• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1 sticking setups

jgleas114

SH Member
Still not please with my climbing method and considering EVERYTHING.

What’s everyone running for their one sticking setup?

Add pictures if you got em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18'' stick with cam cleat which i think is important vs the versa button or any other rope attachment method. 2 step amsteel aider. angled scout top step platform
35' rappel line with quick link. schwabisch hitch above an ATC device and auto block below.
30' 3/16 pull rope that i also use to pull my rappel line with (dont like 550 cord and dynaglide)

one stick.jpg

Last edited:
Mines pretty standard. 16" tube, EWO UP, cam cleat w/ full bury amsteel, ewo double step with a custom 15" 3 step aider that the owner of tx5 made and I happened to buy used. 40' rescuetech w/madrock, Dynaglide loop in end for pulling bow up, Dynaglide for pull down..

I have a stock EWO UP with the stock double step bottom, 15" with a two step aider. My go-to this year has been my modded Muddy Pro with the EWO LP upper and the ULS lower with a three step Ultimaider. This is a bit heavier and a little clunky but its a tank in the tree and I like its stability. Ideally, I want to get a EWO 15" stick and put the platforms on that for next season. @phatkaw really likes the OOAL flat scout for his top platform on his EWO one stick. I may try this someday as well.EWO Ultimate One Stick 21.jpg

Attachments

• UP-ULS Muddy Mod 2022.jpg
    UP-ULS Muddy Mod 2022.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
API Hunt'n Stick modified with the UP platform on top and a matching EWO standoff on the bottom. Stock button and cam strap for me, no cam cleat necessary. 35' of 10mm rope and an 8mm oval quick link. Ropeman1 and prusik backup for climbing/hunting. ATC and prusik brake for rappelling.

I lash the stick to my pack along with whatever outer layer I'm taking. Compact and 10x lighter than what I used to do in my climber days... Carrying the outer layer and putting it on at height helps keep me from getting too sweaty while walking and climbing.

Screenshot_20221114-112004.png

@phatkaw really likes the OOAL flat scout for his top platform on his EWO one stick.

Yep, the flat Scout is my favorite by far! I have had a bunch of different one-sticks and the Scout gives me more USABLE places to put my feet for working around the tree than everything I tried soo far.

The stick I kept out of all the ones I have had is actually a Muddy Pro cut down to about 18" with EWO standoffs and bottom step.

I've had a bunch of different aiders as well and I like a 2 stepper at 15". I only ever needed a third step on the aider for getting up on the stick from the ground. Was never really used while climbing...

I'm a huge fan of adding additional steps to any of my platforms and I keep 4 Ameristeps nestled in my Scout (thanks for the idea @Razorbak66 !) and almost always take the extra minute or so to put them around the tree.

Screenshot_20220813-211406_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220820-143915_Gallery.jpg
Another thing I've done I cut the square tube flush on top with the platform and on the bottom right under the step.
What that does is let me stand my stick up either way and it doesn't tip over.it doesn't sound like too big of a deal but it's really convenient!

Attachments

• 29AF2C73-D0CF-4CA8-AC4D-AC09D51E065A.png
    29AF2C73-D0CF-4CA8-AC4D-AC09D51E065A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 7469AC8A-70DA-4EFF-A085-0C964CBAE40F.png
    7469AC8A-70DA-4EFF-A085-0C964CBAE40F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • A0BD2ED6-E476-45AA-9058-46F321B9BD0B.png
    A0BD2ED6-E476-45AA-9058-46F321B9BD0B.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 14C4BCAD-6B19-4669-9B0C-3BDF5DBCB172.png
    14C4BCAD-6B19-4669-9B0C-3BDF5DBCB172.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 111DAC1F-94DB-4E72-8447-5F3EBC7E6242.png
    111DAC1F-94DB-4E72-8447-5F3EBC7E6242.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Yep, the flat Scout is my favorite by far! I have had a bunch of different one-sticks and the Scout gives me more USABLE places to put my feet for working around the tree than everything I tried soo far.

The stick I kept out of all the ones I have had is actually a Muddy Pro cut down to about 18" with EWO standoffs and bottom step.

I've had a bunch of different aiders as well and I like a 2 stepper at 15". I only ever needed a third step on the aider for getting up on the stick from the ground. Was never really used while climbing...

I'm a huge fan of adding additional steps to any of my platforms and I keep 4 Ameristeps nestled in my Scout (thanks for the idea @Razorbak66 !) and almost always take the extra minute or so to put them around the tree.

