• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2 Questions on Rappeling

Gr33n Arrow

I presently use Stepps for climbing and next season, I hope to incorporate an Aider on my tether for going up as well as Rappeling down with same tether (35’). As I am spending all my money in true SaddleHunter fashion, I started thinking about the Paracord attached to tether loop for Rope removal after you rappel down, which I have read about several times.

My questions for those Rappeling are:
1) Are you removing Ropeman, prussik, etc. prior to Rappeling so they do not catch on loop when loosening for retrieval, and is the objective to simply loosen enough so tether falls down the tree?
2) What happens when your tether is above a branch, is the objective to pull the loop end all the way down the tree so that you may then feed the end through?

Simply trying to think things through as I am awaiting numerous deliveries. Thanks in advance for the great info I am sure to receive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My rappel rope is not my tether, but yes, you would remove the Ropeman or anything that would interfere with the rope as pull it down.
And yes, you pull the loop end with d link or biner to the bottom. The rope feeds up thru it as you pull the loop down. Much easier than it sounds. In the trees I hunt my rappel rope is always above branches.

This is how I did it last year and found success. Others will probably have a better way.
1) Yes! Definitely remove everything. If there are no branches, it will want to come all the way down the tree.
2) I used a link last year. Don't tie your paracord to the link. Tie it to the loop that the link is tied to. It'll give you better leverage for trees with sticky bark. You'll have to pull it all the way down to you if there are branches.

Hope that helps

This has been most helpful guys. Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back