• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Learning from Saddle Hunting Accidents

Brian in TN

Greetings Saddle Hunters. I'm a new member but not a saddle hunter yet. I'm 61 years old and in decent shape. I love my Summit Viper but am getting tired of hauling it and all my gear into the woods. I don't see this getting any easier as I age. I want to try saddle hunting while I am young enough to get good at it and thereby extend my mobile hunting years.

Safety is VERY important to me. I know saddle hunting is inherently safe because you are always attached to the tree. However, I am sure accidents happen. I see a thread on this site where someone was killed while manipulating a ladder stand and many users commented with similar stories. I haven't found any information related to saddle hunting accidents. I'm wonder what goes wrong when someone gets hurt saddle hunting? I'm thinking of eventually one sticking and rappelling down. I would especially appreciate hearing of safety incidents when rappelling. Thank you in advance!

The injuries I've seen/heard of involve knees/ankles twisting from "kick outs", cuts/scrapes/bruises from mishaps with climbing sticks, fingers smooshed underneath of ropes, etc......the 2 real falls i can think of were user error and or equipment being used incorrectly. As long as u take ur time, use common sense, 3 points of contact, and always be tied off to the tree with the appropriate equipment it is difficult to hurt urself

Thank you, @Weldabeast. I'm okay with risking bumps and bruises. The falls are what concern me. If you know specifically what the user did wrong or how equipment was misused, that would be helpful to know so I don't make the same mistakes. Thanks again.

Honestly I don't know what the stuff they were using is/was. I like to keep things real simple and dont use any sort of device so I don't pay attention to all the different gizmos and gizmo configurations ....Maybe @Fl Canopy Stalker will remember why that guy fell? The other times I remember reading about mishaps it was maybe a hitch not grabbing and no stopper knot and the hitch was outta spec for the mainline or something like that

The injuries I've seen/heard of involve knees/ankles twisting from "kick outs", cuts/scrapes/bruises from mishaps with climbing sticks, fingers smooshed underneath of ropes, etc......the 2 real falls i can think of were user error and or equipment being used incorrectly. As long as u take ur time, use common sense, 3 points of contact, and always be tied off to the tree with the appropriate equipment it is difficult to hurt urself
Have to agree

Question 4 ya @Brian in TN..... when u use ur summit are u tethered/harnessed in from the ground advancing the tether with every move of the climber base?

Also....if u use a climber before we gonna have to assume u hunt limbless trees pretty regular correct?

Really the risks in saddle hunting are pretty much the same as with climbing sticks to hunt on a strap-on platform. Most of the injuries I’ve heard of are as alread described with the occasional injury from the step on a stick breaking. It does seem that they are rare for sure though.

One of the greatest things you can do is learn to climb safely. A lineman’s rope is not a good safety device. If you climb with a tether, move it up with each step up the tree to cut down on the slack and therefore lessen how much of a drop you would have if you did slip. Tether advance devices (fancy term for something attached to the tether so you don’t have to use your hands directly on the tether to move it up) help a lot.

Practice anything new only a couple of feet off of the ground at first. Take your time, don’t try to fly up the tree or do it in as few moves as possible.

What part of TN are you in. I’m in Rhea county and wouldn’t mind at all to meet up sometime to give some pointers.

Really the risks in saddle hunting are pretty much the same as with climbing sticks to hunt on a strap-on platform. Most of the injuries I’ve heard of are as alread described with the occasional injury from the step on a stick breaking. It does seem that they are rare for sure though.

One of the greatest things you can do is learn to climb safely. A lineman’s rope is not a good safety device. If you climb with a tether, move it up with each step up the tree to cut down on the slack and therefore lessen how much of a drop you would have if you did slip. Tether advance devices (fancy term for something attached to the tether so you don’t have to use your hands directly on the tether to move it up) help a lot.

Practice anything new only a couple of feet off of the ground at first. Take your time, don’t try to fly up the tree or do it in as few moves as possible.

What part of TN are you in. I’m in Rhea county and wouldn’t mind at all to meet up sometime to give some pointers.
I respectfully disagree with a couple of your points. A “lineman’s rope” is a safety positioning lanyard. If it’s used correctly and also kept under tension you will not fall straight to the ground. The problem is many people don’t know how to properly use a lineman’s rope, and then they choose micro diameters that are flimsy as well. Climbing with your tether attached is a great way to also prevent a fall. I like that you mentioned using items to keep you from putting your fingers under the tether.
Also saddle hunting has some similarities to using sticks and a hang on stand but not exactly because we stay facing the tree with a front connection point and under tension. Most stand users face away from the tree with a dorsal attachment and some slack for mobility. Our system is supposed to always be under tension therefore removing your opportunities for a fall of any distance or magnitude.

