• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

14 year old Lauren Nowak's Workshop testimonial story

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
This has been my first year of hunting and it’s been a pretty great season so far. My Dad Greg and I have been practicing and scouting a lot before the season started and this past summer he took me to one of John Eberhart’s workshops in Michigan. My Dad has John’s books and DVD’s and really likes his methods for scent control, scouting, setting up in the right tree, and the use of tree saddles. I met a lot of great guys who seemed like experienced and serious hunters and they were excited that more and more young girls are getting into the sport. I learned a lot that weekend and had an awesome time.

A few months later I shot my first deer, an eight point buck. My Dad was stunned that I shot the buck he was after, but was very proud and happy for me.

We started hunting our all-important pre-rut locations on Wednesday, November 1st and we sat in the rain for the afternoon hunt and I saw a lot of chasing. We came back on Friday for an all-day hunt and again it was raining. We settled into our respective trees an hour before daylight and the morning action didn’t seem as intense as it was on Wednesday afternoon.

I wanted to move in closer to the primary scrape destination location and at 10:45 we got down and both moved in closer. I was nicely tucked up into the crotch of a tree approximately 22 feet off the ground and at 2:30 the chasing began again as an immature buck was chasing a doe through the area which woke me from my nap in the tree saddle. I waited to see if a bigger buck was going to join the action. Sure enough there he came down the same trail the doe had blazed running from the smaller 6 point a few moments before.

Losing interest in the commotion he stopped 17 yards from my tree and at this point he was directly down wind and thanks to my ScentLok Wild Heart Savanna suit which was wore under my washed in scent free detergent rainsuit, and my ScentLok Vigilante headcover he didn’t have a clue. Because I was using a saddle I was able to twist my body around to make the difficult shot to my left (I’m left handed), but it’s a shot I practiced during the summer after attending John’s workshop and having him mention that you need to practice every possible shot position.

I wasn’t sure if it was a good shot until I saw him bed down and try to get up, stumbling around as he did. I texted Dad and told him what had happened and he told me to keep an eye on him and wait about a half an hour until he came over.

I stayed in my saddle and pointed to the area the buck was in, and Dad followed the bright red blood trail to the expired 120 inch 3 year old 8 point. I was really excited but I think dad was more excited than me.

My big brother said, “When you shook John Eberhart’s hand and the magic touch passed on to you” Thanks John for the awesome workshop and for the magic touch... LOL

Later that week my dad was hunting on public land and had 2 mature does and their fawns come in from upwind and both does visually picked him in the tree. Dad intently watched as both does circled around him to the downwind side while keeping their eyes focused on him. Once directly downwind they tried to wind him and couldn’t and after several minutes flicked their tails to call the fawns over and casually moved off. Dad was already a firm believer is ScentLok and that incident was just another deal sealer.

Lauren Nowak – 14 years old from New York

6. Lauren Nowak - buck.jpg Lauren Nowak in Aero Hunter - 316KB.JPG

This has been my first year of hunting and it’s been a pretty great season so far. My Dad Greg and I have been practicing and scouting a lot before the season started and this past summer he took me to one of John Eberhart’s workshops in Michigan. My Dad has John’s books and DVD’s and really likes his methods for scent control, scouting, setting up in the right tree, and the use of tree saddles. I met a lot of great guys who seemed like experienced and serious hunters and they were excited that more and more young girls are getting into the sport. I learned a lot that weekend and had an awesome time.

A few months later I shot my first deer, an eight point buck. My Dad was stunned that I shot the buck he was after, but was very proud and happy for me.

We started hunting our all-important pre-rut locations on Wednesday, November 1st and we sat in the rain for the afternoon hunt and I saw a lot of chasing. We came back on Friday for an all-day hunt and again it was raining. We settled into our respective trees an hour before daylight and the morning action didn’t seem as intense as it was on Wednesday afternoon.

I wanted to move in closer to the primary scrape destination location and at 10:45 we got down and both moved in closer. I was nicely tucked up into the crotch of a tree approximately 22 feet off the ground and at 2:30 the chasing began again as an immature buck was chasing a doe through the area which woke me from my nap in the tree saddle. I waited to see if a bigger buck was going to join the action. Sure enough there he came down the same trail the doe had blazed running from the smaller 6 point a few moments before.

Losing interest in the commotion he stopped 17 yards from my tree and at this point he was directly down wind and thanks to my ScentLok Wild Heart Savanna suit which was wore under my washed in scent free detergent rainsuit, and my ScentLok Vigilante headcover he didn’t have a clue. Because I was using a saddle I was able to twist my body around to make the difficult shot to my left (I’m left handed), but it’s a shot I practiced during the summer after attending John’s workshop and having him mention that you need to practice every possible shot position.

I wasn’t sure if it was a good shot until I saw him bed down and try to get up, stumbling around as he did. I texted Dad and told him what had happened and he told me to keep an eye on him and wait about a half an hour until he came over.

I stayed in my saddle and pointed to the area the buck was in, and Dad followed the bright red blood trail to the expired 120 inch 3 year old 8 point. I was really excited but I think dad was more excited than me.

My big brother said, “When you shook John Eberhart’s hand and the magic touch passed on to you” Thanks John for the awesome workshop and for the magic touch... LOL

Later that week my dad was hunting on public land and had 2 mature does and their fawns come in from upwind and both does visually picked him in the tree. Dad intently watched as both does circled around him to the downwind side while keeping their eyes focused on him. Once directly downwind they tried to wind him and couldn’t and after several minutes flicked their tails to call the fawns over and casually moved off. Dad was already a firm believer is ScentLok and that incident was just another deal sealer.

Lauren Nowak – 14 years old from New York

View attachment 3451 View attachment 3452
That's My Girl!

Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gerg

You absolutely should be very proud. You brought up a very nice and lovely young lady. And for her to WANT to sit all-day in the RAIN and then make the kill during midday, I can't begin to tell you how impressive that is. Many hunters give all day sits lip service, but rarely do it. I feel sorry for her future husband if he's a hunter because she is going to show him how it's done.

Back