills confidence. I did something similar a couple of years ago when I mistakenly arrowed a spiker during early archery here in NY. Just getting out of state for the first time and exploring new public land is both intimidating and exhilarating! I didn’t score but had some unique opportunities and scouted new land. Most of the reward was the experience. Next time you better give me a call when you need help!! So when are you sharing the story of the buck you got in early season NY this past season?

Too many out of staters hunting PA now…Lol, I’m from NY btw. Congrats again @Topdog.

I have been chasing deer in the PA hills since before I could carry a rifle and have a good feel for the specific area I hunt. Like @Topdog said, there was a bit of a crowd this year, certainly more hunters than in the recent past, in the section I hunt anyway. Lots of new faces and guys from further NE. Used to be I knew the groups hunting the area pretty well, but some of them have moved on or passed on and those folks were largely vacant this season. Yet, I’d still venture that it was the most hunters I’ve seen since before the antler restrictions and doe reductions.

Still I saw just one hunter while on stand, who was fantastic btw. He saw me from a reasonable distance and politely worked around me. I don’t usually have a lot of foot traffic where I set up, but it seems like in the past when I have it’s some dude who’ll show up at 11am and take position like 30yds from me and refuse to move along. So this was a refreshing interaction. My brother took a buck this year on the opener, so we met a bunch of the new to us hunters on the way out or by the road at dusk. Everyone was super nice. I don’t mind a crowd like that. But we all know it’s not often the case.

So I’ll share one story about the other side of things, cause it still makes me laugh and can’t possibly intrude on the original post which ended much more eventfully.

My brother and I had scouted an area that is pretty hard to get to. We thought surely we’d have the woods to ourself. But around noon, if memory serves me, my brother spies two hunters coming his way. As they approach with a direct path to his tree, he starts grunting and wheezing and whistling. They looked right at him but just kept coming. He said they literally stopped and had lunch within yards of him and then pushed off. He was confounded and ticked off, but didn’t want to start an argument with any hunter who would have such disregard for another hunter. Plus guns at hand and 2-on-1 and he’s in a tree. Not worth it, but come on people.…

So, finally those fellows are gone and my brother starts to settle down and don’t you know he hears crunch-crunching and starts getting excited. As the noise gets closer, it’s not exactly registering with him though. He’s certain it isn’t those buffoons coming back, but it seems a bit off. Then he sees it, black bear heading right to where the luncheon happened not long ago. Not finding any discarded scraps or fallen crumbs, Mr. Bear must have got a wiff of a granola bar my brother had packed cause he decides he’s gonna join him in the tree. With a barrel in his face and a loud whistle, that bear scurried back down that tree and out of sight faster than Usain Bolt after an double espresso.

Lol, even a bear is more courteous than some folks we share the woods with. Sad, but true.

@Topdog sweet buck Brother! Great story and thank you for taking the time to share. This indeed instills confidence. I did something similar a couple of years ago when I mistakenly arrowed a spiker during early archery here in NY. Just getting out of state for the first time and exploring new public land is both intimidating and exhilarating! I didn’t score but had some unique opportunities and scouted new land. Most of the reward was the experience. Next time you better give me a call when you need help!! So when are you sharing the story of the buck you got in early season NY this past season?
I’ll remember that, I wasn’t to far from you actually!!! My NY buck happened to fast this year, literally the first day of my remote tent camp trip, an average Adk 8 but it was a lot of fun still, just happened to soon, and a buck I had been after for several years that I assumed was dead showed up a couple days later, I’m still not impressed about that LOL, I’ll write something about it soon.

Too many out of staters hunting PA now…Lol, I’m from NY btw. Congrats again @Topdog.

I have been chasing deer in the PA hills since before I could carry a rifle and have a good feel for the specific area I hunt. Like @Topdog said, there was a bit of a crowd this year, certainly more hunters than in the recent past, in the section I hunt anyway. Lots of new faces and guys from further NE. Used to be I knew the groups hunting the area pretty well, but some of them have moved on or passed on and those folks were largely vacant this season. Yet, I’d still venture that it was the most hunters I’ve seen since before the antler restrictions and doe reductions.

Still I saw just one hunter while on stand, who was fantastic btw. He saw me from a reasonable distance and politely worked around me. I don’t usually have a lot of foot traffic where I set up, but it seems like in the past when I have it’s some dude who’ll show up at 11am and take position like 30yds from me and refuse to move along. So this was a refreshing interaction. My brother took a buck this year on the opener, so we met a bunch of the new to us hunters on the way out or by the road at dusk. Everyone was super nice. I don’t mind a crowd like that. But we all know it’s not often the case.

So I’ll share one story about the other side of things, cause it still makes me laugh and can’t possibly intrude on the original post which ended much more eventfully.

My brother and I had scouted an area that is pretty hard to get to. We thought surely we’d have the woods to ourself. But around noon, if memory serves me, my brother spies two hunters coming his way. As they approach with a direct path to his tree, he starts grunting and wheezing and whistling. They looked right at him but just kept coming. He said they literally stopped and had lunch within yards of him and then pushed off. He was confounded and ticked off, but didn’t want to start an argument with any hunter who would have such disregard for another hunter. Plus guns at hand and 2-on-1 and he’s in a tree. Not worth it, but come on people.…

So, finally those fellows are gone and my brother starts to settle down and don’t you know he hears crunch-crunching and starts getting excited. As the noise gets closer, it’s not exactly registering with him though. He’s certain it isn’t those buffoons coming back, but it seems a bit off. Then he sees it, black bear heading right to where the luncheon happened not long ago. Not finding any discarded scraps or fallen crumbs, Mr. Bear must have got a wiff of a granola bar my brother had packed cause he decides he’s gonna join him in the tree. With a barrel in his face and a loud whistle, that bear scurried back down that tree and out of sight faster than Usain Bolt after an double espresso.