Also for you TN guys @always89y is planning on putting on a saddle hunter meet up sometime this year. I believe it would be a great opportunity for everyone to learn from one another and see some of his gadgets that assist with rope mobility and positioning.

@Brian in TN welcome. If you truly want to climb safely, one sticking is probably one of the least safe methods of ascending the tree. However if you take your time and user some additional gear you can minimize your slack and risks of falling. Everyone on here has different methods for ascending and descending the tree and each method comes with its own set of pros and cons. The trick will be for you to figure out what works best for you. Don’t just base your choices on what’s cool on you tube, base it on the type of trees you climb, the length of your hunts as well as distances you plan to walk. Base it on your comfort level with weight and perhaps with tying knots. Base it on your physical attributes and on your financial situation.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. While I am no longer selling and manufacturing saddles, I would be happy to help you figure out a starting point and to also weed out what works and what doesn’t as well as places where it’s worth it to spend more and places where it’s ok to stay cheap.
Best of luck to you and I think you’ll enjoy saddle hunting. Its been a great tool for many of us

I respectfully disagree with a couple of your points. A “lineman’s rope” is a safety positioning lanyard. If it’s used correctly and also kept under tension you will not fall straight to the ground. The problem is many people don’t know how to properly use a lineman’s rope, and then they choose micro diameters that are flimsy as well. Climbing with your tether attached is a great way to also prevent a fall. I like that you mentioned using items to keep you from putting your fingers under the tether.
Also saddle hunting has some similarities to using sticks and a hang on stand but not exactly because we stay facing the tree with a front connection point and under tension. Most stand users face away from the tree with a dorsal attachment and some slack for mobility. Our system is supposed to always be under tension therefore removing your opportunities for a fall of any distance or magnitude.

Also for you TN guys @always89y is planning on putting on a saddle hunter meet up sometime this year. I believe it would be a great opportunity for everyone to learn from one another and see some of his gadgets that assist with rope mobility and positioning.

@Brian in TN welcome. If you truly want to climb safely, one sticking is probably one of the least safe methods of ascending the tree. However if you take your time and user some additional gear you can minimize your slack and risks of falling. Everyone on here has different methods for ascending and descending the tree and each method comes with its own set of pros and cons. The trick will be for you to figure out what works best for you. Don’t just base your choices on what’s cool on you tube, base it on the type of trees you climb, the length of your hunts as well as distances you plan to walk. Base it on your comfort level with weight and perhaps with tying knots. Base it on your physical attributes and on your financial situation.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. While I am no longer selling and manufacturing saddles, I would be happy to help you figure out a starting point and to also weed out what works and what doesn’t as well as places where it’s worth it to spend more and places where it’s ok to stay cheap.
Best of luck to you and I think you’ll enjoy saddle hunting. Its been a great tool for many of us

Disagree all you want but if you fall, even on a properly tensioned lineman’s rope there is a very good chance you may skid down the tree instead of being caught. There are way too many recorded cases of that happening to argue otherwise. Even lineman themselves use a different system than what we use that creates a girth hitch to the pole if they fall in order to ensure it stops them. Granted that slide down is vastly better than falling at full speed to the sudden stop at the bottom but a proper tether will stop you from falling even if it has some slack. Add to the problem of sliding down the tree the issue that you WILL be hitting the stick or platform that is directly below you and between you and the tree that the lineman’s rips is desperately trying to pull you against. Self-recovery is also complicated with a lineman’s rope. IF the lineman’s rope catches me then I have to do something to secure myself safely to the tree. IF I remove any slack from that lineman’s rope, then I’m headed down once again. There are just way too many issues with only trusting a lineman’s rope that we have to quit over valuing its safety aspect compared to a proper tether and it is so easy to simply use a tether as your lifeline. I still use a lineman’s rope in conjunction with the tether on certain trees for the added balance and stability as I 1-stick climb.

As to your other disagreement, my comments were based on the risks of climbing, not once you’re in the stand where a lineman’s is normally not used at all.

