• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone just use the ring of step?

I rarely sit. I had 14k steps on Saturday, 18k on Sunday. Yesterday I worked in the office all day and still had 10.5.....lol

I am planning a few sits next fall using about four steps (two each side of tree) with a Pursuit Platform (that triangular plastic thing) between the two as my "platform". It's not much of a platform, to be sure, but for a few hours I suspect it will do. I will use a cam-buckle or OCB to secure the whole thing, using the bigger Treehopper OCB which gets a lot of purchase on the strap. So far, tests in the back yard are looking pretty good.

I just got my bullman ros I got the 6 pc set. I see they sent me a strip of sandpaper looks like i can cut them to stick on the steps for traction. did you put them on yours?
I saw an announcement that they were including that with the steps now. Apparently some people had felt the steps were slick. i would be worried about the inherent noise of the traction tape.

For me, I would get a wood burner and just burn in some texture if I was worried about it. Easy enough to do, won’t wear out like the tranction tape, and won’t come off. Just make sure the area is well ventilated when you do it.

I just got my bullman ros I got the 6 pc set. I see they sent me a strip of sandpaper looks like i can cut them to stick on the steps for traction. did you put them on yours?
I have never felt like sound or traction was an issue on mine.

You can use them alone, especially for 2TC, I like the bullmans. Last year i ended up mostly doing RDA one stick small platform, with 3-4 steps depending on the size of tree, and the predator XL just didn’t get employed much. I’m considering going back to the ratchet, since I’ve had trouble getting the OCB tight on some “weird” trees, or leaners but only if i can reliably keep that darn thing quiet.

Majority of my time, I’m sitting pigeon toes with my heels on the RDA crows nest, and my toes on the steps at 4 o’clock and 8 o clock. I climb with the steps around my neck (probably a bad practice), so i decide at base of the tree if i need a 4th step, and if so I’ll dig it out of the pack. Only did this once.

I take my time fixing the one stick and the steps on the last move while sitting back in the saddle.

I've never tried a ring of steps, but hoping to this season. Do others have similar problems with putting on layers, peeing, etc on these steps?
I just got mine this year and haven't hunted off off of them yet, but I don't see why putting on jacket would be an issue. I did it for a couple years one sticking while sitting in the saddle at height (not standing on a platform). Peeing, well that could be an issue lol. But I don't have that problem because I rarely hang for more than 3-4 hours.

Last edited:
Back