• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

At what distance do your kill your deer?

What distance have you killed most of your archery deer?

• 1 to 10 yards

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • 10-20 yards

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • 20-30 yards

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • 30-40 yards

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 40-50 yards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greater than 50 yards

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

1simplemann

SH Member
Just curious how far are you guys are kill n' em'. I'm of the older generation so I generally don't take far shots. Most of my deer are killed at 20 yds or less. I can count on 1 hand how many deer I've killed over 30yds. (100+ bowkills). a I live in the West so further shots can and do happen more often than in the East but I'm still putting them down close. This year's buck was I think 12 yds. The reason I ask was I was in Big Box sporting goods store the other day. The guy behind the counter was showing me his buck. 81 yds! A young man I know was telling me that he shot a grouse at 97 yds. Good shooting! But I would never even begin to shoot something that far. Maybe someone can start a distance survey?

I took two bucks this past season and I think both were at about 16 to 17 yards. Early in my bowhunting I killed a doe at about 30 yards. My closest bow kill was 3 yards. Almost all have been 25 and in and the majority of those have been inside 20. My biggest buck I killed at 12 yards.

30yd is the most distant I've taksn with a crossbow. Modern flat shooting bows an crossbows you can take the longer shots if you're dialed in and can see that far.

Don't think I've even taken a shot at deer over 80 with a gun here

12 to 15 with the recurves, 20-30 with compounds. I did kill a doe many years ago at 45 yards with a recurve but she was framed perfectly between two willows with a fallen oak laying horizontal at the ribline. If I'd missed the lungs it would have hit tree or gone over the back. She ran about 30 yards and dropped with the arrow in the dirt beyond both lungs. I haven't taken those kind of shots for several decades but understand when younger fellas do so.

I've killed deer as close as 5 yards and as far as 35 yards. My average and preferred shot distance is around 12-15 yards. My longest bow kill was a squirrel at 50+ yards with a random arrow I'd found in the woods minutes earlier.

2 years ago I killed a buck at 31 yds. Last year I killed 6 deer all 21 yds and under. 35 yds is my limit that I’ll reach out to. My main reason is the deer I hunt will definitely jump the string and I doubt I would have a clean shot any further out than that.

Just curious how far are you guys are kill n' em'. I'm of the older generation so I generally don't take far shots. Most of my deer are killed at 20 yds or less. I can count on 1 hand how many deer I've killed over 30yds. (100+ bowkills). a I live in the West so further shots can and do happen more often than in the East but I'm still putting them down close. This year's buck was I think 12 yds. The reason I ask was I was in Big Box sporting goods store the other day. The guy behind the counter was showing me his buck. 81 yds! A young man I know was telling me that he shot a grouse at 97 yds. Good shooting! But I would never even begin to shoot something that far. Maybe someone can start a distance survey?

I rather prefer the survey…At what distance did you maim a deer?

Of course, we can’t expect honesty either way. Though some will be, regardless.

But folks seem eager to share tales of glory, whereas tales of stupidity are much more guarded.

Seems like you guys are getting them in close. Can someone start a survey so we can put some number together? I'm thinking Number of kills from 10-20yd, 20-30yds, 30-40 yds etc. so we can get some %'s.

Seems like you guys are getting them in close. Can someone start a survey so we can put some number together? I'm thinking Number of kills from 10-20yd, 20-30yds, 30-40 yds etc. so we can get some %'s.

Do you want it on this thread? I can make that happen . . . I know a guy. ;)

Longest distance for me was 41 yards, not ideal but I adjusted for drop and made a great shot and short tracking. Everything else has been under 25.

In 50 years of bowhunting my longest was just under 40 yds, closest was around 3 yds. Most fall in the 10-20 yd range and that's typically the range I try to set up at.

If pressed on it though I have to admit I've also shown I'm capable of wounding them without retrieval from as close as 3yds to as far as 35 yds.

Longest was 52. Maybe a half dozen between 30-35. A few inside 10 and a few between 20-30. By far the overwhelming majority have been between 10-20. I try to setup every climb possible for a 15-18 yard shot. Cant recall a single wounding shot over 20, lethal or non-lethal. There have been a few mostly non lethal hits in the 10-20 range, mostly front leg below the chest. That I can think of right now I have hit 5 in the body that were not recovered and one of those showed back up on camera a few days later following a doe and then again the following year.

Closest shot....1 yard....straight down shot....furthest is 40.....furthest I'd shoot is a touch over 40....this is with a compound

Too close is bad....I usually want to be at least 10 yards away....I like 10 to 25 yards.

I'll share this here. Upcoming editor's opinion column I wrote for a summer issue of the magazine I write for:

Why You Shouldn’t Shoot Past 20 Yards in 2024

As a kid, I read articles like this one all the time. The “speed kills” trend was just beginning, and fast bows, light arrows, and mechanicals were all the Rage®. But a lot of the Old Guard were adamant that conventional wisdom still held. Bowhunting was a close-range game, and goobers who shot at deer past traditional distances with their laser rangefinders and adjustable sights were at best misled by snazzy advertising.

They were, and still are, mostly correct.

