• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2 Rope Climbing Method?

donnieballgame

Noticed Sam Potter's YouTube video on his 2 rope method, has anyone tried this? Seems like a pretty simple, lightweight setup. If you have tried it, what are you using for your feet?

I just use a 5 step aider. You can move farther in each transition. These techniques can get tricky on slanted trees.

Also take a look at the XOP Hand Climber Seat. If you don't mind carrying it...it's an easy climb and you get to stand on it for a platform

Hmmm, thought I really wanted to do this saddle thing but I can't decide how to climb the darn tree's, maybe I'll just go with a climbing tree stand, that's pretty much what the XOP Hand Climber Seat is, right am I missing something?

It all comes down to versatility and preference. I have a climber that I alternate sits with WHEN I CAN FIND A TREE TO HANG IT ON. I prefer the saddle on public land and I can make a much quieter ascend to shooting height and that's very important hunting around bedding like we are. Out in the middle of the woods away from bedding a climber is fine. Sure, one can climb with a climbing tree stand fairly quiet if you really focus and don't make a mistake.

Sticks are the easiest way to climb the tree safely, efficiently, and quietly. One Stick method requires you to carry less weight but uses a lot more energy to climb the tree. Spurs are probably the fastest but illegal on public land. In my opinion seems no matter how you dice it up all the gear or climber will weigh between 18-22lbs if you're doing it safely. So pick what ever way you want to ... easy of climb or overall versatility. Keep in mind that using a climber is going to limit you to what trees you can hunt out of, where the saddle that is infinite. I was able to hunt areas last year with the saddle where there were no options for a climber.. had deer feet away from my tree while I was up 20' high above them in a tree that I would never have been able to use a climber on.

Hmmm, thought I really wanted to do this saddle thing but I can't decide how to climb the darn tree's, maybe I'll just go with a climbing tree stand, that's pretty much what the XOP Hand Climber Seat is, right am I missing something?
Why don't you just use sticks? There are lots of ways that guys have tried to climb trees, but sticks are tried and true. If you are using a place where you can use screw in steps, I use them all the time also.

Climbing sticks and a climber seat and youre all set with climbing needs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Climbing sticks and a climber seat and youre all set with climbing needs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I ended up getting the XOP Hand climber....and some SRT stuff. I really wanted to be able to rappel and self-rescue or just get down quickly. Climbing sticks seemed pretty bulky to me. I've done a few practice climbs with the XOP hand climber and while it isn't the easiest thing, I'm ok with it and I have a few ideas on how to make it a little easier next time, so we'll see. Most of the trees around here are perfect tree climber tree's seems like there are no trees with limbs, at least below 50', I think I will end up climbing pretty high because of that.

my preferred method is using the xop hand climber seat as a platform.... it gets easier with practice... I also use it to just get high enough in trees to get to climbable branches... sometimes I reattach it for my platform after climbing the branches, sometimes I just put my feet on the branches... I use two tethers when I do so I'm always connected to the tree... I have a small tether that I think came with my XOP hand climber that's perfect for it...

my preferred method is using the xop hand climber seat as a platform.... it gets easier with practice... I also use it to just get high enough in trees to get to climbable branches... sometimes I reattach it for my platform after climbing the branches, sometimes I just put my feet on the branches... I use two tethers when I do so I'm always connected to the tree... I have a small tether that I think came with my XOP hand climber that's perfect for it...

That's basically what I've been "trying" to do, hopefully, I get better at it, I've been carrying 2 tethers as well for moving around branches, I dropped the lineman belt mod I did to my rock climbing harness because I had never used it. Hopefully I can find some trees with branches so far everything I've seen around here is a telephone pole.

Back