• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1 vs 2 panel saddle: first season with a saddle

KRATOCT

New to the forum and new to saddle hunting. Really want to gravitate to a more mobile set up this year and I’m trying out a saddle as one of those avenues. Tethrd has been the most noticed brand by me from what I assume has been good marketing, but it appears that their products look pretty good too.
In search of a saddle to try out this year, I’ve been closely comparing the Tethrd Phantom to the soon to be released Tethrd ESS. I’ve done enough reading and watching videos on these to know all of the differences so I’m not looking for a list of those. I’m just wondering how these differences may effect how I prefer one to the other. I realize it all comes down to personal preference but with very little experience in a saddle, I’m looking to hear your opinions on which one you guys prefer.
I’m about 5’10” and just shy of 200lbs so not exactly a skinny guy in case that plays into the equation much knowing these are “one size fits all”. I am also open to other Brands and/or models to consider. Have looked at very few others but here in the last hour noticed the Latitude Method, Cruze XC and Treehopper Recon saddles and they sure caught my eye. Haven't watched any videos to highlight the features of them yet. May have to expand my research beyond Tethrd, but also need something sooner than later to prepare before opener.
Thanks

Attachments

• BC4351F3-416B-4C0D-A087-26833EACE543.jpeg
    BC4351F3-416B-4C0D-A087-26833EACE543.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 5D2BDEAB-B45D-4D4E-8634-24605D5B8791.jpeg
    5D2BDEAB-B45D-4D4E-8634-24605D5B8791.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 64
  • 1FAC18C7-877A-4F75-AFCE-BD621964C2F5.jpeg
    1FAC18C7-877A-4F75-AFCE-BD621964C2F5.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 7B0E1261-2066-4945-BB81-134B4C1F3277.jpeg
    7B0E1261-2066-4945-BB81-134B4C1F3277.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 68
  • B00CF45F-B2A0-436D-9AC5-190938EA1F55.jpeg
    B00CF45F-B2A0-436D-9AC5-190938EA1F55.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 117A6614-4EEB-4A46-9BD9-FAB1DEA16987.jpeg
    117A6614-4EEB-4A46-9BD9-FAB1DEA16987.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 64
If comfort is your aim, skip the one panels and go straight to the 2. As a first time saddle hunter it may take you a little bit more time to get use to but the reward on your hips and butt are worth it.

Recon Sling, built off the specs of the original Anderson sling. Made in the USA unlike tethrd. Comes in 3 sizes unlike the ESS that comes in one size fits all. Recon has been out long enough that people have been able to trial test it (the reviews are all great, people love em), and they’re only $150.

What more are you wanting?

The saddles you mentioned are all good but the EES is still an unknown.
Comfort. Opinions will vary on the saddles you mentioned
Cruzr XC for me
Cost. The recon wins and is well built and is comfortable but not as comfortable as the Cruzr XC for me

The latitude. Lots of cool features and may be equal in comfort to the others for some guys. I like the rope belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@KRATOCT - Welcome to the forum! I've hunted whitetails for decades, but this is my first year doing it in a saddle. I purchased the Tethrd Phantom, the Treehopper Recon, and the Cruzr XC. As a new saddle hunter, you can't go wrong with any of them, really. My recommendation is that if you want an all-around great saddle with zero "fiddle-factor", get the Tethrd Phantom. You can easily mount pouches on the Molle loops to store the rest of your saddle system, and you can walk in with it on and it won't fall down.

Alternatively, if you're willing to contend with some fiddle factor, the Treehopper Recon an excellent 2-panel saddle. The Recon offers the Pros of: Top quality; Superior value; Comfort of a sling-style saddle; Adjustability and versatility of a 2-panel design. The Cons are: Less optimal if you're mounting pouches; Less optimal to walk to your hunting tree wearing it. There's a certain amount of fiddle factor until you have used it for a while - walking in, climbing with it, and settling into your tree - especially for a new saddle hunter.

My Cruzr XC hasn't arrived yet, so I can't comment from personal experience about that one yet. @Ontariofarmer tells me the fiddle factor is less than with the Recon, and that the comfort is about as good as it gets. If you haven't already done so, you should checkout @MADhunts reviews of saddles. His channel is "MADHUNTS Adventures" on YouTube.

