• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pursuit Platform Gen 2 questions

CharlieTN

This platform has intrigued me since it was first launched. Now that they have the Gen2 version out that seems to handle the weight of bigger guys, it really has interested me so I picked one up used.

In my initial testing I really like it. Very solid on the tree, just enough room, lightweight and relatively easy for me to carry in. I’m 260lbs and it held my weight beautifully without problem. I did notice that when my shoes were wet that I had to be very careful or it would squeak a bit. Has anyone else had this problem? It might have been those particular shoes which are not the ones I hunt with. If so, was there something you did to quiet it down? I’m considering doing some paracord wrap to stop this on the 15* side which is the one I’m most likely to use.

In addition, how are you all carrying it in? I’m using it in conjunction with 3 squirrel/pioneer steps. Here’s what I’ve done so far. I just tuck the squirrel steps into the space from one side, wrap the OCB strap around the platform and secure it with a bit of bungee cord. I tied two loops of paracord, one on each corner than then chook those into some kydex clips I made for the back of my saddle. Seems to be working well.

IMG_3804.jpeg
IMG_2676.jpeg
IMG_2677.jpeg

I hope to give it a full test on a tree maybe Friday when this round of rain finally passes through.

Thanks everyone.

I recently got 1 as well....I noticed some squeakers too. I haven't had much time to tinker with it much to remedy. As far as carrying goes I think u on the right track...my previous platform was basically the same thing as a pursuit and I carried it the way u describing but attached to my hunt vest vs my saddle. The old platform was basically a pillow so it didn't matter if it flopped a little. This new pursuit being hard I don't want any flop so I'm trying to come up with a way to add essentially a "bird bag" on my vest like a turkey vest has....big sack on the back u can throw things into..I plan to throw the pursuit in there

I noticed some squeaking from my vibram outsoles on one pair of boots but no squeaking from a different pair of boots.
I've carried mine with on an S-beaner and never had enough swing to worry about when sneaking in close, fast walking down the access road it would swing but I could hold on to it with one hand easily enough it wasn't a large concern

Interesting ideas. I haven’t noticed any squeaking on my platform. Have only worn Irish setter insulated rubber boots and Sketchers hikers on mine and didn’t have any issues.

As far as packing it, I just shove it in a pack. Thats one of main reasons I got it, to be able to do that.

I never noticed any squeaking last season. I used it for the entirety of the season in Michigan, so it was out in varied temps. I use the compression straps on the outside of my pack to hold it while I’m climbing. I love the platform.
As I recall it’s designed to use the strap as a belt and have the platform in the small of your back as I recall. I may try that next year.

I’ve got to get out and try it with my regular hunting boots. I’m betting that was where the issue came in from.

I’m trying the hanging it from the saddle way of carrying it for early season when I’m hoping to just carry a waist back for the extras. I also like the idea that when I walk up to the tree I don’t have to take off my pack and unhook anything. Everything is within reach on my saddle. Stage my weapon, and start hooking stuff to the tree then climb. That’s the idea anyway.

I'm not sure they are ever going to do anything with it but I seem to recall the Pursuit company bought a company that had a carbon fiber 1 stick. I could be wrong but I thought I saw that on here. That would be the only thing I might move away from this platform for.

I'm not sure they are ever going to do anything with it but I seem to recall the Pursuit company bought a company that had a carbon fiber 1 stick. I could be wrong but I thought I saw that on here. That would be the only thing I might move away from this platform for.

Yes, I believe they bought catalyst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Gen 1 and Gen 2. I'm 185 lbs buck neked and more with gear, and that Gen 1 smushed around like a yoga mat under my weight. I've seen videos of the Gen 1 where heavier guys had better luck. So maybe they were inconsistent? The Gen 2 is much better.

I haven't hunted much with mine, but before I paracord wrapped it, I would consider roughing up the surface with some fine grit. New plastic platform and new boots or certain boots might not get along. If you don't mind the slight weight penalty and the work, then a wrap would be cool too. But that can always be done after the sandpaper test.

As far as carrying it in, I have bungee cords with balls tied on my pack in a way that I can attach pretty much any platform to my backpack. I walk in pretty far at times and I don't wear my saddle in.

