• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

20" Single stick vs. Short Stick

Cvan1971man

What are the pros of going with a short stick such as a 12" or 14" vs. a 20" climbing stick for single stick climbing?

Really good question! Following.

I started one-sticking with the 20" Muddy Pros. So two double steps, and no issues. But they were double steps... Once I added a UP platform to my setup via a EWO one-stick, the situation changed as far as room for my shins. I went with the 15" EWO stick despite a lot of people seeming to prefer 12". Even at 15" it's a shin buster for sure, and the step transition from the bottom double step to the UP platform did take some getting used to. Basically have to immediately hook my knees around the platform to get comfortable once on the bottom step. I can't imagine using a 12" stick, and am considering swapping out to the 18" stick just to get more shin room to make the move easier.

Only benefit to the 12" stick that I can think of is portability when hiking in. Interested to hear why people are using the 12" sticks if not for portability alone.

I have thought the same thing. I have a 20” now with a 3 step aider. Waiting on my hsp to go on it. I was originally going to cut it down but. I just seem to like the 20”. I’m thinking ill just stick to 20”. They hsp and a predator platform with 2 squirrel steps will give a ton of room to position

Nothing. It’s personal preference and pack ability. An 18” stick fits my back pack perfect. However a 10” stick fits in the saddle bag on my bike. To each is own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have thought the same thing. I have a 20” now with a 3 step aider. Waiting on my hsp to go on it. I was originally going to cut it down but. I just seem to like the 20”. I’m thinking ill just stick to 20”. They hsp and a predator platform with 2 squirrel steps will give a ton of room to position

What is a hsp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought of another potential benefit to running the shorter one-sticks. The shorter the stick is, the closer the cam cleat will be to the platform, and the easier it will be to remove the rope during a move. Difference in cam cleat position would probably only be an inch or two, but I know from experience that there have been times that I really could have used that extra inch or two of easier access when I was straining. Not saying that would be a deal-maker for a short stick, but something to consider.

I've gone through a handful of one-sticks and right around 18" works best for me.

I've got a converted muddy pro with the EWO UP and the step length is perfect for me.

I’ve got these two sticks and actually like the full size stick best. It has a single step aider and the short one has a two step that was originally 3. My bow is on my pack so all I carry in hand is my stick. I get to tree and am ready to climb.
AE88A1F6-5552-4015-87EB-B5C3B6906A79.jpeg
And that’s the HSP on the short stick. This is more for a short sit hunt. With the long one i bring my full size platform with 3 ROS on the strap.

I’ve got these two sticks and actually like the full size stick best. It has a single step aider and the short one has a two step that was originally 3. My bow is on my pack so all I carry in hand is my stick. I get to tree and am ready to climb.
View attachment 67525
And that’s the HSP on the short stick. This is more for a short sit hunt. With the long one i bring my full size platform with 3 ROS on the strap.
That is exactly what im after but I’d still bring my platform

Back