• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Long Distance Archery or TAC Practice

woodsdog2

SH Member
Kind of a spinoff of @gcr0003's "One shot, everyone knows the rules!" thread, let's see your long distance shooting groups. Whatever is long distance (LD) for you is all that matters. I really enjoyed shooting TAC this past early summer and in practicing for it I've been going up to my buddy's farm almost every night shooting from 40 to 90 yards with the hopes of eventually getting out to 125. I always thought, I would never be able to do it so I'm not going to try. What a mistake!! I kind of purposefully forced my own hand this spring to get ready and when you set a goal and know you have to achieve it, you usually make things happen in your mind (and body) to work toward that end. And it really is true, If you want to be good at 40 practice at 60 etc.

Disclaimer: This isn't practicing to shoot at game at >60 yards, its practicing to understand your form much better to become a better archery shot and bowhunter. Everything you do at short range is multiplied significantly at longer distance as you will find out, but do not fear!! Gather some old (lighter) arrows of the correct spine that you don't care about and start loosing them at longer distance targets. I've come to enjoy shooting a bow so much better with the added challange of long distance shooting practice. It really is a lot of fun. I hope it proves to be for you as well.

So post pics of your long-distance groups be it with Trad, Compound or Xbow!!

I'll start, here are my groups the other night at 60yards. Compound.IMG-3486.jpg

107 at tac a few months ago, the blue fletchings

4ed519079f6737e4a9471c2d2e5ba188.jpg

70 yards back in February

e9d1ffca338279d432511549a31a1e9f.jpg

And 70 again before last season.

325501b41ecac2c88236ee4f3f31939a.jpg

I enjoy shooting those longer ranges. I’m not very good at it but have strung a couple good groups out and even that lucky bomb at tac. It really makes those 20-30 yard shots feel like chip shots.

107 at tac a few months ago, the blue fletchings

4ed519079f6737e4a9471c2d2e5ba188.jpg

70 yards back in February

e9d1ffca338279d432511549a31a1e9f.jpg

And 70 again before last season.

325501b41ecac2c88236ee4f3f31939a.jpg

I enjoy shooting those longer ranges. I’m not very good at it but have strung a couple good groups out and even that lucky bomb at tac. It really makes those 20-30 yard shots feel like chip shots.
Wow nice groups! What is your shot process?

Wow nice groups! What is your shot process?

Right now is put on target and punch the crap out of it. When I’ve been shooting better I just repeat stuff in my head saying not to punch it and control the shot then controllably punch the crap out of it . My biggest thing is getting on target and actually starting a process. It’s hard to have a shot process when you struggle to get on the target. But from what I’ve seen from the “experts” if you just think about the shot process the aiming figures itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now is put on target and punch the crap out of it. When I’ve been shooting better I just repeat stuff in my head saying not to punch it and control the shot then controllably punch the crap out of it . My biggest thing is getting on target and actually starting a process. It’s hard to have a shot process when you struggle to get on the target. But from what I’ve seen from the “experts” if you just think about the shot process the aiming figures itself out.

That’s what I’m learning as well. Rushed shots or punching the trigger seem to occur more for me when I’m focused on the aiming. I also have to change my pin focus from pin to target which I’ve never done in the past. The target was always fuzzy and the pin clear like handgun sight shooting. With these longer distances I am forced to focus on the middle of the target mass with a blurry pin. And at my age both are blurry already :fearscream:. But I agree, moving my conscious attention to the trigger and triggering process helps me keep the pin much steadier I’m finding out. I’m still using an index release and I have a thumb button but my draw length feels too long with it and so consistently triggering it the proper way i ls still a struggle.

Yesterday evening’s groups. I shot six ends total. The first three at 90, the second three at 60. Comparatively speaking, my 90 yarders were better than my 60!!! I was dropping my bow arm bad.

Attachments

• IMG_3550.jpeg
    IMG_3550.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3551.jpeg
    IMG_3551.jpeg
    488.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3552.jpeg
    IMG_3552.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3556.jpeg
    IMG_3556.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 42
b7d47b0b8cf1077d98eef49d61e6c6b1.jpg

Again at 40. First started with my 30 yard crawl and a hold over and wasn’t happy with that so tried a 40 crawl which forced going to split finger. These 2 pics were after that switch and felt like I was getting close. Then the rain hit. The low left shot in this pic was a horrible release. The other shot was clean execution of what I figured out on the previous pic.

I just saw this. First 3 shots of the day. 102.5 yards.
View attachment 87240View attachment 87241
That’s one of the things I want to place on my target…. A large darkened circle so I have a better point of reference at extreme distances. I’m practicing my long distance form so being able to pick a spot is much less important than being able to reference the target in relation to my pin and squeezing or pulling through each time. The more I concentrate on my anchor and triggering and the less in the pin float the better my groups. Not that you can see much improvement with mine yet but I’m noticing subtle improvements.

Back