Welcome from a fellow Tennessean. What part of the state are ya from?

I will add to what others have already said about keeping your tether tight. Removing as much slack as possible is paramount to staying safe while saddle hunting/climbing. Check and double check all your ropes and gear for fit and function. Go slow at first and don't be in a hurry.

I also like redundancy in my system. Yes, it adds to the fiddle factor and some may say it's too much to fuss with, but it's what makes ME feel comfortable and confident that I can end up coming back home to my family at the end of the day. I use a friction hitch above my madrock while climbing as a backup. I climb with both tether and linemans. Once at height, I use my linemans as a second tether, hitched to a redundant bridge on my saddle. I basically try to eliminate any Single Point of Failure out of my climbing system, where two or more things would need to fail for something to go wrong. The only single points I have left are the saddle itself, and the tree I'm in. I really don't think the saddle is failing, this thing is built tough and could probably hold up a car lol.

BT

Disagree all you want but if you fall, even on a properly tensioned lineman’s rope there is a very good chance you may skid down the tree instead of being caught. There are way too many recorded cases of that happening to argue otherwise. Even lineman themselves use a different system than what we use that creates a girth hitch to the pole if they fall in order to ensure it stops them. Granted that slide down is vastly better than falling at full speed to the sudden stop at the bottom but a proper tether will stop you from falling even if it has some slack. Add to the problem of sliding down the tree the issue that you WILL be hitting the stick or platform that is directly below you and between you and the tree that the lineman’s rips is desperately trying to pull you against. Self-recovery is also complicated with a lineman’s rope. IF the lineman’s rope catches me then I have to do something to secure myself safely to the tree. IF I remove any slack from that lineman’s rope, then I’m headed down once again. There are just way too many issues with only trusting a lineman’s rope that we have to quit over valuing its safety aspect compared to a proper tether and it is so easy to simply use a tether as your lifeline. I still use a lineman’s rope in conjunction with the tether on certain trees for the added balance and stability as I 1-stick climb.

As to your other disagreement, my comments were based on the risks of climbing, not once you’re in the stand where a lineman’s is normally not used at all.
Can you please tell me more about how lineman and utility workers climb? The ones I see are always sitting in a bucket :sweatsmile:

Ok seriously here, I wasn’t saying you are completely wrong, only parts of those statements…
You are now talking about lineman and utility workers. A subject I just might know a little something about.
The “system” that girth hitched the pole you are referring to is called a squeeze. And most lineman didn’t use them at all until after 2014 when regulations on fall safety were changed by OSHA and ANSI. Most of the guys I work with hate them because they anre way more cumbersome than free hand climbing. Also worth considering is that lineman are on spikes which are not as stable as say a climbing stick. In fact if you are on spikes and you lean in too much or if your toes aren’t pointing towards the sky, it’s nearly a guarantee that you cut out… They are climbing poles with no branches and are climbing a smoothed pole with no bark for additional friction. While there are some similarities, it’s also not a true apples to apples comparison.

Do you have any statistics showing the number of falls to the bottom of the tree/injuries, where the “lineman’s rope” was used properly verses falls injuries ect where it wasn’t used properly or perhaps at all? I’ve looked and I can’t find where those statistics are, let alone with it broke down like that anywhere. I can however see a bunch of videos on line, of guys or influencers/ manufacturers, not using their lineman rope and videos of them using it incorrectly.

Again, I agree that a tether is a good idea to stop you from falling but it comes with its on set of complications and risks, when advancing it while climbing on sticks. If you climb on your tether and create slack while stepping up, you run the exact same risk of hitting your climbing stick or the tree if you slip and fall.

As far as difficulty with recovery if a lineman rope catches you….. that’s your experience and your opinion. I can tell you, I personally had no issues with recovery when those cheap hawk standoffs bent. I also didn’t go slipping down the tree. My entire “fall event” was less than 18”. My lineman rope caught me/ swung me in and my “injuries” were a little scratch from the tree bark/ stick, and it didn’t even bleed. But again this is a personal experience and also knowing how to use a lineman’s rope properly.

Thank you for the conversation though. Safety and climbing are always worth having discussions on.

Question 4 ya @Brian in TN..... when u use ur summit are u tethered/harnessed in from the ground advancing the tether with every move of the climber base?