I have a Gen 1 and Gen 2. I'm 185 lbs buck neked and more with gear, and that Gen 1 smushed around like a yoga mat under my weight. I've seen videos of the Gen 1 where heavier guys had better luck. So maybe they were inconsistent? The Gen 2 is much better.
The Gen 1 was definitely inconsistent. They put up a video explaining why and offering to exchange it for a Gen2 for anyone who has a Gen1. Short version is their manufacturer used a different plastic than specified. The plastic they specified is supposed to be 10x stronger than what was used. All their testing was done with the inferior material, so most of the Gen 1's will be perfectly fine. Anyway here's the video, I need to email them about the exchange process and see if I want to monkey with it or keep rocking the Gen1.

The Gen 1 was definitely inconsistent. They put up a video explaining why and offering to exchange it for a Gen2 for anyone who has a Gen1. Short version is their manufacturer used a different plastic than specified. The plastic they specified is supposed to be 10x stronger than what was used. All their testing was done with the inferior material, so most of the Gen 1's will be perfectly fine. Anyway here's the video, I need to email them about the exchange process and see if I want to monkey with it or keep rocking the Gen1.

Dang....wish I knew that before I bought a Gen 2. Now I have both. Oh well, not gonna mess with it now.

I hate the Paracord wrap personally.....takes forever to dry out. If I decide to wrap mine I use this green rubber coated wire I got at the dollar store. It's for gardening. I did my tree stands like that and it works great....about same diameter as paracord ...maybe a little smaller ..but rubber so more grippy

I hate the Paracord wrap personally.....takes forever to dry out. If I decide to wrap mine I use this green rubber coated wire I got at the dollar store. It's for gardening. I did my tree stands like that and it works great....about same diameter as paracord ...maybe a little smaller ..but rubber so more grippy

I wonder if 7/64" amsteel would work better than paracord? I know it doesn't absorb water at the molecular level and dyneema is more abrasion resistant than kevlar.

Although with paracord I exploit the fact that it absorbs water and elongates by soaking it before doing the wrap (then it shrinks down even tighter).

Your soggy paracord issue might be a Florida thing. In WV, it just doesn't rain enough for it to be a routine bother.

I tried my normal early season boots and it still squeaked some, so I tried roughing up the finish with some 150 grit sandpaper. Still squeaked some, so I am doing some strategic paracord rapping. I’m not too worried about the wet issue since I hunt in TN and I’m also not much for hunting in pouring rain anyway.

I have found that I like the 30* side, a lot. I’ve been trying it on a telephone pole in the yard and it locks down nice and tight with the OCB so I’m not worried about it on a real tree. Really think I’m going to like this platform.

The rubber coated wire is a very good idea. I think I have some, if I can just find it in the shop.

I tried my normal early season boots and it still squeaked some, so I tried roughing up the finish with some 150 grit sandpaper. Still squeaked some, so I am doing some strategic paracord rapping. I’m not too worried about the wet issue since I hunt in TN and I’m also not much for hunting in pouring rain anyway.

I have found that I like the 30* side, a lot. I’ve been trying it on a telephone pole in the yard and it locks down nice and tight with the OCB so I’m not worried about it on a real tree. Really think I’m going to like this platform.

The rubber coated wire is a very good idea. I think I have some, if I can just find it in the shop.

Are you sure it isn't the tree against the platform? I'd hate for you to do a bunch and discover that. Maybe try it with feet in a cloth bag....if it still squeaks then maybe it is the tree.

Are you sure it isn't the tree against the platform? I'd hate for you to do a bunch and discover that. Maybe try it with feet in a cloth bag....if it still squeaks then maybe it is the tree.
Yeah, I took and rubbed my wet shoe directly on the platform while holding it and it squeaked some. It’s not horrible.

I’m honestly considering taking my wood burner to it to add just a slight texture anyway without weakening it any. Debating that anyway. I’ve done it with several knife handles and even the grip on a pistol before, but never anything my weight was standing on. I would imagine if done lightly it wouldn’t be a problem.

Yeah, I took and rubbed my wet shoe directly on the platform while holding it and it squeaked some. It’s not horrible.

I’m honestly considering taking my wood burner to it to add just a slight texture anyway without weakening it any. Debating that anyway. I’ve done it with several knife handles and even the grip on a pistol before, but never anything my weight was standing on. I would imagine if done lightly it wouldn’t be a problem.

they make stippling bits for dremels....of course the friction might transmit heat as well

would you be able to turn around on that? I have seen the first pursuit and didn't like seeing that movement but may concider the gen 2 if you guys say it is a lot better. I am getting the bullman ros tomarrow and I think I might want to have some sort of platform

I think it would of been a good idea if they put somkind of metal insert where it grips I think that rubber will lose its grip within time due to wear

Back