Let’s do some light number crunching. With the current trend back towards heavier hunting arrows in the 500-600 grain range, most bows are clocking around 75-80% of their advertised IBO speeds. That means that even if you’re shooting a “hot” 350 fps bow, your real world speed is around 270-280 fps. Many hunters with shorter and lighter draw lengths and weights are shooting less.

Sound travels at around 1,100 fps. The reaction speed of a deer has been clocked at around 1/10th of a second. A deer in get-out-of-dodge mode can move between 8 fps (in a free fall) and 50 fps (assuming it’s using muscle tension to twist or leap).

With those figures, let’s see what happens with a 25 yard shot.

At 280 fps, an arrow will arrive at a deer in 0.26 seconds. The sound of the shot, by comparison, reaches the deer in 0.06 seconds, or when the arrow has traveled roughly 17 feet. The deer has 0.2 seconds left to react and move now. Reaction speed takes 0.1 second. At this point, the arrow is still 30 feet from the deer, and the ball is firmly in its court.

The deer may not move at all, in which case the arrow will probably find its mark. But if it relaxes its front legs and drops its chest to gather energy for its first burst of speed, your arrow will land 9 inches high. As shocking as that may sound, if you’ve shot at enough deer, you’ve had an unexplained miss or bad hit. There’s your excuse.

Arrows will never be supersonic bullets coming out of centerfire rifles, and hunters will always have to account for a deer’s reaction speed. You can definitely make shots beyond 20 yards, and I have. But when you pull the trigger on your bow release on a longer shot, there is a shocking amount of time where things are out of your hands and in the deer’s.

“So what?” you may say. “You miss all of the shots you don’t take!” True, but the problem is that not all misses are clean. Poor shots don’t just translate to suffering for the deer, but inconvenience for you. A smelly, gut-shot deer waiting for me after a long, late night trailing session is not my idea of a fun weekend.

Remember, the closer you keep your shots this season, the less you’re leaving the outcome of the shot up to the deer.

Feel free to check my math, but it matches up fairly well with other breakdowns I've read. I based the 280fps feed based on forum member feedback on a recent thread I created.

I'll share this here. Upcoming editor's opinion column I wrote for a summer issue of the magazine I write for:

Why You Shouldn’t Shoot Past 20 Yards in 2024

As a kid, I read articles like this one all the time. The “speed kills” trend was just beginning, and fast bows, light arrows, and mechanicals were all the Rage®. But a lot of the Old Guard were adamant that conventional wisdom still held. Bowhunting was a close-range game, and goobers who shot at deer past traditional distances with their laser rangefinders and adjustable sights were at best misled by snazzy advertising.

They were, and still are, mostly correct.

Let’s do some light number crunching. With the current trend back towards heavier hunting arrows in the 500-600 grain range, most bows are clocking around 75-80% of their advertised IBO speeds. That means that even if you’re shooting a “hot” 350 fps bow, your real world speed is around 270-280 fps. Many hunters with shorter and lighter draw lengths and weights are shooting less.

Sound travels at around 1,100 fps. The reaction speed of a deer has been clocked at around 1/10th of a second. A deer in get-out-of-dodge mode can move between 8 fps (in a free fall) and 50 fps (assuming it’s using muscle tension to twist or leap).

With those figures, let’s see what happens with a 25 yard shot.

At 280 fps, an arrow will arrive at a deer in 0.26 seconds. The sound of the shot, by comparison, reaches the deer in 0.06 seconds, or when the arrow has traveled roughly 17 feet. The deer has 0.2 seconds left to react and move now. Reaction speed takes 0.1 second. At this point, the arrow is still 30 feet from the deer, and the ball is firmly in its court.

The deer may not move at all, in which case the arrow will probably find its mark. But if it relaxes its front legs and drops its chest to gather energy for its first burst of speed, your arrow will land 9 inches high. As shocking as that may sound, if you’ve shot at enough deer, you’ve had an unexplained miss or bad hit. There’s your excuse.

Arrows will never be supersonic bullets coming out of centerfire rifles, and hunters will always have to account for a deer’s reaction speed. You can definitely make shots beyond 20 yards, and I have. But when you pull the trigger on your bow release on a longer shot, there is a shocking amount of time where things are out of your hands and in the deer’s.

“So what?” you may say. “You miss all of the shots you don’t take!” True, but the problem is that not all misses are clean. Poor shots don’t just translate to suffering for the deer, but inconvenience for you. A smelly, gut-shot deer waiting for me after a long, late night trailing session is not my idea of a fun weekend.

Remember, the closer you keep your shots this season, the less you’re leaving the outcome of the shot up to the deer.

Feel free to check my math, but it matches up fairly well with other breakdowns I've read. I based the 280fps feed based on forum member feedback on a recent thread I created.

25 or 30 yards is the worst distance for a deer reaction because they are close enough to be jarred by the sound more but far enough away to move quite a bit before impact

as far as what you wrote, it all comes down to your ability to read the situation

a deer that is not especially alert and in denser cover reacts much, much less

folks show counter examples of deer feeding in a field reacting to the shot, but the fact they are in the open negates one of my points

Back