• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1” Tubular webbing vs 1/4” Amsteel Blue bridge? What are you using and why?

eyedoc

Ok guys? Need to lighten up my Kestral saddle. What are the pros and cons of the Amsteel vs 1” tubular webbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great question. I’m interested in this exact topic. I have these two options ready to try, but have yet to discard my predator rope bridge.

I added tubular webbing to my sit drag for a couple reasons. 1st, I had some already. 2nd, I was confident in tying a good knot with it and confident it was strong enough...not that amsteel isn't. I wanted to hunt opening day out of a saddle and I didn't have time to order amsteel. I'm looking forward to comparing amsteel to the 1"tubular webbing once my Mantis arrives. After using the tubular webbing, I do like the fact that it is wide and is sort of comfortable to lean your arms/head on.

I like tubular webbing. I’ve tried amsteel only during practice and haven’t ruled it out but the webbing seems to be smoother and more controlled. With the amsteel I tried to meet the burys so it was a nice transition -or rather no transition at all. This was on a 26” length bridge, it’s hard to make an amsteel bridge any shorter. It was hard to overlay the burys perfect which resulted in a little variation in diameter “-very little, but my ocd found it bothersome and because of the lack of consistency in feel while it ran over the carabiner, I elected to go back to webbing. I’m curious how the mantis bridge will “flow”, even more curious about the 30” length. I do believe a longer bridge will lend to a smoother transition of the bury. Anyhow, I’ve played with varying bridge lengths and I like them short, therefore I like my short bridge made of webbing.

I have the tubular webbing on my sit drag. I really like how easy it was to tie and I like how it slides through the Carabiner with just a little bit of a catch. if I need to adjust my Bridge length it is as easy as untying and re tying.About the only downside is I have not figured out a way to attach a back band to the webbing. I did a four hour sit this morning and it was not until the very end of it that I was thinking that I even needed back support.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
8b7ec2c88d35a0cec3fd585e3cd4d43b.jpg

I have the tubular webbing on my sit drag. I really like how easy it was to tie and I like how it slides through the Carabiner with just a little bit of a catch. if I need to adjust my Bridge length it is as easy as untying and re tying.About the only downside is I have not figured out a way to attach a back band to the webbing. I did a four hour sit this morning and it was not until the very end of it that I was thinking that I even needed back support.

Looks pretty sweet! What kind of knot did you use? And is it tied directly to your bridge loops on both sides?

Thank you for all the replies! That is why this site is so great! Appreciate it. Looks like I will try the 1” webbing before the Amsteel blue.

webbing bridge here on my kestrel and put amsteel on my sit drag which is just a back up saddle when I'm letting someone else use the kestrel . Both work well but water knots make webbing so easy to get the length exactly how you want it - or change it later if that's what you want to do. Plus its cheaper - both pack tiny weigh nothing and eliminate the bulk from the stock ropes with knots

Clip your backsupport to the same carabiner as your bridge. The video of Bongo climbing at saddlepalooza demonstrates this with a cool application of a camjam.

Back