• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

3 Sticks - How High?

Doug2020

Jun 18, 2020
I am looking at XOP Mini Sticks in a 3 pack
They are 22" in length.

I am new to tree stand hunting so before I jump into doing any more advanced maneuvers and stuff like one sticking I am planning on just getting comfortable going up and down and setting up a hang on tree stand.

Just wondering what I can expect to get for height using three 22" sticks.
I am 5'5 so reach will limit the height I can go up between sticks.

Would like to know approx max height under the following situations:

-no aiders
-aider on just bottom step
-aider on all steps

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
I am looking at XOP Mini Sticks in a 3 pack
They are 22" in length.

I am new to tree stand hunting so before I jump into doing any more advanced maneuvers and stuff like one sticking I am planning on just getting comfortable going up and down and setting up a hang on tree stand.

Just wondering what I can expect to get for height using three 22" sticks.
I am 5'5 so reach will limit the height I can go up between sticks.

Would like to know approx max height under the following situations:

-no aiders
-aider on just bottom step
-aider on all steps

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug
No Aiders
Assuming its 22" step to step. 22" x 3 = 66"
spacing them 22" a part (reasonable for beginner and someone of your height) 22" x 3 = 66"
For a hang on (and beginner) most recommend setting the platform of your hang on at or below you top step. Assuming the best case scenario here that puts your height at the height of your sticks.
66" + 66" = 132" or 11'
132"+22"(stepping up to platform) = 154" or 12.83'

How many step aider for the bottom?
1 step aider on bottom stick step only
132" + 22" = 154" or 12.83'
154"+22" (stepping up to platform) = 176" or 14.66'

Aider (assuming one step aider) on each stick
22" x 3 (sticks) = 66"
132" + 66" = 198" or 16.5'
198"+22" (stepping up to platform) = 220" or 18.33'

There are many variations to this. One if what you can physically do. You may be able to space sticks more that 22". Just 2" on all your step and aider spacing could get you a foot and a half more on all these values.
3(aiders) x2"= 6"
3(spacing) x 2"=6"
3(sticks) x 2" = 6"

Figuring out how high you can get is fun. Just add stuff up. But don't trust my numbers, have your own fun!

Reactions: Ontariofarmer

Wyatt_burp

Jul 1, 2019
3 sticks no aider should be able to get you near 15', give or take a bit.

3 sticks with a webbing step on the bottom should add another 2' per stick, ie: measure the distance from your chin to the ground, put the bottom of each stick at chin level, use a linemans rope to step a bit higher than naturally. Hopefully 20' but you will have aiders hanging and swinging in the breeze.

Single sticking isnt hard, and if you repel back down, its smooth as silk with nothing in deer eyesight unless you are moving like crazy. It's also stupid safe if done right because you are always tethered to the tree.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Doug2020

Jun 18, 2020
Thanks for the reply
My main reason for asking is to determine if I should buy a 4 stick pack of the 22" steps or if I can get away with a 3 pack for cost and weight savings.
There is also the other option of getting the 34" sticks in a 3 or 4 pack.

Wyatt_burp

Jul 1, 2019
Thanks for the reply
My main reason for asking is to determine if I should buy a 4 stick pack of the 22" steps or if I can get away with a 3 pack for cost and weight savings.
There is also the other option of getting the 34" sticks in a 3 or 4 pack.
Listen, most of us went through a few different ways of climbing and more than a few dollars to figure it out. If you are cool with packing them in, out, and climbing with them just get the 4 pack. I always hunt deep on public land, so anything I pack in, I gotta pack out each time. If you can drag a deer with 4 sticks and other gear, you will be scurrying up and down with just the sticks. Most of us that go light or super light have to hike a long way in and out.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

VASteve

SH Member
Feb 10, 2020
Southwest Virginia
Before buying the XOP mini sticks, understand that the stick length is 22 inches, but if you take a closer look at them, the step spacing is only about 17 or so inches. There looks to be about 5 inches of stick under the bottom step for the locking stuff.

Doug2020

Jun 18, 2020
Before buying the XOP mini sticks, understand that the stick length is 22 inches, but if you take a closer look at them, the step spacing is only about 17 or so inches. There looks to be about 5 inches of stick under the bottom step for the locking stuff.

Very good observation.
Maybe the 3 pack of 34" normal size sticks is the way to go.

Reactions: Hunter260