• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

10-11-20 youth season stepson earned his biggest buck

turkeyhunter91

First I have to say we wasnt using a saddle but I'm to proud of my stepsons to not share. This weekend was the only hunts this season I haven't used my saddle. This season started out with nothing on camera that was even close to shooting. I have a farm that I have had luck on before but I had never taken him there before. I told him this farm is all or nothing and that's 1 reason I never took him there because it can be discouraging going and not seeing anything multiple times. He said he wanted to try it though so I hung some stands in areas on it I had hunted and put up some cans. There was a decent little 10 that started showing up right at dark a couple evenings a week and he said it was big enough and he would like to hunt it. Connor has hunted pretty much every day this season that he has been able to.we really haven't been seeing much and thenlast few weeks the cams was showing all of the bucks at night. I put a blind out last week in the edge of the field that is between the 2 spot we have been bow hunting. We slipped in yesterday evening and like things have been going we didnt see anything. Last night he said I dont know what I'm doing wrong cause were not seeing anything. I told him connor your not doing anything wrong like I told you when we started hunting this farm it's all or nothing with it. Well this evening I said a prayer hoping we could see some deer because he really needed it. As we was coming down the fence row I thought I could see a deer in the tall grass but wasnt sure. Finally I had convinced myself it wasnt and we dropped over the hill and headed towards the blind. We was about 10yards from the blind when a doe stepped up on top about 90 yards. With nowhere to go they seen us and her and the fawn bounded over the hill. We set there all evening and had seen anything else and I was wondering if it wasnt gonna be another uneventful evening so connor took him a little nap. At 6:28 I spotted a doe in the tall grass and told connor. We was watching them feed around and I kept looking around hoping something else would come out. A little before 7 I look and where the doe had came out I see a deer and I thought is that what it look looks like, when I looked through my rangefinder I could see it was his rack and he was a shooter. So connor got ahold of the rifle and got him in the scope. When he got down on the hill connor said I have him in the scope can I shoot? It was about 100 yards and I said go ahead and shoot, he shot and the buck jumped straight up and I thought he was hit hard. He ran about 40 yards and I told him to shoot him again but this time he missed. While he was reloading the deer went to swaying and hit the ground. Connor was shaking like a leaf and all tore up, saying I just killed a hoss. I wasnt sure how big he was but I knew he was a nice 1. It's a 12 pt and his biggest buck ever, needless to say were going to see the taxidermist haha. The pics really dont do him justice, connor ask would you have shot it? I told him I would love to kill his twin this year. We took it to the taxidermist ton and he grossed 144 6/8 and was at least 5.5 and he very well could be 6.5. I told connor he may never kill another main frame 8 like that again.
20201011_190646_copy_756x1008.jpg20201011_234646_copy_519x494.jpg20201011_190659_copy_756x1008.jpg20201012_102644_copy_756x1008.jpg

Tell Conner congrats for us. Great job getting him out there.

Congrars Conner and Dad. Very nice buck and quality time hunting.

Back