Also....if u use a climber before we gonna have to assume u hunt limbless trees pretty regular correct?
Yes, I use the harness from the ground up when using my climber. And yes, I either have to climb limbless trees or trim smaller branches. I like that you can go around limbs using a lineman's belt and tether when saddle hunting and look forward to perfecting that skill. I also put climbing ropes on my ladder stands and clip into them even though it is kind of inconvenient to climb that way. Fortunately I haven't fallen and needed any of this yet but I have friends who have. I had a really scary incident with my climbing stand last year that I may post in a separate thread sometime. I assume many saddle hunter still use climbing stands from time to time.

Thanks for the offer to meet! I am in Kingsport (Tri-Cities) and you are just under 3 hours away depending on Knoxville traffic. I may reach out at some point if you don't mind showing a newbie the ropes!

Can you please tell me more about how lineman and utility workers climb? The ones I see are always sitting in a bucket :sweatsmile:

Ok seriously here, I wasn’t saying you are completely wrong, only parts of those statements…
You are now talking about lineman and utility workers. A subject I just might know a little something about.
The “system” that girth hitched the pole you are referring to is called a squeeze. And most lineman didn’t use them at all until after 2014 when regulations on fall safety were changed by OSHA and ANSI. Most of the guys I work with hate them because they anre way more cumbersome than free hand climbing. Also worth considering is that lineman are on spikes which are not as stable as say a climbing stick. In fact if you are on spikes and you lean in too much or if your toes aren’t pointing towards the sky, it’s nearly a guarantee that you cut out… They are climbing poles with no branches and are climbing a smoothed pole with no bark for additional friction. While there are some similarities, it’s also not a true apples to apples comparison.

Do you have any statistics showing the number of falls to the bottom of the tree/injuries, where the “lineman’s rope” was used properly verses falls injuries ect where it wasn’t used properly or perhaps at all? I’ve looked and I can’t find where those statistics are, let alone with it broke down like that anywhere. I can however see a bunch of videos on line, of guys or influencers/ manufacturers, not using their lineman rope and videos of them using it incorrectly.

Again, I agree that a tether is a good idea to stop you from falling but it comes with its on set of complications and risks, when advancing it while climbing on sticks. If you climb on your tether and create slack while stepping up, you run the exact same risk of hitting your climbing stick or the tree if you slip and fall.

As far as difficulty with recovery if a lineman rope catches you….. that’s your experience and your opinion. I can tell you, I personally had no issues with recovery when those cheap hawk standoffs bent. I also didn’t go slipping down the tree. My entire “fall event” was less than 18”. My lineman rope caught me/ swung me in and my “injuries” were a little scratch from the tree bark/ stick, and it didn’t even bleed. But again this is a personal experience and also knowing how to use a lineman’s rope properly.

Thank you for the conversation though. Safety and climbing are always worth having discussions on.
First of all, let me apologize, I don’t mean to sound defensive or confrontational.

On the rare occasion you see a lineman climbing a pole they have a lineman’s rope but it has what is a called a rope grab, the same goes for those who are climbing trees with spikes. It essentially is an additional rope that will cause a girth hitch around the tree in the event of a fall.

You ask about statistics, no, just the reports I see here and on facebook groups from those who have taken a fall on a lineman’s rope. Several of them reported sliding down the tree, and a couple of it basically not catching at all. Granted, it’s likely due to them not using it correctly, but that has to be taken into consideration. Consider also that your given example, which I’m glad you were okay, is your experience as you mentioned. You know how to use it properly, most do not.

I do know that most people who use a lineman’s rope use it with way too much slack, the same can be said for those who climb on a tether. Both are dangerous. Here’s my issue with a lineman’s rope as the sole safety to prevent a fall. There have been way too many cases of people who it didn’t catch, for example in the process of moving it up so it’s not tight against the tree, or on smooth barked trees. For me, why would I want to trust my life to something that “might” or even “might likely” prevent a fall when I can easily trust something that will most certainly stop my fall. Granted, if i allow an excessive amount of slack into that tether as I move up, I’m still going to have a nasty drop that will likely hurt me.

Just as you mentioned, it is a safety discussion. For me, and based on what I have seen form others experience, the tether is much safer than a lineman’s. There seems to be a general trend of thought among the saddle hunting community that agrees as well. I use a lineman’s rope but solely as a second set of hands to stabilize. My life hangs from a tether where I do not allow any more slack than a single step up and I know that tether will catch me.

