• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2020 Wisconsin Saddlehunter Meetup - Rescheduled for Aug 22nd

ofor

This event is all about getting together with like minded individuals to learn from each other and expose non-saddle hunters to the benefits of this hunting system. I am partnerning up with Sherwood Forest Bowmen who is holding their annual bow hunters warmup 3D shoot and open house that weekend so this should be a fun event for everyone.

Event activities:
- Demos of different saddles, platforms, climbing methods
- Demo of self-filming gear (TBD)
- Opportunities to try out different gear
- Random drawing giveaways in the saddle area (if can we can line up some saddle company swag)
- Raffles in the Sherwood Forest clubhouse (tickets for purchase to support the club)
- Lunch (Sherwood Forest will have grilled burgers / brats, chips, soda / beer / water for purchase as part of their open house activities).
- 3D archery shoot (Sherwood Forest is open to non-members that weekend to experience their club and to shoot their excellent 3D course. They have a nice variety of targets and have a few fun shoot stations as well (flying pig, 88 yard elk, baloon shoot for the kids). They charge around $15 to shoot the course as many times as you want throughout the entire weekend.
- Socializing

Date: Rescheduled for August 22
Time: 9am - 2:00pm
N61W25600 Walnut Rd.
Sussex, WI 53089

Event parameters:
- Saddle attendees that wish to do any climbing will be be required to sign a waiver of responsibility.
- Alcohol will be available for purchase at the Sherwood Forest event. I would ask that you not drink prior to doing any climbing. After you are done climbing, drink responsibly.
- We may be restricted from climbing higher than a certain height - TBD on this one pending confirmation from their insurance carrier
- Since this is an open house for Sherwood Forest, I fully expect we will have non-saddle hunters stop by to check out what we have going on. I will be looking for some of you experienced saddle hunters to explain your gear and answer questions and for you new saddle hunters to share why you decided to switch to this system.
- The saddle part of the event will be free to all attendees. The Sherwood Forest 3D shoot will require payment.
- Individuals that pay the fee Sherwood Forest fee will have full access to the target range and 3D range anytime throughout their open house on Saturday and Sunday
- Since this is an open house and they are being generous to let us use some of their space, no pre-signup will be required for the meetup. I would however like to get a "I'm in" headcount ahead of time for those that will be for sure attending just so we know what gear will be on-hand to show off.
- They do have a limited number of weekend camping opportunities available on the grounds if someone is coming in from outside of the area and wants to make a weekend out of it.
- Direct message @ofor on saddlehunter.com with any questions

Last edited:
I would totally support the youth trap league and probably tip them on top of the cost of food. Thanks for putting this together @ofor

This is awesome, and exactly what I was hoping to find on this forum. Thank you so much for organizing it ofor, and as per my response on the sign up form, let me know what I can do to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless work stops me, I'll be there.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I may have to join in on this!! I havent been on sh in quite some time but this is definitely something I'd be interested in!! If I can make it I'll bring both sets of un altered heliums and my mantis for people to try.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I signed up and checked off several areas I could help with. The intention for doing so is to say: "slot me in wherever help is needed". With one caveat that I'm not working all day and don't get time to try out the goodies, lol. :grinning:

I signed up but maybe moving that weekend... I'm hoping to not have to move that weekend but if the house is ready I have to move per the wife. Otherwise, my son and I will be there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I met with the DBCL safety officer last weekend to identify a location. The most ideal spot is adjacent to the parking lot, rest rooms, and grills for lunch. The trees in that area are larger than we would normally hang from. I demoed my Mantis and predator platform and the predator strap was just long enough. Now, we are at the mercy of COVID-19...

328947E2-6055-4AF7-8136-A4E946F638ED.jpeg

Selling of goods will not be allowed on the DBCL grounds per their solicitation rules. That doesn’t mean you can’t strike a deal with someone and complete the transaction on the road at the end of the driveway :).

Signed up (hoping that current situation will improve by June 6 )

Lol, watch me sit in this saddle I got here. Can you feel the comfort of this thing. It is a game changer. It may come down to this... In all seriousness, I wouldn’t mind doing a video conference if the in-person isn’t able to happen as a show and tell of our setups. Obviously doesn’t have all the benefits of an in-person meetup but does accomplish a few of the intended goals:
  • Socializing with like minded individuals
  • Putting a name/face with a Saddlehunter handle
  • Seeing others gear
  • Time to ask questions
  • On the plus side - we can have a beer in our hands this way and don’t have to follow any rules...

I think that would be great! My H2 is supposed to arrive today, so hopefully by then I will all set. Now... how to rig my laptop up in the tree with me...

Quick update on the meetup. The host location (Daniel Boone Conservation League) opened back up on Thursday for member only shooting and associated social distancing requirements. That is a positive sign in the right direction but I still have have concerns whether I will be allowed to have this larger gathering there on the June 6 date. For those that haven’t signed up yet, please do that now so I have the ability for direct communication. Final planning is going to have to kick into high gear on short notice when I get the green light.

What is everyone’s thoughts that signed up:
1. Play it by ear for a few more weeks and try to keep this date
2. Delay the meetup to later in the summer
3. Hold a virtual meetup on June 6 using Zoom to do intros and a little show and tell and follow up with an in person meetup later in the summer

I do have an alternate public land location in mind if Daniel Boone pulls the plug but I need to check it out for non sap bearing trees near the parking lot. Having it at this location will change a few things up.

All, I have waited as long as I could before making a final decision on whether to postpone the meetup. The large majority of people that responded to my last post were in the camp to postpone until later in the summer. I respect everyone’s opinion on both side of the argument.

With that said, I am pulling the plug on the June 6 date and delaying the meetup to later in the summer. I’ll start working on an alternate date and will communicate details as soon as I have them.

@ofor ,

I am relocating to Southern Wisconsin as I retire from the Army in August. In the event your event continues to be delayed, I would love to meet up. Just ordered a Phantom and am interested in discussions about the hunting landscape in WI compared to my other experiences. I hope everyone is safe in the chaos.

Back