• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

33 ft aider

jakhammer

Anyone ever try using a throw bag and one of these instead of srt or sticks?
WAWLIVING Climbing Aider Rope Strap Daisy Chain 33 Feet

Throw bag over limb, then when suspending the rope, pull another throw line through at the same time - then once rope is cinched, use 2nd throw line to raise an ascender with the aider attached....climb the aider, setup and rapell down. less than 3 lbs

Last edited:
With the instability of it, it would be hard to climb it and move up your linemans belt or tether at the same time, I would think.

If you have a line over a limb, I don’t see the need for the aider.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rope is the heaviest part of SRT climbing gear. Ascender and decender is about $125. With this aider, you need something to hook to the rope, an ascender or prusik loop and a descender. Add this aider for more weight. It should work, I guess.
Edit: I have one rope and one throwline. Adding a second throwline and a 33 foot aider would sure make a much bigger tangle. Underbrush grabs onto anything that even resembles a rope or a line. :mask:

Last edited:
Anyone ever try using a throw bag and one of these instead of srt or sticks?
WAWLIVING Climbing Aider Rope Strap Daisy Chain 33 Feet

Throw bag over limb, then when suspending the rope, pull another throw line through at the same time - then once rope is cinched, use 2nd throw line to raise an ascender with the aider attached....climb the aider, setup and rapell down. less than 3 lbs
It's heavier and would be much more difficult and unsafe to use than SRT. Doesn't seem useful. Seems like a terrible way to fall.

If you did use something like a super long aider, it'd probably be better to attach it at 6-8ft (in the middle), climb a bit, strap it on further up, etc. Still probably terrible though.

Rope is the heaviest part of SRT climbing gear. Ascender and decender is about $125. With this aider, you need something to hook to the rope, an ascender or prusik loop and a descender. Add this aider for more weight. It should work, I guess.
Edit: I have one rope and one throwline. Adding a second throwline and a 33 foot aider would sure make a much bigger tangle. Underbrush grabs onto anything that even resembles a rope or a line. :mask:
In the method I described, yu are only throwing 1 line - the second throw;ine is pulled up with the rope to be used to raise the ascender and aider ladder

With the instability of it, it would be hard to climb it and move up your linemans belt or tether at the same time, I would think.

If you have a line over a limb, I don’t see the need for the aider.

Semper Fi,
Mike
You woudn't need an additional tether or lb - you can just use the mainline as your tether/lifeline

In the method I described, yu are only throwing 1 line - the second throw;ine is pulled up with the rope to be used to raise the ascender and aider ladder
I guess the bigger question...is what's the point? You're doing all of the "hard" and "limiting" parts of SRT (getting the rope in the tree, carrying more or less all of the equipment needed.), then skipping the easy part (climbing the rope) and instead raising a snaggy, unstable, sketchy, heavy 33ft long aider? It just seems like a way to carry more and heavier stuff and climb in a more hazardous and difficult manner. I can't even begin to imagine the wobbliness, unsteadiness, and kickouts climbing a 10 meter long aider. Seems like it'd be a heck of a core workout.

I guess the bigger question...is what's the point? You're doing all of the "hard" and "limiting" parts of SRT (getting the rope in the tree, carrying more or less all of the equipment needed.), then skipping the easy part (climbing the rope) and instead raising a snaggy, unstable, sketchy, heavy 33ft long aider? It just seems like a way to carry more and heavier stuff and climb in a more hazardous and difficult manner. I can't even begin to imagine the wobbliness, unsteadiness, and kickouts climbing a 10 meter long aider. Seems like it'd be a heck of a core workout.
I am just looking at options - I have yet to see an srt video where the climb is quiet enough to hunt near a bedding area with all the metal on metal rattling.

This is an option too for SRT. The weight will be at or more than most methods but at least you'll be tied off the whole time. The telescopic poles are pretty cheap and weigh around 4 or 5 lbs.

This is an option too for SRT. The weight will be at or more than most methods but at least you'll be tied off the whole time. The telescopic poles are pretty cheap and weigh around 4 or 5 lbs.
great video - this guys climb was fairly quiet.
Thanks for your time responding guys I really appreciate it - I am new to this and have a lot to learn. My platform just showed up today, time to get out and start practicing with the saddle

I am just looking at options - I have yet to see an srt video where the climb is quiet enough to hunt near a bedding area with all the metal on metal rattling.
I have yet to see a video of any climbing method that's really reflective of actual hunting situations. They're all noisy and on improbably perfect trees. You're still using an ascender here which would be the primary potential for metal on metal noise (and sending it up away where you can't control it). You're using something else for progress capture (prusik? another ascender?)

That sounds like just as much "metal on metal" as SRT (and if you really want to you can SRT with hitches). And you expect to use a throwbag hunting near bedding? Good luck.

Not trying to be tough on you or anything, but climbing aiders is a giant pain in the but, and so is putting a throwbag in a tree quietly and consistently.

SRT really just needs 2 ascending devices, both of which can be made quiet. You see a lot of videos with people adding pulleys, reroutes, etc. to add mechanical advantage...but none of that's truly needed.

You woudn't need an additional tether or lb - you can just use the mainline as your tether/lifeline

Then why even use the aider? DRT or SRT at that point. You can SRT inexpensively with hitches and tenders. The aider, to me, creates a point of instability due to its long length. Ascending that aider is much different than descending it.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Back