• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

$100 Amazon Gift Card to Burn Advice!!

Just_Hangin_N_GA

SH Member
I just received a $100 Amazon gift card and I need some advice on what Archery/hunting/hammock equipment I should purchase. I compound hunt out of a saddle and sleep in a double nest emo with a scrap piece of memory foam as my liner and a cheap sleeping bag... all in Georgia for now. I also just picked up a Sage with 25lb limbs to try my hand at traditional shooting. I don't have any bow tuning equipment at all, no compass, no backup release for compound bow. My head is spinning on all the possible items to purchase. What are some of the essentials that you would definitely recommend to make hunting/camping life safer or more enjoyable? I told my wife last year I wouldn't spend any money on hunting stuff for a while... but this doesn't count, does it?
Thanks

If you don't have a compass, definitely plan on getting a decent one that has a clear body, rotating bezel, "shed" to put the needle in (term?), adjustable declination, and a mirror/sight.

That way you'll be one and done and your compass won't limit your orienteering.

Also, I'd get a UTM grid tool (allow you to plot your position on a usgs topo quad). These are cheap though.

Last edited:
If you don't have a compass, definitely plan on getting a decent one that has a clear body, rotating bezel, "shed" to put the needle in (term?), adjustment declination, and a mirror/sight.

That way you'll be one and done and your compass won't limit your orienteering.

Also, I'd get a UTM grid tool (allow you to plot your position on a usgs topo quad). These are cheap though.

I would need some training on this thing. I never camped or did Boy Scouts growing up... guess I better learn. I do like the compass idea.

Compass would be first on my list as well. How is the rest of your camp setup as far as cooking, water, etc? An under quilt might be a good addition. An extras power core for recharging stuff would be another option.

Due to the compounding issues of money spending that come from archery and saddle hunting. I suggest you buy her something with it so as to allow your self more wiggle room to purchase something else later for more, or save it to buy her something in the fall to buy her when you want another day or 2 to hunt.
You can spend $100 on the classifieds here to get stuff at a discount price..

Due to the compounding issues of money spending that come from archery and saddle hunting. I suggest you buy her something with it so as to allow your self more wiggle room to purchase something else later for more, or save it to buy her something in the fall to buy her when you want another day or 2 to hunt.

darth vader of 3d saddle hunting chess right here

Compass would be first on my list as well. How is the rest of your camp setup as far as cooking, water, etc? An under quilt might be a good addition. An extras power core for recharging stuff would be another option.
Camping set-up is pretty primitive. I rely on a camp fire or charcoal on the ground with some bricks I use and an old grill grate for heating my frozen food made the weekend before. I don't have an under quilt either but tacky as it is the 1 1/2" thick memory foam keeps me pretty warm on the 30 degree nights but I may just not know any better.

Sounds like wise advice from an experienced husband/hunter. I actually have it pretty good. My wife knows I gave up hunting for a while as kids did the travel ball stuff all over the country. Now that we are empty nesters she supports my return to the hunting addiction....but then again I only hunt deer for now and an occasional hog.
Thanks for the advice but I am going to ignore it this time

Camping set-up is pretty primitive. I rely on a camp fire or charcoal on the ground with some bricks I use and an old grill grate for heating my frozen food made the weekend before. I don't have an under quilt either but tacky as it is the 1 1/2" thick memory foam keeps me pretty warm on the 30 degree nights but I may just not know any better.
Alcohol stove works well if going light weight . Got to give the underquilt a try also. Good luck

Do you have basic sewing skills or a cooperative wife?

I made my own underquilt, but I don’t remember exactly how much $ I have in it. I use it on the gathered end hammock I also made (dirt cheap). I also have a double layer hammock that I use an inflatable pad in. Both are fine, but the UQ is preferred, it’s like sleeping in a toaster, lol.

Find a cheap synthetic square bag and simply add a channel to each side to attach it to your hammock.

Last edited:
Do you have basic sewing skills or a cooperative wife?

I made my own underquilt, but I don’t remember exactly how much $ I have in it. I use it on the fathered end hammock I also made (dirt cheap). I also have a double layer hammock that I use an inflatable pad in. Both are fine, but the UQ is preferred, it’s like sleeping in a toaster, lol.

Find a cheap synthetic square bag and simply add a channel to each side to attach it to your hammock.
If you can sew that would be awesome. Check out hammock forums . Shug Emery hammock channel .

Sounds like wise advice from an experienced husband/hunter. I actually have it pretty good. My wife knows I gave up hunting for a while as kids did the travel ball stuff all over the country. Now that we are empty nesters she supports my return to the hunting addiction....but then again I only hunt deer for now and an occasional hog.
Thanks for the advice but I am going to ignore it this time
Wait.... Your an empty nester, and she supports your return addiction???

Wait.... Your an empty nester, and she supports your return addiction???
Well only for deer hunting which with work I only get a couple weeks at most... but yes she supports it. It gives her time to visit her aging father and family.
We have been sweethearts since 8th grade and married now for 33 years ... God has truly blessed me!!

I got the One Tigris underquilt from Amazon and have had no complaints. Combined with a good sleeping bag and some well placed hand warmers and I was out this year well below freezing. And would have been nice and toasty if I had just splurged for the delux hammock with the attached bathroom suite.

I actually like the memory foam idea for truck camping setups but has utility besides the hammock. If primarily truck camping, you prolly dont have much need for water filtration either. A jetboil or similar stove like was mentioned is really handy. I am a big fan of a good rechargeable headlight. A good hatchet would be nice too. I have one just not a good one lol. As far as underquilts, there are lots of choices at a variety of price points. Biggest consideration if you arent backpacking in is prolly the temps you plan to use it in.

Back