• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beast stand or LWCG? Opinions please!

I vote beast stand. I only tried the .5 from LWCG and all of this was done pre-2022. But the beast stand is exactly what I was looking for. If it existed ten years ago, I’d never have ended up here. I value platform length over width. I don’t want anything outside the profile of me walking through the woods. I dropped almost a half pound replacing the cable system with amsteel. It never makes noise that people here complain about, maybe I’m lucky. The only time I use the last 6” of the platform is when I’m sitting. When I stand, I stand closer to the tree. So I never experience any flex that other people notice.

In a nutshell, I threw an exo shoulder harness on it, amsteel suspension cables, a small pouch under the seat, vet wrapped the edges of the platform and anywhere metal touches metal, and use amsteel daisy chains to attach to tree. It’s perfect.

And it’s for sale in my garage sale in the classifieds.

Reason why - I just use the JX3 or hunt on the ground way too often to justify a 600,00 stand sitting in my closet for 1 or 2 hunts a year. If I didn’t have the hybrid I’d be out of the saddle game and would use the beast stand exclusively.

Maybe something has changed in the last couple years with the other stands. But this thing is perfect.

I vote beast stand. I only tried the .5 from LWCG and all of this was done pre-2022. But the beast stand is exactly what I was looking for. If it existed ten years ago, I’d never have ended up here. I value platform length over width. I don’t want anything outside the profile of me walking through the woods. I dropped almost a half pound replacing the cable system with amsteel. It never makes noise that people here complain about, maybe I’m lucky. The only time I use the last 6” of the platform is when I’m sitting. When I stand, I stand closer to the tree. So I never experience any flex that other people notice.

In a nutshell, I threw an exo shoulder harness on it, amsteel suspension cables, a small pouch under the seat, vet wrapped the edges of the platform and anywhere metal touches metal, and use amsteel daisy chains to attach to tree. It’s perfect.

And it’s for sale in my garage sale in the classifieds.

Reason why - I just use the JX3 or hunt on the ground way too often to justify a 600,00 stand sitting in my closet for 1 or 2 hunts a year. If I didn’t have the hybrid I’d be out of the saddle game and would use the beast stand exclusively.

Maybe something has changed in the last couple years with the other stands. But this thing is perfect.
I looked at your stand...but you don't have a payment plan lol so I passed.

I had considered it several times but then I talk myself out of it when I see how much it would cost me to ever get another one…I guess I am a hoarder.
Understandable. I am a hoarder about some things but often have slippery fingers when I see some new and shiny hunting thing and will sell something to justify buying the shiny thing. Then I’ll usually get sellers remorse and many times buy the thing I sold again. And again… and sometimes (embarrassingly) multiples times over. Fortunately I’ve gotten out of the habit of doing that majority of the time but the struggle is still real.

I had considered it several times but then I talk myself out of it when I see how much it would cost me to ever get another one…I guess I am a hoarder.

Frankly, I’m glad I got rid of mine. I found them so uncomfortable.

But I respect your take. I don’t think selling something solid to venture into possible yucky mucky makes a lot of sense.

The .5 is just as uncomfortable as those stands, imo, but lighter and more portable and pairs far better with a saddle. Then there are those far more comfortable stands. I just don’t like the middle ground, I suppose.

Frankly, I’m glad I got rid of mine. I found them so uncomfortable.

But I respect your take. I don’t think selling something solid to venture into possible yucky mucky makes a lot of sense.

The .5 is just as uncomfortable as those stands, imo, but lighter and more portable and pairs far better with a saddle. Then there are those far more comfortable stands. I just don’t like the middle ground, I suppose.
Sounds like you’re just not a big fan of hang ons in general? Or the comfort (or lack there of) of them?

Sounds like you’re just not a big fan of hang ons in general? Or the comfort (or lack there of) of them?

Since we’re just asking questions, would you rather sit in a LW Assault or a Millennium?

Since we’re just asking questions, would you rather sit in a LW Assault or a Millennium?
Honestly not sure. I’ve never sat in a millenium before. I never had a problem with the assault when I owned one. Other than trying to get comfortable with hang ons in general at the time.

Honestly not sure. I’ve never sat in a millenium before. I never had a problem with the assault when I owned one. Other than trying to get comfortable with hang ons in general at the time.

Then I’m not sure how you can question my fanship of hang-ons.

My take is simply this. A modern hang-on is just a platform and seat. (The original treestand didn’t have a seat actually)

The importance of the platform is it supports consistent archery form during elevated hunting by permitting unimpeded standing shots.

The importance of the seat is it offers relief from fatigue incurred by otherwise standing.

I can get about enough space and tree clearance for consistent archery form on an XL saddle hunting platform like the RRXL or Ambush. So why even bother with a heavier, bulkier hang-on at all? Because standing all day is fatiguing.

If I’m not going to be fatigued, a hang-on offers no significant advantage over a large platform. However, if fatigue is in play, I want to nip that in the bud. An original Lonewolf style seat doesn’t do that for me. (Seems for you that’s not an issue.) However a mesh seat gives me the comfort to hunt longer and more attentively.

The most comfortable of those is the full sling seat found on the bigger Millenniums. But those stands are heavy and bulky to transport, though they are great for short distances or presets.

I’m nearly as comfortable sitting in my saddle kneeing into the seat of a .5. (Not sure at your height that will work though.) The size and weight of the stand make it easy to transport and it’s my go to for covering ground.

Basically, I like hang-ons just fine, when they serve their purpose.

Back