• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

3 D Printer Steps

Ok...I don't know a thing about 3 D printing, but has anyone ever tried to make steps or lightweight gear with a 3D printer? How tough and lightweight is the plastic/resin/whatever used in the machine? I'm thinking if someone had access to one of those babies they could crank out steps for pennies. .. if they were strong enough.

They make composite replacement human joints, parts for aero and auto from 3d printed materials. The only caveat is its typically very costly to make high quality 3d prints from composite materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked into this. Maybe big companies have machines that can but a printer you or I could buy or order from is not going to be able to make parts that are strong enough due to the printing process where it is built up. Cnc is more practical because it shaved away a solid piece. I have also been looking into making a mold. A company has a resin to make rock climbing steps which I figure should be tough enough. My first attempt at making the mold didn't work well and I need about 100 bucks worth of their silicon to make another do that project has been put on hold for the time being. Hoping to try again after the season is over.

I used to rock climb....I have a booklet around here that shows how to make molds and fill them to make your own rock climbing wall (which I never got around to making!) I'll see if I can find it...maybe we can DIY some other nifty items using their method for hand and foot holds :lol:

ncsaddlebowhunter said:
I used to rock climb....I have a booklet around here that shows how to make molds and fill them to make your own rock climbing wall (which I never got around to making!) I'll see if I can find it...maybe we can DIY some other nifty items using their method for hand and foot holds :lol:

Yes if you have any good ideas for them, i saw a ton of rock climbing foot molds on ebay. My plan was to make a mold from an ameristep plastic step and then just "reproduce" them. It it ain't broke don't fix it! lol

I have actually witnessed two or three 3-D printers in action, in person. Very cool. Recently the first 3D printed gun was made and fired 50 or so times before falling. Yes it is awesome, but I'd give this new innovation another decade before I stand on its product 20+ feet up in a tree.
That's my 2 cents.

LASOutdoorsmen said:
I have actually witnessed two or three 3-D printers in action, in person. Very cool. Recently the first 3D printed gun was made and fired 50 or so times before falling. Yes it is awesome, but I'd give this new innovation another decade before I stand on its product 20+ feet up in a tree.
That's my 2 cents.

I have witnessed and worked with several designers and engineers who have both modeled 3D CAD data for 3D printing and have produced said model via 3D printing. It is a very, very cool technology.

But it is not the breakthrough in manufacturing that it was promised - yet.

It is still very costly to get a high-quality 3D print made and sculpted into something pleasant. Often 3D prints will be produced in a fairly rough manner, with a sculptor or designer refining the surfaces using old fashioned techniques (ie: sanding, filing) post printing.

Another stumbling block to 3D printing is cost. The cost per piece far exceeds what you would typically get for a more traditional manufacturing process. And while the materials selection has gotten much better recently, you are still somewhat limited - both by cost and by availability. For example, to get a 3D printing coffee mug using a food safe polymer might cost you somewhere in the ballpark of a couple hundred dollars. For a custom 3D print of your own CAD or modeling data $400-500. And that won't be using the latest and greatest materials and equipment.

Still, you can create objects that completely defy modern stamping and injection molded processes. It would be worthwhile for someone to explore a structurally sound and materially efficient design using 3D printing - because frankly this is where 3D printing technology shines right - and use it as a prototype to sell an idea. It is far less costly to create a 3D printed prototype (not a field ready one, mind you) rather than produce 10s of thousands of manufactured parts.

LooyvilleLarry said:
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Casting%20Resins&Name=Alumilite%20Regular

I have use some of that and its pretty damn strong. Let me see if I can engage some friends for creating some moulds.

I bought the RC-3, http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm ... es%20(RC-3)

That was the one that was used for rock climbing molds so I figured it would be good enough. I didn't realize what I was getting into making a mold box, I ended up not having nearly enough material to make the mold and tried to order more and recover but it didn't work out. I have to start that from scratch when I get a chance. I see no reason why it shouldn't work. The only caveat to the idea is you need to already have at least 1 step to make your mold from.

Does anyone have a step they can help with this on? Just get some modeling clay at Michaels or walmart, and make a simple mold . Or a broken step?

LooyvilleLarry said:
Does anyone have a step they can help with this on? Just get some modeling clay at Michaels or walmart, and make a simple mold . Or a broken step?

PM me your address. I have two of the recalled steps I will donate to the cause. I assume they are good enough for a mold since I don't think it was the design that was recalled, it was the material.

We have a huge 3D printer right here where I work that we use for mostly prototyping and some production stuff. Problem is the powder used to make stuff is so expensive I can't use it for something personal. There are composite powders for the printers that would be insanely strong but they are also very expensive! :cry:

I was reading an article about this guy who developed the "CBAM" process, an enhanced composite 3-d printing technology. Somebody needs to shell out the coin for some steps to see how it works :) . http://impossible-objects.com/

Back