The best way to make up your mind is to give the saddles you're considering a try. Where are you located? Another forum participant might be nearby and willing to let you try a test hang in their saddle(s) before you buy.

I will slightly disagree that the Recon is less optimal for walking in. Its amazingly comfortable for sitting, leaning, AND walking. I actually was walking around my house one day looking for that "damn" Recon that I JUST had in my hands...then I realized that I was still wearing it! Lol.

The Recon does carry pouch weight better if you flip the plates (as I demonstrated in my video). And if you employ the lineman rope as suspenders, then you could carry the weight of bricks in the thing.

The price is right with a Recon, no wait time for one, made in the USA, and Mark is widely regarded as being top notch for customer service. No hassle returns, too.

Long time hunter first year in a saddle And I’m sporting a H2 Slingshot and find it extremely comfortable. It’s also affordable and if you get the kit it comes with 2 lineman’s/tethers and 4 carabiners for 250...I have zero desire to try any other saddle

I started with a cheap sit drag. Went to a Mantis, made my own two panel saddle like the ESS and then an H2. The H2 is the best out of all of them. I know they have a long wait time now but believe me it’s worth it. I’m 6’ 200 lbs.

I also have the H2. It is what everyone has said so far, very comfortable walking in, sitting and leaning. I have no need for another saddle except for the 2 is 1, 1 is none thing, and of course to try other things. But you will not go wrong with the H2 for sure.

I do want to try a 2 piece saddle sometime. It will be the recon for sure because I can’t keep justifying another several hundred on the next piece of hunting gear. Starting to feel like an addiction. I guess it kind of is for some of us! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The price is right with a Recon, no wait time for one, made in the USA, and Mark is widely regarded as being top notch for customer service. No hassle returns, too.
X2 - Some companies have decent customer service to secure the sale, but after the sale ... not so much. In my experience dealing with Mark Cama (owner of Treehopper), his customer service after the sale goes above and beyond expectations!

@KRATOCT - So there you have it ... the consensus is >>>> Not a single saddle scratches everybody's itch - but all of the ones mentioned are excellent and have their fans! Only way to know for sure is to try them! Best way to do that is to get yourself to a saddle hunter meetup or find a local saddle hunter who'll meet you 1:1 and let you try a test hang in his saddle.

I will slightly disagree that the Recon is less optimal for walking in. Its amazingly comfortable for sitting, leaning, AND walking. I actually was walking around my house one day looking for that "damn" Recon that I JUST had in my hands...then I realized that I was still wearing it! Lol.

The Recon does carry pouch weight better if you flip the plates (as I demonstrated in my video). And if you employ the lineman rope as suspenders, then you could carry the weight of bricks in the thing.

The recon is great but for carrying stuff some of the innovations on the latitude make carrying stuff super.
I still prefer the recon for price and comfort over the latitude . But others may disagree about comfort.
The Cruzr XC is really the most comfortable conventional saddle and most who have tried it would agree. Why? It is the biggest saddle and is like a hammock. Some guys might not like that hammock feel for walking. Doesn’t bother me.
The Cruzr XC has the least fiddle factor to make it comfortable. You don’t have to have the bridge or tether adjustments just right for it to be comfortable. For a new hunter I would recommend it as the saddle you are most likely to be satisfied with.
The H2 is comfortable for me but I know a few guys who did not like it.
The Tx5 is a custom saddle made for me

I really hate to say negative things about any of these saddles because they really are all good. The Aerohunter products too.

And of course the lazy boy JX3 is the most comfortable but some guys think it is too restrictive. Not me. It is a pack. It is easy on my knees and it is never uncomfortable. It makes a great turkey seat and ground chair too.

I have three saddles this fall. The Jx 3 and the Tx5 and the Cruzr XC. I sold my recon but would have used it if my nephew did not need it. I may order another recon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
X2 - Some companies have decent customer service to secure the sale, but after the sale ... not so much. In my experience dealing with Mark Cama (owner of Treehopper), his customer service after the sale goes above and beyond expectations!

True, one of the very best to deal with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back