View attachment 75986View attachment 75987
Another thing I've done I cut the square tube flush on top with the platform and on the bottom right under the step.
What that does is let me stand my stick up either way and it doesn't tip over.it doesn't sound like too big of a deal but it's really convenient!
Do you cam buckle the extra steps ?

I’m finding that after using one with the Pursuit platform they really hold the tightest.

This packs beautifully with a JX3. Super light. Climbs great, and is plenty of real estate for feet to stand and lean, or push off to rotate around tree. No additional steps needed.
c1fb063b67483180c693b7d1a251b82b.jpg
68e4f16d74933fa1b5408a21ba0c6831.jpg
e3745b6ce29e7328331db05b2d8e2762.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

^^^ That thing looks sweet!!!

I had an FXD Shikar with an angled Monarch that was ok.
I haven't gotten my hands (or feet) on a flat Monarch yet. :disrelieved:

I love the aiders that come on OOAL sticks!

Unable to get pics right now. I love my ooal monarch on a frankensteined stick i put together for a quick few hour hunt. For longer hunts I'll one stick with ooal mini fixed shikar and set a platform.

I have been looking around the interwebs for some type of list of all the items I need and I have not been successful. I did just purchase a Sh1kar one stick yesterday evening. Do yall know of an existing list?

I will have to upload pics later, but I am using a Hawk mini with the HSP platform and Bayou Bow Medic angled extensions attached, Harken cam cleat with accessory rope from EWO, a big gear tie as a grab handle and a 2 step amsteel aider.

People complain about the hawk sticks and platform but i have put that thing through the ringer the last 2 seasons with no issues and it is a much cheaper set up than most one-sticks.

I have been looking around the interwebs for some type of list of all the items I need and I have not been successful. I did just purchase a Sh1kar one stick yesterday evening. Do yall know of an existing list?

The problem you're going to run into is everyone one sticks a different way so the ''needs'' are going to vary as far as a list. Heres what i would say is bare minimum:

- a stick obviously, with an aider (2-3 step aider)
-tether (some people are hunting off their rappel which is 30-40', some people are hunting off a standard tether and pulling out a separate rappel line later)
-quicklink (not a carabiner)
-cord to pull tether\rappel line down with
-rappel device\method (some will argue this isnt necessary to start because you could technically one stick back down but i do not and cannot recommend that)
-linesmans belt (going to catch crap for this one, but imo its needed, especially if you not comfortable yet)

thats the essentials to actually climb with that method. There's a ton more stuff we could break down but its all going to be preference.

What do you NEED? A stick, a tether, and a lineman rope. Everything else is a luxury. You can one-stick down the same way you one-stick up. I did it for two years before I started rappelling. Nobody likes to do it though because rappelling requires less physical effort and it's fun.

Everyone seems to have over-complicated this method in the last two years. You don't NEED fancy sticks, and cam cleats, and quick links, and overpriced out-of-stock ascenders... But they can make things easier.

I always go back to this video, posted 9 years ago. So simple, so quick, so quiet. Although I would have liked to see him use his lineman rope when advancing his tether.

What do you NEED? A stick, a tether, and a lineman rope. Everything else is a luxury. You can one-stick down the same way you one-stick up. I did it for two years before I started rappelling. Nobody likes to do it though because rappelling requires less physical effort and it's fun.

Everyone seems to have over-complicated this method in the last two years. You don't NEED fancy sticks, and cam cleats, and quick links, and overpriced out-of-stock ascenders... But they can make things easier.

I always go back to this video, posted 9 years ago. So simple, so quick, so quiet. Although I would have liked to see him use his lineman rope when advancing his tether.

I could easily do it with my current set up. Hawk helium 3 step and a predator platform. Interesting, this make a lot more sense. The additional equipment (ropes, descenders, etc) is mainly for on the way down.

1668531514382.png

I could easily do it with my current set up. Hawk helium 3 step and a predator platform. Interesting, this make a lot more sense. The additional equipment (ropes, descenders, etc) is mainly for on the way down.

View attachment 76018

I would cut that full size Hawk down and make it a fun size Hawk. Add a two step aider and you have something that will let you climb quickly and efficiently, but still pack down very small:

Screenshot_20221115-120919-588.png

Once you get to your desired height, set your predator platform and hunt.

EWO climbing stick, UP platform for top step and just regular bottom step. Backwoods aider sewn to bottom step. Love this stick, so solid.
D35DCAF9-45DC-4FEF-9001-F91996DDF342.pngD35DCAF9-45DC-4FEF-9001-F91996DDF342.png

Back