• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

3rd year in the saddle and finally got everything dialed

buckwalleye

Took me a while, but I think I finally figured out my personal favorite climbing, platform, hunting, etc. method. I went through the gamut of many popular climbing methods and fussed with a diy platform from a lone wolf seat. I should also add that perhaps my favorite part of my newfound system is a new pack I got. Picked up a kuiu venture 1800. In combination with that, I'm running; 4 muddy pro sticks, just added the mini platform to replace the top step from artisan outdoor fabrication, aero hunter kestrel saddle, my tether is from some bulk sterling rope I got a while back, with a ropeman 1. The sticks fit so nicely on the outside of the pack - the pack has 4 straps that lash them on very securely. The pack has plenty of room for my needs; fits the saddle, rope, kill kit, water, snacks, a couple layers, binos, rangefinder, etc. In one of the side pocket of the pack I keep 2 small screw in hangers (I know not legal everywhere), and a summit retractable bow hoist.

The first and nearly second muddy stick I can attach from ground level (second stick I'm usually only standing on the first step of the first stick). The other 2 sticks I have a small paracord loop with a small nite ize clip that I clip on each side of my saddle as I start climbing. Then hook my bow up to the hoist, put my pack on, and start climbing. Also here, I hook up my tether as if i was hunting, and run it through the saddle bridge. I hate having a bag full of ropes all over. I keep it head high and tight, and I'm easily able to use 2 hands to get my other sticks up. When I'm on the top step, no rope swapping and I'm ready to go. Also, that artisan outdoor mini platform is pretty friggin sweet. Takes side pressure absolutely rock solid. I do like to lean quite a bit, and its probably not super ideal for a leaner. Your feet will rest right on that 90 degree angle, and can get little uncomfortable (at least for me) for prolonged leaning. Great for sitting though.

I may throw a rope loop around the bottom step of my first stick, so I can use that as my first step up, and be able to get another couple feet higher up if needed (one step aider I guess? ).

Another great thing about that kuiu pack, especially for saddle hunting, is that padded hip belt. I put one screw-in hanger on the side of the tree to hang the pack. I position it so the hip belt on the pack works awesome for a knee pad (see pic). The pack also has nice top pockets to keep rangefinder, calls, etc. right there. I throw my bino harness on the hanger and keep them situated on top of the pack so I can grab them super close. (Bino harness is not comfortable for me to wear in the saddle, seems to pinch in between the bridge and is just annoying for me....maybe it's just my bino harness? Anyone else have problems with this?)

It's nice for me not packing in sticks, platform, knee cushion or pad, multiple ropes, etc. Just toss the saddle and tether in the pack, sticks on the outside, done and ready to rock.

Well that turned into a long winded post! Good luck to everyone out there this season!
e5f53ff34bd575515ef792c30ee663ec.jpg
46b18f5bb7715bc4d5825f87641fc1b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks like a nice setup. I change stuff constantly, never satisfied. Lol.

I try to learn something from everyone here, ima gonna try your knee pad trick with my pack. I have the 2300. Be nice to shed my knee pads for this. You stuff that pocket with something too?

I try to learn something from everyone here, ima gonna try your knee pad trick with my pack. I have the 2300. Be nice to shed my knee pads for this. You stuff that pocket with something too?
I haven't put anything in the hip pocket. Might be a good spot to put toilet paper in though. Extra padding on the knees and easily accessible just in case!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Same here. I ran 3 sticks as well for first saddle season. Currently 1 stickin. Looks like your set up is nice and compact. Best of luck this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back