• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Long Distance Archery or TAC Practice

Ice fishing ended way too early this year so I have built a dz tac arrows that are inexpensive and about 90 gn lighter than what I hunt with. I dialed in my sight for the faster arrow and then the weather went to hell. Since the weather turned against me I haven't had a chance to practice beyond 10 yds in my basement. The good news is I am ready so once the weather breaks I will be able to start practicing. I should be about a month ahead of where I was last year. So far I have been able to resist the temptation of the Canyon Pounder and now the I have my MBG set up for my tac arrow I think I am safe.
What is your arrow build?

After time with the CP, you may want to wait until the Spot Hogg Boonie comes out. If you are right handed, give the UV Slider a good look too.

Ice fishing ended way too early this year so I have built a dz tac arrows that are inexpensive and about 90 gn lighter than what I hunt with. I dialed in my sight for the faster arrow and then the weather went to hell. Since the weather turned against me I haven't had a chance to practice beyond 10 yds in my basement. The good news is I am ready so once the weather breaks I will be able to start practicing. I should be about a month ahead of where I was last year. So far I have been able to resist the temptation of the Canyon Pounder and now the I have my MBG set up for my tac arrow I think I am safe.
I'm also trying to build a lighter arrow for long distance. I got some 3dhv, at 29" with ethics 100 grain inserts and 60 gr points. I'm using easy vanes smallest and lightest vanes. Total is 335 gr. Shooting at 65 lbs.....anything wrong with any of that? I can go up in point weight obviously, but once our snow melts ill be trying to see what my max range is with sight housing at its lowest and vane clearance at min.

The CP is extremely nice and built like a tank. It would be a great crossover sight for a guy shooting target and hunting. My only real gripe is the adjustment knobs are not as easy as a side mount. For a lot less money the UV and SH are great. I would have kept the UV without a doubt if it was lefty. Any of the 3 would be great.
For price and features I think the UV would be my first choice.
*Oh, personally I really like a vertical pin set up. UV and SH with a Dark Owl scope would be worth a thought.

What is your arrow build?
Easton 6.5 30.125 carbon to carbon 3 fletch max stealth, stock 22 gn aluminum insert with a 100 gn tip. 450 gn total weight. pulling 60 lbs 30" draw.
I shot the Prime course at VT last year with my sight good to 95 yds. The only target that I had to use Kentucky windage on wast the 125 yd Buffalo, I came up 3 yards short of the target. I went straight up his leg then kept going up until I got to the top of the trees behind him. It was probably a 30' hold over.

After time with the CP, you may want to wait until the Spot Hogg Boonie comes out. If you are right handed, give the UV Slider a good look too.
I was looking at the uv as well, I will stick with the mbg this year and see what comes out between now and then. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm also trying to build a lighter arrow for long distance. I got some 3dhv, at 29" with ethics 100 grain inserts and 60 gr points. I'm using easy vanes smallest and lightest vanes. Total is 335 gr. Shooting at 65 lbs.....anything wrong with any of that? I can go up in point weight obviously, but once our snow melts ill be trying to see what my max range is with sight housing at its lowest and vane clearance at min.
That should do it, if you need more clearance you could go 60 deg x 120 deg. 4 fletch.

What does that mean....the 60 and 120 degrees part?
I haven't tried it I just happened to notice that Bitzenburger has a special nock receiver to fletch with 60 and 120 deg spacing. I have no idea how it will effect flight. I can see how it would help shooting trad. Std 4 fletch will give more clearance than 3 fletch. I may give it a try for curiosity sake.

I should fly just fine. I would try the 90* four fletch with some smaller vanes first. Something like a TAC 2.25, Bohning Heat or the AAE Pro Max.

Back