Thanks for the conversation as well.

I will add to what others have already said about keeping your tether tight. Removing as much slack as possible is paramount to staying safe while saddle hunting/climbing. Check and double check all your ropes and gear for fit and function. Go slow at first and don't be in a hurry.

I also like redundancy in my system. Yes, it adds to the fiddle factor and some may say it's too much to fuss with, but it's what makes ME feel comfortable and confident that I can end up coming back home to my family at the end of the day. I use a friction hitch above my madrock while climbing as a backup. I climb with both tether and linemans. Once at height, I use my linemans as a second tether, hitched to a redundant bridge on my saddle. I basically try to eliminate any Single Point of Failure out of my climbing system, where two or more things would need to fail for something to go wrong. The only single points I have left are the saddle itself, and the tree I'm in. I really don't think the saddle is failing, this thing is built tough and could probably hold up a car lol.

BT

Thank you for the welcome and the offer to advise.

BT
Thank you. I am in Kingsport. I like the idea of building in some redundancy and plan to do that as well.

If it were me I'd start out trying 2tc with double stirrups like CGM makes for ur footloops .....that is the closest to the movements u are accustom to climbing with a climbing tree stand. Stand sit stand sit.....1 stick u would have to do some maneuvers that u may not be accustom to. Less to buy, lighter carry weight, "easier" movements......and then if u don't like that u could sell and get ya an EWO 1 stick

If it were me I'd start out trying 2tc with double stirrups like CGM makes for ur footloops .....that is the closest to the movements u are accustom to climbing with a climbing tree stand. Stand sit stand sit.....1 stick u would have to do some maneuvers that u may not be accustom to. Less to buy, lighter carry weight, "easier" movements......and then if u don't like that u could sell and get ya an EWO 1 stick
I've watched a few 2tc videos and it does look to be very light weight and efficient. And there's not much tether slack it seems. I thought it might be harder to learn. I'll take a look at some more videos. Those I've bothered to watch so far were not done so well.

First of all, let me apologize, I don’t mean to sound defensive or confrontational.

On the rare occasion you see a lineman climbing a pole they have a lineman’s rope but it has what is a called a rope grab, the same goes for those who are climbing trees with spikes. It essentially is an additional rope that will cause a girth hitch around the tree in the event of a fall.

You ask about statistics, no, just the reports I see here and on facebook groups from those who have taken a fall on a lineman’s rope. Several of them reported sliding down the tree, and a couple of it basically not catching at all. Granted, it’s likely due to them not using it correctly, but that has to be taken into consideration. Consider also that your given example, which I’m glad you were okay, is your experience as you mentioned. You know how to use it properly, most do not.

I do know that most people who use a lineman’s rope use it with way too much slack, the same can be said for those who climb on a tether. Both are dangerous. Here’s my issue with a lineman’s rope as the sole safety to prevent a fall. There have been way too many cases of people who it didn’t catch, for example in the process of moving it up so it’s not tight against the tree, or on smooth barked trees. For me, why would I want to trust my life to something that “might” or even “might likely” prevent a fall when I can easily trust something that will most certainly stop my fall. Granted, if i allow an excessive amount of slack into that tether as I move up, I’m still going to have a nasty drop that will likely hurt me.

Just as you mentioned, it is a safety discussion. For me, and based on what I have seen form others experience, the tether is much safer than a lineman’s. There seems to be a general trend of thought among the saddle hunting community that agrees as well. I use a lineman’s rope but solely as a second set of hands to stabilize. My life hangs from a tether where I do not allow any more slack than a single step up and I know that tether will catch me.

I enjoyed watching this cordial exchange of views and learned from it. Thank you both for taking the time to comment.

I reached out to @always89y requesting to be notified if a meeting is organized. He's only an hour and a half away in Knoxville it appears.

Oh, I like the idea of one sticking because it's less weight and you can climb higher than with 3 - 4 sticks. Sometimes I need to get to 30 ft to get above a trail in these hills! And, walking up and down hills with a lot of weight isn't fun! I'm blessed to be physically capable and financially able to buy quality equipment. Safety over speed for sure. Thanks.

For climbing on tree gaffs, one should be on both a choking system AND lanyard. It's a pain to do, but the only safe way.

If you fall on just a lanyard, yes, you can go straight down unless Lady Luck is on your side and you get caught on a nub.

Back