• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

3D Targets: Delta Mackenzie Bloodline XL vs Glendale XL

gcr0003

SH Member
I got this Delta Mackenzie target based on some recommendations I saw on this site as an alternative to the Glendale buck I used for the passed three years. Most of my comparisons will be to the Glendale buck as it’s the only other 3D target I have owned.

1. Stability/Structure
The first thing I noticed about the DM target is that the legs were reinforced with a plastic backer where the legs connect. They twist lock into place and much more secure that then GB. The legs on the Glendale were just foam locking tongue and groove and were more fragile. The neck connection on the DM is a slide locking type and is ok. It was easy to put together and hasn’t come apart yet. The head is a part of neck on DM like a wall mount so the only added parts are the antlers and ears. The antlers just get pushed into the foam by small cross stake type ends. These really need to be glue in because simply shooting the target will back them out and they break easily. The Glendale buck head sits down into the neck piece and the antlers fit in the head like a post. The Glendale head is a lot more robust design. The body of the DM is one piece of the same foam so it is very sturdy. The Glendale buck is comprised of several pieces that holds a cube (target) in the center. It does not hold together very well for very long, as a result I had to use straps for a year or so to keep everything together.

2. Realism
I think the DM Bloodline is a very real anatomically correct/proportionate 3D Target, which is one reason I went with this target. The molding of the body shows important features such as the shoulder and front leg. The head and neck look ok as well.

The Glendale buck is less anatomically correct. Since the goal of this target was to fit a cube target within a deer, the target is naturally bigger in the chest and body of the deer. This gives you a bigger target for practice which can be a good or bad thing.

3. Durability
This is the area that has been the biggest disappointment to me. Like I already mentioned I had an antler break in the first two weeks. More importantly I have had the DM for a little over a month maybe two and I’m already breaking through the target. I have only shot field points and traditional bows into this target so this is very disappointing. I do shoot a lot so maybe my expectations need checked. I’m strongly considering contacting DM and seeing how many shots they expect to get out of this target. I paid a little more for this target but is not a replaceable core version. I have been sharing my shots between it and another DM shoulder target I got, so it’s seen even less shots than it normally would. Arrows were a pain to pull from this target, that is until the target wore down. Since there is nothing hardly left stopping the arrows, they pull easy if you hit where it’s worn out. Anywhere else you hit will be difficult to extract.

The Glendale buck has taken a lot of shots over the past 3 years. I would estimate between 5-8,000 shots which included moderate use of broadheads as well and compound. The way the Glendale achieves this is the cube. With the 4 sides. You can rotate the target and wear out different corners of the target, which gives you much more life with the shot portion of the target. Additionally the cube of the Glendale has a different type of foam for the outside versus the core. The core is more dense which serves to really stop the arrow. This reduction in penetration makes extracting arrows quite easy compared to the DM.

Who comes out on top for each category
1. Structure: DM, antlers only real complaint
2. Realism: DM
3. Durability: Glendale

I’m not sure what I’m going to do next. I just spent $250 or so for these two DM targets as was really hoping to get more than a couple good months out of them.

A94FBECE-8490-45BC-8DD4-A3E0145A50F6.jpegE8B6CE8E-0942-41E9-87E2-2C5DA558443D.jpegFE91A0DB-AA9D-46A9-B5C4-9BE57C834AC9.jpeg59823F4C-6EEB-419F-BDDA-E8F348ABD36C.jpegA2FDE648-16A4-4221-A37C-296DF2FA5D42.jpeg

That is pretty bad. I have some $80 Shooter targets that have lasted longer than that.
Yea I know I shoot a fair bit but man this is disappointing. I contacted DM customer service this morning with pictures and just shared my experience. I’m not expecting a refund or anything but curious what they have to say about the durability of this target. I know it’s not their most expensive target but it is also not the cheapest either.

Filed a warranty claim and emailed DM over a month ago now. I’m very disappointed. Experiences like this will spur me to never using a brand again.

@87v6bird saw your post on aldeer so instead of retyping everything I thought I’d just tag you here. Above is my experience with DM targets.

Back