• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1st mishap Saturday

tntrker

Well it happened. I've been up and down with my system in the yard a few times with no issues and packed it all in, except the weapon, to do an all day sit in the woods Saturday. I use 4 Muddy sticks with a 22" aider for the climb. Everything went great and I sat for about 5 hrs. I forgot to pack a lunch, so when it sounded like a bear was in the tree with me, I decided test was complete enough and I was satisfied. So down I go and collect the 1st stick down, 2nd stick down, 3rd stick **)&%#$!!! For whatever reason, the 3rd stick down, turned and became unusable. so, I'm standing on my aider trying to figure out how/what/where! I get tired and decided to hang the saddle back up to "rest" and figure things out...I found out, it's ALOT harder to set up a stick below you. I'm not sure how long all this took, but it felt like at least an hour because after the first few attempts and realizing this was not something easily done, the adrenaline kicked in. Then the stick ropes and lineman rope where all getting caught, tangled, on top of, a pretty impressive feat and probably funny or scary to watch from a distance. I finally inched my way down re-placing a stick just below the top step of another, remove it then place it same distance and so fourth. I was still using the lineman's rope and after putting the saddle up thinking things were ok, wound up having to put it back up a 3rd time, and used it until I stood on the last step, due to over exerting and needing to rest. When I finally got my feet on the last step and then to the ground, I was SPENT! I didn't have the energy to walk 15 yrds without having to stop and catch my breath. I had my camelbak, still with plenty of water thank God, but I was hot, soaked through with sweat, no energy and only about 500 yrds in the woods. When I finally made it back, I sat in the truck with the air on for a good 30 min before I felt like I had enough energy to turn the steering wheel to drive home, approx 10 miles. I'm in shape and have not experienced anything like that before. Must have just been the mixture of heat, confusion, frustration, adrenaline, exhaustion. I'm still not quite sure what happened to cause that stick to slip sideways on the tree, but it definitely screwed me coming down. Having the aider really saved me, I think, as with out it I would have only been able to move down a few inches at a time vs the few inches plus the aider. I've played that scene over and over but can't figure out why/how the step, that I had went up with no issue on, slipped and left me stranded.

Anyone else know a cause or have a plan when/if a stick becomes unusable? Might want to think ahead and have a plan.....

That stinks brother, glad you didn’t get hurt (physically lol) and I’m not sure as to why it kicked out but I will say I’m sure that after starting to rappel, I will never climb back down a tree again. Maybe something to look into. Or practice resetting sticks below you or one sticking like jtaylor mentioned. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

Sent from parts unknown

I’ve had a wild edge step kick out on me before. Rained on me and bark got soft while I was hanging. Must of not gotten it set as solid as I thought going up. It was #3 of 5 steps so I ended up using my steps I had pulled to get on down

Needless to say I’m rappelling down no matter what climbing method I use to go up.

Glad you are ok!!

Learning to climb and descend 1 stick is a nice skill set to have if you find yourself in that situation again.

Goes to show you when something goes wrong in the woods how quick even a fit person can wear themselves out. It's hard to slow yourself down, but in situations like that, it's so important. It's not only physically exhausting but mentally as well

For whatever reason, the 3rd stick down, turned and became unusable.

Anyone else know a cause or have a plan when/if a stick becomes unusable? Might want to think ahead and have a plan.....
Sounds like the stick wasn’t set great initially, it happens. Surprising w/ a muddy , we’re you using the stock cam cleat, should’ve been pretty tight. I run into it time to time w/versa straps. I will say when ever I get in a jam climbing up or down, just tether up! It’s way less physically & mentally taxing. You can hang without a good foothold if need be. Just leave it on & work it down as you climb.

Glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing. I think the silver lining is that this incident will keep you from getting complacent (and give others, including myself, food for thought). Complacency kills.

I have older (post recall, pre buyout muddy pros and haven’t had issue with them. Some people with the newer muddy pros are having issues with the cam cleat.

Anything out of the ordinary on your muddy pro?

Yea, Sounds like your stick was not properly set. What I mean is that all four points of contact on the standoffs must touch the tree. I have sometimes set the stick on the tree and due to the tree not being exactly round one leg of a stand off would not be touching the tree. Adjust the stick so that all for legs of the two standoffs are in contact with the tree.

Man, if it was your third stick from the top and you were only two sticks up, why not just unhook and jump? I've jumped off a lot of 10ft roofs.
Because I was still 3 sticks + aider up. I was transitioning from the 3th to the 2rd when the 2nd went haywire. I've done plenty of stupid stuff as well, as a kid and even young man. But at 52 yrs old, I try to limit repeating those past questionable experiences. At worst case I could have jumped but my goal was to get down, pack back out to the truck, unscathed..

Last edited:
Because I was still 3 sticks + aider up. I was transitioning from the 3th to the 2rd when the 2nd went haywire. I've done plenty of stupid stuff as well, as a kid and even young man. But at 52 yrs old, I try to limit repeating those past questionable experiences. At worst case I would have but my goal was to get down, pack back out to the truck, unscathed..
Gotcha. I thought you were just two sticks up. Missed the aider bit. Glad you made it down ok.

Yea, Sounds like your stick was not properly set. What I mean is that all four points of contact on the standoffs must touch the tree. I have sometimes set the stick on the tree and due to the tree not being exactly round one leg of a stand off would not be touching the tree. Adjust the stick so that all for legs of the two standoffs are in contact with the tree.

I will definitely be checking and rechecking their set each and every time from now on. Pretty much just posted this to get feedback and put the scenario in the minds of others so they can be prepared and ready if/when something "unplanned" happens.

I rappel each time no matter how I climb up. I have 35' of oplux and it packs up really small.

Learning to climb and descend 1 stick is a nice skill set to have if you find yourself in that situation again.

Goes to show you when something goes wrong in the woods how quick even a fit person can wear themselves out. It's hard to slow yourself down, but in situations like that, it's so important. It's not only physically exhausting but mentally as well

This was exactly what I wanted to get across, you just put it into better wording. Breath, relax, and work the situation. Thanks!

I never climb a tree without some kind of "suspension relief" strap handy. They come with most of the commercial treestand harnesses. Girth hitched around the tree and you can effectively "one stick" down with that and your teather.

We're not all young and pliable anymore . . . I can't jump off a kitchen chair anymore.:tearsofjoy:
If he was on his third stick up and using an aider, that's a jump I wouldn't want to make unless I was hunting one of my trees that hangs over the creek.

I have jumped dang near 20ft before though. My dad was hunting about a hundred yards away in some young pines and i heard gasping and retching. All i could think was he had fallen and punctured a lung or something. Got over there and apparently his breakfast bisquit disagreed with him...he felt better once he got it off his stomach.

We laughed, and went off to find a non-polluted spot. Good times.

I will say when ever I get in a jam climbing up or down, just tether up! It’s way less physically & mentally taxing. You can hang without a good foothold if need be. Just leave it on & work it down as you climb.
Glad you're ok and things worked out good for you. It's amazing how much energy a shot of adrenaline can burn isn't it. Bottom line is you managed to work it out and successfully found you can overcoe the adversity. That's a good thing.

@Bigterp is giving some great advice. You can always sit the saddle and catch a breather while you let yourself calm down. Once calm you can think more logically through the steps necessary and then make them happen. As a one stick climber I know full well what you mean by setting sticks below being hard.. Its one of the reasons I practice it several times a year despite the fact that I generally rappel. You never know when you might need the alternative.

Back