Lol, even a bear is more courteous than some folks we share the woods with. Sad, but true.
I found only one tree stand on my entire trip, no cameras, and only ran into one or two other hunters deep the first day I got out in the woods and did some scouting/hunting on bare ground, near the roads, parking lots and stuff it was nuts, you PA guys can keep Mountain Laurel, if that stuff grew in the Adirondacks I would move to Montana or someplace!! Your brother has more trigger discipline than anyone I have ever met, I can’t imagine what was running through his mind when those nails hit the bark and that bear started to climb!

I found only one tree stand on my entire trip, no cameras, and only ran into one or two other hunters deep the first day I got out in the woods and did some scouting/hunting on bare ground, near the roads, parking lots and stuff it was nuts, you PA guys can keep Mountain Laurel, if that stuff grew in the Adirondacks I would move to Montana or someplace!! Your brother has more trigger discipline than anyone I have ever met, I can’t imagine what was running through his mind when those nails hit the bark and that bear started to climb!

I had one standing against my tree in VA during bow season. Was already climbing down when it came in and had a 32” LW stick in hand. Smacked it against the next stick below and the bear scurried. I personally am very weary of bears but in this instance I never felt threatened. The bear’s posture was pretty laid back. I had misted some doe estrous nearby and must have gotten some trace about on me or something. Just glad my bow didn’t get stepped on.

Great write up and good looking deer, congrats!! Curious if you or other trackers ever pay much if attention to spots along a track where you feel you could kill the buck on a "conventional" hunt.
Thanks I appreciate it! Definitely, I’ve found all my best stand/saddle spots, and camera locations by tracking on snow, while hunting and after season scouting. I can’t stress enough to anyone who doesn’t have the luxury of snow for hunting/scouting how much a person can learn while following deer on snow about their patterns, individual preferences and so on, the Youtube video buck was a short track job and only tells about 1% of the hunt for that deer which was an entire season and then some, so it doesn’t paint the whole picture like I wish it did, but it is what it is. I started tracking deer on snow at the age of 16, I’m almost 46 now, I grew up reading books about the Benoits from VT and always heard the stories from a few local legends, in my opinion the main difference from how I hunt compared to those trackers I’ve mentioned above and many others before me, I don’t wait for snow and instead do exactly as you said, document everything I find with ONX from previous seasons and use that to my advantage in conjunction with trail camera intel, fresh intel, to move in and go after a specific buck, assuming I have one worthy picked out, last year I didn’t.. so I relied on a spot I had found while tracking through there many times in the years past, and fresh camera intel, to kill an average buck for that area, from my saddle in a rut funnel during an all day sit, this was in NY. I could talk all day about tracking stories and encounters, but here’s a quick one you will like as it pertains to your question. Many years ago I located a big buck on snow, he would cross a seasonal road in roughly the same spot + or - a couple hundred yards, once or twice a week, so I went after him, solo, 2 times, and I struck out both times, I followed that buck many miles, up and down mountains, paying attention to everything he was doing, this buck was educated by other hunters I could tell, the second time I tracked him it was a dark to dark hunt, I remember it well I could barely walk the next day. So the buck won and back home I go, I needed a couple days off. I called a couple good friends of mine and told them I located a good one and assuming we still had snow we should go after him, I needed help too, he was smart. I booked a hotel room, packed my bags and off we went, the first day nothing, the buck never moved where I could find his track, the way he walked and the size of it (track) he was easy for me to remember, on the second day we split up to cover more ground and find him, one on foot, myself and another friend in a truck, sometime in the morning my buddy that was driving spotted a track I missed, I took one look at it and new it was him. So I called my other friend on foot in the woods and said we found him, get out here and lets go after him. He likes to take the track himself so that’s what we did and split up, my other friend who wasn’t on the track went another direction to try and cut him off, the buck… I had a spot I picked out and saved on ONX where both times, while I was tracking this deer he crossed through a little saddle on a ridge just off a little bench, after he knew I was on him, his escape route, it was a couple miles from where we had his track that day and my friend would be starting it, but I knew it was the place to be once the action got going so off I went, to that little saddle. I pretty much jogged the whole way to get there in time and beat that deer, the snow was deep and I remember being spanked when I got there. I picked a spot on a little hump to stand and wait over looking that saddle giving me a 30 yard shot if he tried the same thing as before. About 45 minutes to an hour later I could see something coming, all I could see was rack as he got closer, the beech brush was so thick I remember watching him thrash his head gear around coming through it headed my way, I let him get broadside, about 25-30 yards and down he went the first shot, he never knew what hit him, the snow was so deep his head was almost buried when he hit the deck, it was a great buck, right around 140”, the third time was the charm for that buck, he had no idea I was waiting there and that escape route I found on my 2 previous hunts for him had paid off that day. About an hour later my friend who was on the track showed up, that buck was paying attention to him, the guy following him, like he had so many times before and got away with it, he had no idea I was waiting for him. In the years after I have hunted that same area, used cameras…. nada.. nothing.. that was his core area and his alone, sucks too because I really liked that spot, sure I get buck pictures, but nothing like him.

Back